13AA Tournament

Voller5

Hopefully the teams have the opportunity to settle this on the floor tomorrow. The kids from Obion County and Dyersburg deserve the opportunity to move up in the seedings heading to region play. Going a step further we have to consider the impact this makes on District 13AA if the games are not played tomorrow. It has already been eight days since our teams took the floor. That number could increase to eleven by the start of region play. 

I'd be interested in knowing how the other school's ADs felt about playing today.  I mean all 3 schools traveling to Martin have a pretty straight shot on well traveled roads.  I can't imagine those roads didn't have a clear driving path today.  Those boys and coaches deserve the right to play it out.  If I'm Obion I'm really ticked if I don't get a shot at a #1 spot.  Does the host AD get to make all final decisions?  What about the money lost if games don't get played?  You'd think TSSAA would not be happy about that.

Hope i dont hear of these teams purposely trying to lose like i did tonight with 15-AA. Covington and Ripley led both of the games at half. Upon both teams hearing scores from Memphis, pulled the starters in the third quarter. Thats not cool IMO. You dont stop playing because you dont want to face a certain team. Also heard RIverdale girls did it also. TSSAA needs to look at this.

Hope i dont hear of these teams purposely trying to lose like i did tonight with 15-AA. Covington and Ripley led both of the games at half. Upon both teams hearing scores from Memphis, pulled the starters in the third quarter. Thats not cool IMO. You dont stop playing because you dont want to face a certain team. Also heard RIverdale girls did it also. TSSAA needs to look at this.

I heard about that too and if it's true then it's a disgrace.  No teams in 13AA trying to purposely loose.  We just want to be able to play our freakin games.

Just FYI, it wasn't Westview's admin and coaches that didn't want to play. Dyersburg's AD had a fit about playing the games too! Westview got out in tractors this morning to work on the parking lot just to get it to where the games could be played. If they wanted the easy way out, they wouldn't have went to that extent to make sure the games were played.

However, the championship was decided on the court tonight with Westview winning against Obion Co for the 3rd time this season. If you were at the game, I would say that McMillan for Westview was the difference in the game. With the MVP of the district out for Westview, a lot of question marks were in place as to how good they would be now. McMillan is one of the ones that has stepped up to help fill Sams' void. Should be a fun region tournament!

• Upvote 1

Just FYI, it wasn't Westview's admin and coaches that didn't want to play. Dyersburg's AD had a fit about playing the games too! Westview got out in tractors this morning to work on the parking lot just to get it to where the games could be played. If they wanted the easy way out, they wouldn't have went to that extent to make sure the games were played.

However, the championship was decided on the court tonight with Westview winning against Obion Co for the 3rd time this season. If you were at the game, I would say that McMillan for Westview was the difference in the game. With the MVP of the district out for Westview, a lot of question marks were in place as to how good they would be now. McMillan is one of the ones that has stepped up to help fill Sams' void. Should be a fun region tournament!

Wow........why would you want to place blame on someone else?  And why on earth would Dyersburg AD not want to play games?  That makes no sense. Westview is the host and the "extent" to make sure the parking lot is safe for players and fans is their job and their job alone.  Just like every other school that was hosting had to work to get their parking lot and  facilities ready.  The difference is most other schools didn't wait until Sunday to do it.  I personally had a good time at the games at Westview and thought the people and hospitality room were great.  But let's not point fingers at another school or AD for a job or decision that belonged to Westview.

• Upvote 1

There's really no way to dispute that Westview- as host- was who made the decisions regarding the tournament. Or maybe you meant to type the word "just" in your first sentence.

I don't see why anyone at Dyersburg--or SGC or OCC for that matter-- would have been opposed to playing today's games.  Why would Dyersburg not want the opportunity to improve their seeding?

WV did have to go to "that extent" by clearing the parking lot. When a school hosts a district tournament, clearing snow and ice from the parking lot is the host school's responsibility. Maybe if that was done Saturday morning we could have avoided having to play on Sunday. Like all host sites, Dyer County cleared a much larger parking lot in less time for the 13AAA tournament. They played their games Saturday...

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the games at Westview (minus the drive).  How the tournament was handled in regards to the weather, however.. eh.. it was iffy. It was a difficult situation given that Westview was the northernmost host site and the northernmost school in our district, but I'm just thankful the kids got finish things out.