Cookeville Spring Practice Date

Pioneersports

I have alreadhy said 5-5. Win the ones they should and lose the ones they should. I just want them to be competive and play with heart, desire, and passion. Playoffs will depend on health, and draw.

see, we are closer to the same prediction than we are apart. I just think CHS has more talent than you think, and the Boro will be a little weaker this season with the coaching changes. As far as Vic and Angel....I think Vic is a little underated as a player, Angel a little over rated...but both still great HS ball players. I will stick with my 7-3 prediction.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go to sleep now, so I can go to work tonight.  I will tell you this.  You need to look at who the Boro is returning player wise.  Minus Maryville, it is always about the boro.  They have just always beat up on each other, and Maryville has only had to play the best one.  They haven't had to run the gauntlet.  It is much like the SEC.  You put together the talent and the coaching and it has been a good run for the boro.  I for one hope it slow down and CHS makes some noise.  However history tells me that since bowl games went away, and playoffs and state champs have been counted, you must go through the boro to win one.  The only time Cookeville has been mentioned with state championship is when TTU stepped up.  I hope that changes and my alma mater can make some noise.  We will see.  

I have to go to sleep now, so I can go to work tonight. I will tell you this. You need to look at who the Boro is returning player wise. Minus Maryville, it is always about the boro. They have just always beat up on each other, and Maryville has only had to play the best one. They haven't had to run the gauntlet. It is much like the SEC. You put together the talent and the coaching and it has been a good run for the boro. I for one hope it slow down and CHS makes some noise. However history tells me that since bowl games went away, and playoffs and state champs have been counted, you must go through the boro to win one. The only time Cookeville has been mentioned with state championship is when TTU stepped up. I hope that changes and my alma mater can make some noise. We will see.

its been a while since a boro team has won a championship. With so many new schools opening, the talent pool has been watered down a bit since the days Oakland and Riverdale were dominating. Plus, boro schools are with 30-45 min of about 20 private schools that pic them apart on some of the top talented kids. Something Cookeville doesn't have to deal with. I think Cookeville should make some noise this year. Now, next year could get ugly.

As much as I hate to... I do agree with your prediction for the Cavs this fall. 6-4 would be a little disappointing, 7-3 ok and 8-2 would be a good year in this new district. 

We have 5 that we will be favored in and can't afford to lose. Hopefully can win 2 or 3 more.

And Reilavac, you were mentioning wanting to see Vic do something other than run the ball?...

Rumor has it they've got him with the 1st team at Outside Linebacker right now. Can't wait to see it this spring. He can lay the wood.

As much as I hate to... I do agree with your prediction for the Cavs this fall. 6-4 would be a little disappointing, 7-3 ok and 8-2 would be a good year in this new district.

We have 5 that we will be favored in and can't afford to lose. Hopefully can win 2 or 3 more.

And Reilavac, you were mentioning wanting to see Vic do something other than run the ball?...

Rumor has it they've got him with the 1st team at Outside Linebacker right now. Can't wait to see it this spring. He can lay the wood.

7-3 and into second round of playoffs will be good for the new district they are in. And my bad, 4th largest school in the state http://m.columbiadailyherald.com/sports/preps/enrollment-figures-be-used-tssaa-football-reclassification Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

see, we are closer to the same prediction than we are apart. I just think CHS has more talent than you think, and the Boro will be a little weaker this season with the coaching changes. As far as Vic and Angel....I think Vic is a little underated as a player, Angel a little over rated...but both still great HS ball players. I will stick with my 7-3 prediction.

Looks like CHS has some talent for sure, but I would not get too excited about new coach changes in the  Boro. I know Blackman has Coach Watson at the helm and the players are very amped to have him as the head coach. He is very familiar with the talent he has and who he has in the pipe He has also made two great aquisitions from cross town rival Oakland picking up some very talented coaches from there as well.. We are looking forward to the new faces and new challenges. 

Edited by Blaze45

Looks like CHS has some talent for sure, but I would not get too excited about new coach changes in the Boro. I know Blackman has Coach Watson at the helm and the players are very amped to have him as the head coach. He is very familiar with the talent he has and who he has in the pipe He has also made two great aquisitions from cross town rival Oakland picking up some very talented coaches from there as well.. We are looking forward to the new faces and new challenges.

. Agree that Oakland and Blackman won't be down much, but with Head Coaching changes the quality of the guys lost, the transition will be felt some.

. Agree that Oakland and Blackman won't be down much, but with Head Coaching changes the quality of the guys lost, the transition will be felt some.

Yes we will surely feel it, (but I am a huge Shadowens fan so that statement is a given). Both Blackman and Oakland's bigger challenge over a coaching change will be due to the loss of some of their talent. However they both have a ton of young talent. Give them a years experience and will be loaded for bear in 2016 and 2017. It will be a very interesting year in the Boro.

Edited by Blaze45

Yes we will surely feel it, (but I am a huge Shadowens fan so that statement is a given). Both Blackman and Oakland's bigger challenge over a coaching change will be due to the loss of some of their talent. However they both have a ton of young talent. Give them a years experience and will be loaded for bear in 2016 and 2017. It will be a very interesting year in the Boro.

this is the year for CHS....before the top two athletes in a long time grad. I agre next year Blackman, Oakland, and siegel will all be loaded. This year I think Riverdale takes it

I have watched Riverdale for a while now and they have a lot of younger talent,with some experience, and I do think they are going to have their strongest showing yet, but they also lost 19 seniors. I think we may see them still struggle at qb position, unless the transfer is a real hoss. They will have a good run game but that makes them a little one dimensional. It will make for some good match ups  this year though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Cavs scrimmaged Franklin County on Thursday 5/21.

Both teams played their 1's for about 5 series each way. The first hour of the scrimmage. With the 1's it was 2-0 Cavs. Scored on a 70 yard pass play, Collins to Zack Poston 1st series and on a 55 yard run by Blake Ashburn on the 4th series. Had at least 4 big plays called back by penalties. Had some trouble sustaining the running game but our two best offensive linemen, both 300 pounders, were on the sidelines operating the chain. Didn't practice all spring due to injury. Vic Johnson was in street clothes on the sideline as well. I figured they'd let him touch the ball a few times but guess they decided it just wasn't worth the risk. We get those 3 guys back and the running game improves dramatically to say the least.

They let Matt Collins start and he threw the 70 yard TD first series. New QB Christian Wilkinson came in 2nd series and looked great as well. Kid has a gun. Made several big time throws, including a 40 yard laser to Gabe Angel on the sidelines that was called back. Looks great in the pocket. Better arm than Collins with Collins being the better runner. Guess they'll let them battle it out through summer & fall camp. Defense looked real good. FC's only score came on about a 45 yard run by big #27 with about 5 minutes left in the scrimmage against the Cavs 4-5 guys.

This was the Cavs only scrimmage this spring, and the first time running the new offense/play calling under live conditions. Have gone from using hand signals to the play cards a la Oregon.

Cavs got all 110 guys on the field. Got some good work in. Have a lot more work to do.

Edited by THE SQUAD