Football coaching salaries

I have no sympathy for these coaches like the rest of you do. Coaches know exactly what they are getting into when it comes to salary and hours they would have to work. They knew this form playing football in high school and knew it when they went to college for their degree. Lets tell the truth, most of these "teachers" are there so they can coach. Just like police and firefighters, they knew exactly how much they would make when they enter the academy yet they made the choice. Teachers/coaches knew it too.

Schools are there to educate, not to play sports (exception to Alcoa). Sports are extra curriculm activity that is just that, EXTRA. All school funds should be spent on students, not athletes.

Does Alcoa show all the graduates or valedictorians on their giant scoreboard or is reserved for the guys who can run for touchdown or can make a tackle?

Disagree!!! Look at the graduation rates of student athletes compared to the general student population. Also look at the GPA comparison. Coaches coach, but they also make sure kids behave in school, make sure they make the grades, and give countless hours of life lessions to these kids. I don't think an over abundant amount of the school budget should go to athletics, but it should be in the budget at some precentage. The good is does to a childs life is worth well worth the investment. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

I have a question: Would the coaching and play on the field at the Tennessee D1 5A & 6A schools be significantly better if they all paid the head football coach $100,000.00+ and did not require them to coach?

ask yourself this, Would Alabama's play on Saturdays be better or worse if the entire coaching staff, including Saban, was required to teach 7-8 hours a day, 5 days a week, then hurry out to the teams practice?

Why would the play on the field and the coaching be significantly better just by paying the head coach more money? IMO, if you have a coach that has averaged being 5 & 5 the past 10 years he is not going to get better just by paying him an extra 50 or 60 thousand dollars. He will still be 5 & 5 but will just be making more money.

If the return on investment is not there to pay the head coach $100,000 per season then why are other states moving in that direction? Is Tennessee that much smarter that the other states? What data are you basing your decision on or is that just a gut feeling?

If you pay coaches that much, you can kiss half of the existing coaches good bye.  If you pay this much, then you will hire a better quality coach. The 5-5 coach can be replaced by a lower tier college assistant or anybody else with a better resume.

I wouldn't call them smarter, I would call them irresponsible.  AL is ranked in the bottom 10 states every year for education but they want to spend this amount of money of a game?

If your investment is $125k a year, what's your return?  More wins?  A state championship?  Is it really worth that?  NO!   

Look at the graduation rates of student athletes compared to the general student population. Also look at the GPA comparison.

Don't act like the football players are pulling GPA's up for all athletes.  On average football players have the lowest team GPA in high school athletics.  You can thank most of the girls teams for bringing GPA's up above the average

Why would the play on the field and the coaching be significantly better just by paying the head coach more money? IMO, if you have a coach that has averaged being 5 & 5 the past 10 years he is not going to get better just by paying him an extra 50 or 60 thousand dollars. He will still be 5 & 5 but will just be making more money.

If the return on investment is not there to pay the head coach $100,000 per season then why are other states moving in that direction? Is Tennessee that much smarter that the other states? What data are you basing your decision on or is that just a gut feeling?

In TN you have to teach to afford to coach cause the salary for the most part is 3k-7K a year to coach. Higher pay allows coaches to just be coaches. So putting in 5-6 hours a day pre practice to scheme, develope better more efficent practices, break down game films, help with more exposer to the media and recruiters of the athletes....yea I think it would help a 5-5 coach put a better product on the field.

ask yourself this, Would Alabama's play on Saturdays be better or worse if the entire coaching staff, including Saban, was required to teach 7-8 hours a day, 5 days a week, then hurry out to the teams practice?

I don't give a rip about what college coaches do.  They have boosters to help with pay.  I assume only Rankin receives money on the side in TN

Don't act like the football players are pulling GPA's up for all athletes. On average football players have the lowest team GPA in high school athletics. You can thank most of the girls teams for bringing GPA's up above the average

take those 100-200 boys on a 6a team say like Blackman...and have no football program and see what the GPA of those kids falls to.

I don't give a rip about what college coaches do. They have boosters to help with pay. I assume only Rankin receives money on the side in TN

football is football, the more time you spend, the better the product. And I would say Rankin does get extra from boosters, but lots of coaches do. Most buisnessman and blue collar workers also get quarterly or monthly bonuses based on production or preformance.

take those 100-200 boys on a 6a team say like Blackman...and have no football program and see what the GPA of those kids falls to.

Quit your "do it for the kids" routine.  You are hiding behind academics to pay for a football coach.  If you really care about the kids, take that $125K a year and pay the students $1000 a piece for the top 125 GPA's for the year.  I'll bet you $125k that grades go up for the entire school and not just football players.

football is football, the more time you spend, the better the product. And I would say Rankin does get extra from boosters, but lots of coaches do. Most buisnessman and blue collar workers also get quarterly or monthly bonuses based on production or preformance.

No, football is not football when one brings in millions of dollars to a league and their school and the other is lucky to get 1500 fans in the stands.  Don't act like Alabama football and Cleveland high school football is the same thing.

Secondly, those bonuses are written into the contract.  It's illegal for high school coaches.  But it does make since now, Alocoas qb's dad must being paying Rankin for Rankin to keep the qb in the championship game. 

Edited by RonMexico3

No, football is not football when one brings in millions of dollars to a league and their school and the other is lucky to get 1500 fans in the stands. Don't act like Alabama football and Cleveland high school football is the same thing.

Secondly, those bonuses are written into the contract. It's illegal for high school coaches. But it does make since now, Alocoas qb's dad must being paying Rankin for Rankin to keep the qb in the championship game.

LOL!! Did Rankin steal your girl or something?

I wouldn't blame her for leaving you since you named yourself after an alias used by Michael Vick, who has herpes. :roflol:

Edited by AlcoaBasketball

No, football is not football when one brings in millions of dollars to a league and their school and the other is lucky to get 1500 fans in the stands. Don't act like Alabama football and Cleveland high school football is the same thing.

Secondly, those bonuses are written into the contract. It's illegal for high school coaches. But it does make since now, Alocoas qb's dad must being paying Rankin for Rankin to keep the qb in the championship game.

its not illegal for coaches to be paid money not in his school contract. And, very close friend ,a co worker, was involved in a 1-9 teams booster club. Gates and consessions profit was about 1500 a game when the bleachers were mty. 2 years after they hired the right coach, they win 13 straight, with 5 home games and 3 playoff games. Averaged about 8500 gates and concessions per game for a total of around 68,000k. Budget for the 60 player team on equipment and buses was only 40k. That's 28k left over for the general athletic and acedemic fund at the school. Yea Alabama makes Millions not not thousonds, but they also spend millions. The profit percentages are not all that diffrent. Good football programs are good for the whole schools budget, both in HS and college. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan