Region 2-AA Tournament thoughts?

AlcoaBasketball

Not sure that was the message being sent by cak. Maybe not the the right decision probably should've let them hold it the whole qtr. Top 3 players for cak had foul trouble and it shorten the game and was 19-12. Probably shouldn't have cause it didn't work out.

Cak played CPA, Hamilton Heights, oak ridge, Webb twice , catholic 3 times and beat an Alcoa team 3 times that took carter to ot. Also beat Webb twice who beat carter by 30.

It was a game not played or coached well by cak but to act like carter is that much better or dominate not sure I agree with. Would be easy to say Fulton is 50 points better than carter. It is what it is and last night carter was clearly dominate. When they are clicking they are very good.

It was 19-11 when Carter pulled it out to start the 2nd qtr...Cak struggled to beat Alcoa by 5 earlier in the district tournament....Cak struggled to beat Austin-east by 10....carter beat them 17 and 24....so all your statistical comparisons mean one thing....teenagers making decisions when it counts!! Cak is a very well-coached fundamental team...Carter showed they can play defense and have more up their sleeve than people thought.....let's take nothing away from either team....they both played hard and that's that.... Edited by uptempo

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree about the physical play, too much Kentel and too many missed free throws. Losing Jancek hurt the depth in the post for Catholic and scoring, he was averaging 13 ppg

I might have to agree with Chill about the physicality. Sure the missed FTs were important but we got killed on the offensive boards . We had way to many series were Fulton had 2 or 3 offensive rebounds before finishing with baskets. We also struggled to finish on layups and post moves. We had 1 basket out of our 3 posts players and only 8 total defensive rebounds. Zac was averaging a double double since the start of district play and played very good post defense. We did a good job drawing fouls early and had several Falcons in trouble. We had too many TOs by people that really didn't need to be handling the ball given Fulton's pressure.

Hats off to Jody Wright's team and Kentel Williams.

Thanks Chill!! It didn't take me long.I just wanted to make sure my legend still lived on Coacht. And it makes me feel good that you remember my boys too!!! I'll see you again in a few prob not 10. I have a grandson that is starting to get it honest too.

Thanks for letting me know my legend is not just in my mind CHILL!!!!!

Heard Carter was able to come away with a win against Fulton tonight. Final margin was about 10? Also Fultons ptg went out with an injury early. But you want hear the Falcon fans making excuses about being shorthanded "uptempo". You want hear them say they gave the game away "uptempo". Because of the class of their program they will shake your hand say congratulations and move on. But here are the facts.

First game. Fulton walked the dog on Carter by the tune of 55 pts.

Second game. Fulton won at Carter.

Game three Carter won.

The end period!!

Heard Carter was able to come away with a win against Fulton tonight. Final margin was about 10? Also Fultons ptg went out with an injury early. But you want hear the Falcon fans making excuses about being shorthanded "uptempo". You want hear them say they gave the game away "uptempo". Because of the class of their program they will shake your hand say congratulations and move on. But here are the facts.

First game. Fulton walked the dog on Carter by the tune of 55 pts.

Second game. Fulton won at Carter.

Game three Carter won.

The end period!!

Possible 4th meeting in the future...

I might have to agree with Chill about the physicality. Sure the missed FTs were important but we got killed on the offensive boards . We had way to many series were Fulton had 2 or 3 offensive rebounds before finishing with baskets. We also struggled to finish on layups and post moves. We had 1 basket out of our 3 posts players and only 8 total defensive rebounds. Zac was averaging a double double since the start of district play and played very good post defense. We did a good job drawing fouls early and had several Falcons in trouble. We had too many TOs by people that really didn't need to be handling the ball given Fulton's pressure.

Hats off to Jody Wright's team and Kentel Williams.

The lack of boxing out hurt the Irish. When I hear physical it applies (to me) that they pushed Catholic around and that didn't happen. Fulton had better athletes (all around) that were able to hit the glass but their post players either fouled out or were in foul trouble most of the game. Kentel Williams had 7 rebounds which led their team so if a PG leads the team in rebounds that means everyone was missing out on box outs. I do agree not having Zac hurt Cathoic big time (we missed his points and rebounds) but our post were not the only players missing open layups not boxing out or turning the ball over. Give Kentel credit he took over the game in the fourth so our inability to prevent him from getting to the basket hurt big time. Edited by QSouth89

The lack of boxing out hurt the Irish. When I hear physical it applies (to me) that they pushed Catholic around and that didn't happen. Fulton had better athletes that controlled the glass but their post players fouled out or were in foul trouble most of the game. Before you blame our post. Kentel Williams had 7 rebounds which led their team so if a PG leads the team in rebounds that means everyone was missing out on box outs. I do agree not having Zac hurt Cathoic big time (we missed his points and rebounds) but our post were not the only players missing open layups not boxing out or turning the ball over. Give Kentel credit he took over the game in the fourth so our inability to prevent him from getting to the basket hurt big time. But in your mind I'm sure that's the post players fault.

I agree completely on the lack of boxing out hurting us and that is where the physicality comes in to play. I'm not throwing the posts under the bus because you've got to box out all 5 against a team like Fulton. If Kentel led them in rebounding, that proves my point! I think we missed layups trying to avoid contact which is one area where I see the physicality coming in to play. You've still got that football mindset about physicality just meaning pushing people around. LOL I didn't say it was just the posts missing layups, not boxing out or turning the ball over. The posts actually did a good job relieving pressure against the press. Bottom line remains that lack of boards and missed FTs (and layups)cost the Irish a win even with Zac going out early to an injury.

That's the first time I've seen Kentel play and I was very impressed. He's a tough matchup for most high school guards! He's a prime example of what I was addressing with physicality. I hope he able to get over his injury quickly as they advance in the tourney.

Edited by IrishBBall