A real state tournament

ccleveland

russianbear, I have been to the Ag Center and am aware of the floor. I'm assuming TSSAA was also aware of the setup when they decided to move the tournament there. Again, I'm not saying it's the best place to have it. But, again, what other solutions have been presented and who's going to do the work to pull it off? It's my understanding that the people who work the tables and manage the floor are volunteers from Williamson County Schools. Running 12 mats for that period of time takes a lot of people. I think when it was in Chattanooga Soddy Daisy handled the bulk of that work with some help from a few others. Are there other groups now stepping up saying they will do it at Clarksville or Chattanooga? The venues for Iowa and Ohio are impressive, but I would bet they don't just magically happen. There are a lot of volunteers working behind the scenes to pull it off. Is Soddy offering to do it again, or Baylor, or McCallie? This subject keeps coming up every year, but no one seems to want to help fix it.

I think putting it somewhere that can only hold 8 mats will require the AAA tournament to be cut to a 16 man bracket, which might not be a bad thing.

Have been told indirectly that the City of Clarksville & Austin Peay State University together want to host the state wrestling tournament. AAA should be cut to a 16 man bracket as the number of teams have been reduced due to D2 & A/AA being added. PA operates the AA & AAA tournament and different times but in the same venue. They have the AA finals, clear the arena and then have the AAA finals later in the day. The problem with people in Tennessee is two fold:

1. No one wants to sacrifice anything for the betterment of the sport

2. Like it or not the state wrestling tournament is a business and the TSSAA has no vision about growing the tournament and the fact like any business venture you must take some risk.

Edited by cbg

I think the tournament has gotten better and better at the Ag Center. I haven't heard one kid complain about the venue Except for the fact that there is not a good warm up area. In Iowa and PA, people bring their families to watch the tournament because they have been involved in wrestling all their lives. Average Tennessean could care less about going to see wrestling. Until that changes, we can't compare ourselves to big wrestling states.

• Upvote 1

I suppose the reason that I'm so passionate about this is because of my own personal experience. I had the opportunity to compete in Market Square Arena (where the Indiana Pacers used to play) my sophomore, junior and senior year of high school. This after visualizing and dreaming about it through middle school. I've never been into recognition and accolades, but I can assure you I was extremely motivated by the opportunity to compete in this facility. Looking back (with the exception of getting married and the birth of my son) it was probably the single most exciting experience of my life. That includes three trips to the D1 NCAA's at the University of Maryland, Oky State and Iowa. The experience I had as a 15 year old kid was indescribable, almost magical. 

The saddest thing is it isn't just the 'big wrestling states' that allow the wrestlers to compete in first class facilities for the state tournament. Is Alabama a 'big wrestling state'? How bout Georgia? Or North Carloina?

Mat 73557, you seem to be saying "since our kids don't know any better, it doesn't matter". I would have to disagree. It matters. Kids are a whole lot smarter than you think they are. They know exactly how important what they do is to those that host events and those that watch the events and those involved. The proof is in the product for the kids and everyone else around the country to see. How does TN rank the importance of high school wrestling? At least 40 states wrestle in a first class arena (honestly don't know about HI, RI, NH, etc). But not in TN. We wrestle on a dirt floor used for pig auctions.

I would like to mention the volunteers that work the event are outstanding. Friendly, professional and do a tremendous, first class job. The problem certainly has nothing to do with the workers, but the facility itself.

Edited by russianbear

I know this going to be taken the wrong way, and that's not my intention. I don't think it should be moved to a place like Bridgestone. Why? We can't even fill the Ag center. Want to make it move, then people need to get behind the sport NOT THE VENUE, and support the sport. If you fill the Ag Center and there is no room for spectators they would be forced to move. Not to mention they would have PROOF that they could afford an expensive venue with a full gate. I hear to many people say they don't go because it's at the Cow Palace. That tells me they are not behind the sport. Get behind the sport, fill the place beyond max capacity and I bet you would see it move!

• Upvote 1

What had been the attendance the last year or two? Each night... Not cumulative.

If it's 3,000 even Saturday, that would surprise me.

The noise level at the old McClellan Gymnasium and the vast crowd was unforgettable... I believe it was standing room only which seats 4,177 today, similar years ago I believe. Even the McKenzie Round house was something special as large as it is with well over 10,000 seats.

I'm not going to let it die... Find a way to let a true state champ rise for all to see,,, especially the scouts! You can't water down this state, way too early and Never in the case of individuals.

We have a great place for a nice tournament in Clarksville at the Austin Peay State University Dunn Center. Everyone who attended the AAU Top 100 there in December can tell you it's a 1st class facility. We would have to make it work with 8 mats though because that's all we can fit on the main floor. It's a very nice venue that would offer a sweet deal. The APSU Athletic Director is wrestling friendly and wants to bring events in. So if we can make it work with 8 mats then we have the perfect spot.

Edited by deadlift

Have been told indirectly that the City of Clarksville & Austin Peay State University together want to host the state wrestling tournament. AAA should be cut to a 16 man bracket as the number of teams have been reduced due to D2 & A/AA being added. PA operates the AA & AAA tournament and different times but in the same venue. They have the AA finals, clear the arena and then have the AAA finals later in the day. The problem with people in Tennessee is two fold:

1. No one wants to sacrifice anything for the betterment of the sport

2. Like it or not the state wrestling tournament is a business and the TSSAA has no vision about growing the tournament and the fact like any business venture you must take some risk.

Why on earth would you want to cut AAA to a 16 man bracket ? The private schools have a 16 man bracket for 16 schools. There are too many kids from some of the tougher one or two regions in AAA who don't even qualify to go to states now and you want to knock more of them out ? Doesn't make sense to me.  How can you talk about growing the tournament while reducing the number of competitors ?

Why on earth would you want to cut AAA to a 16 man bracket ? The private schools have a 16 man bracket for 16 schools. There are too many kids from some of the tougher one or two regions in AAA who don't even qualify to go to states now and you want to knock more of them out ? Doesn't make sense to me.  How can you talk about growing the tournament while reducing the number of competitors ?

Please do your research before you insert your foot into your own mouth! The private schools wrestle with a bracket of eight (8) wrestlers. Put the private schools into the AAA bracket and leave it a 32 man bracket, otherwise cut it to 16 where it belongs.
  • Upvote 2

Pa has only 2 divisions and both tournaments are 16 man brackets, and they have 6x the number of programs in their state. Their district 3rd placers, who don't qualify for even the next qualifier, could beat most of our state champs. Point being, if you are saying good kids are left home then your assessment of good is quiet liberal; I don't care what region you are in, in Tennessee, if you don't place in the region then you are not very good. 16 is all we had in the 80's when there was only one division, and only 4 places.

How does having a 32 man AAA bracket add to growing the sport? Why not just let everyone who's varsity qualify? Wasn't there a couple of weight classes that weren't even full last year (106 from region 4 rings a bell). A 16 man bracket is plenty big enough. Especially when there's now talk of an extra AA region making full 16 man brackets for AA. That's a total of 40 kids per weight class to represent the state. Do we really need 56?

If you want to grow the sport then have the kids look forward to competing in a venue at least meant to hold a sporting event. That would be a good start.

The bad news is the ones in charge of decision making are adamant about having a 32 man AAA bracket. Perhaps it has something to do with money?

Edited by Newestguy

Please do your research before you insert your foot into your own mouth! The private schools wrestle with a bracket of eight (8) wrestlers. Put the private schools into the AAA bracket and leave it a 32 man bracket, otherwise cut it to 16 where it belongs.

OK- up to 2 years ago the privates had a 16 man bracket, ( I took a sabbatical for a couple years from HS wrestling and it changed ) essentially everyone went. Didn't bother me any, I didn't see where it hurt anything to have more participants. Now only half go. Still a high percentage.

The cream usually rises to the top , hard to make the case where anyone's interests are harmed by staying with 32 in AAA.

The purists howled bloody murder when the NCAA expanded the B-ball tourney to 64+, we heard all the nonsense and rhetoric about diluting the talent and watering down the tournament  but what happened ?

Interest went exponential , that's what happened. I don't see anything wrong with having more schools represented and friends and family paying to watch them in wrestling too.