who will be William blount next head coach?

Maryville always has some D1 guys sprinkled in. They had 3 this year if not 4. They have way better talent than given credit for.

Well I disagree... I'm pretty sure they've had some teams that didn't have big time prospects that still made it to the title game.. But regardless of that my point stands... You can win in high school without D1 talent. Also, you are forgetting the impact good coaches have on player development. WB has had lots of good high school players over the years that never really grew as players while they were playing for WB. I've seen so many freshmen and sophomores that showed lots of potential and i'd think "man, they are going to be special when they are juniors and seniors" but when they graduated they were still playing at the level they were playing at when they were freshmen and sophomores.... Good coaches will develop those good players and make them great. Also, the secret to being a great athlete is hard work. Kase Whitehead is a good example of this..... I used to see that guy at the Rush every time I went in there to workout, the dude was a gym rat.... And that was why he was booming 60,70, and 80 yard punts instead of 30 or 40 yard punts. Good coaches can get that out of players...

now i dont disagree very often with you rw87, but i think he may change the landscape of Blount Co. football dramatically. There may be some players at Alcoa and both Maryville and Heritage who might not be starters at there respective schools, but could be play makers at WB. Good things happen with good leaders.....and it may be sooner than you think....only time will tell

I see your point about maryville and alcoa, but heritage? You think Heritage has back-ups that can help us win when they haven't beaten us with their starters in 18 years?

Well I disagree... I'm pretty sure they've had some teams that didn't have big time prospects that still made it to the title game.. But regardless of that my point stands... You can win in high school without D1 talent. Also, you are forgetting the impact good coaches have on player development. WB has had lots of good high school players over the years that never really grew as players while they were playing for WB. I've seen so many freshmen and sophomores that showed lots of potential and i'd think "man, they are going to be special when they are juniors and seniors" but when they graduated they were still playing at the level they were playing at when they were freshmen and sophomores.... Good coaches will develop those good players and make them great. Also, the secret to being a great athlete is hard work. Kase Whitehead is a good example of this..... I used to see that guy at the Rush every time I went in there to workout, the dude was a gym rat.... And that was why he was booming 60,70, and 80 yard punts instead of 30 or 40 yard punts. Good coaches can get that out of players...

You disagree that Maryville doesn't have better talent than given credit for through the years? Douglas, Thompson, Burnette, Robinette, Stewart, Maples, Guillermo, Jackson, Vaught, Burgess? The names speak for themselves. Shad could've coached me every single minute every single day of the year, but if you don't have great talent you aren't going to be a great player. Yes, a good coach can maximize the talent he has, but when you have a guy that just doesn't have a lot of talent just because he is a good coach doesn't mean the kid with mediocre athletic talent will all the sudden have great athletic talent.

You disagree that Maryville doesn't have better talent than given credit for through the years? Douglas, Thompson, Burnette, Robinette, Stewart, Maples, Guillermo, Jackson, Vaught, Burgess? The names speak for themselves. Shad could've coached me every single minute every single day of the year, but if you don't have great talent you aren't going to be a great player. Yes, a good coach can maximize the talent he has, but when you have a guy that just doesn't have a lot of talent just because he is a good coach doesn't mean the kid with mediocre athletic talent will all the sudden have great athletic talent.

Never said that.... Just said they've had teams thinner on talent but they still had the same level of success anyways. I get what you are saying... My point is WB has good players, but they haven't really been developed. You'll see seniors making the same mistakes they made as freshmen and sophomores... You don't see that with good coaches, you see improvement... And you definitely won't see team leaders goofing off before big games when they should be in the locker room focusing on the task at hand when you have good coaches. WB has size and speed and all the ingredients but the discipline has been missing. Edited by Governors91

Never said that.... Just said they've had teams thinner on talent but they still had the same level of success anyways. I get what you are saying... My point is WB has good players, but they haven't really been developed. You'll see seniors making the same mistakes they made as freshmen and sophomores... You don't see that with good coaches, you see improvement... And you definitely won't see team leaders goofing off before big games when they should be in the locker room focusing on the task at hand when you have good coaches. WB has size and speed and all the ingredients but the discipline has been missing.

Ok. I can agree with that. Barring Fair from last years team though and the Graham kid I just didn't see the talent you're speaking of from what I watched. Even with a bad coach great talent is going to stand out and I just didn't see it, but maybe their are some deeply ingrained hidden gems I didn't see lol

Edited by SweetScience

Ok. I can agree with that. Barring Fair from last years team though and the Graham kid I just didn't see the talent you're speaking of from what I watched. Even with a bad coach great talent is going to stand out and I just didn't see it, but maybe their are some deeply ingrained hidden gems I didn't see lol

We had other receivers that were consistently wide open but they never got the ball. Good players aren't going to stand out if they aren't given the opportunity to make plays. And there's also been times in the past when the best players at certain positions weren't even on the field or if they were they weren't playing in a capacity where they could really help the team. Edited by Governors91

We had other receivers that were consistently wide open but they never got the ball. Good players aren't going to stand out if they aren't given the opportunity to make plays. And there's also been times in the past when the best players at certain positions weren't even on the field or if they were they weren't playing in a capacity where they could really help the team.

Gotcha. I guess time will tell. Congrats on finally getting a great coach. Hopefully Shad can fill the huge shoes Gregory and Ridge left. It's going to be tough for him to fill those legendary shoes. In all seriousness though, congrats.