Warren Co. 2015

My point is confirmed.

Sorry you missed it.

I didn't miss anything Dr. Phil. You may be embarrassed for me, or think I should be embarrassed, but I'm not. 

He may have to change as much off the field as on the field. Agreed, turning a program around that has been down for an extended time deserves being acknowledged as the acomplishment it is. I hope he stays to see the mission complete.

Changing the culture is the hardest part IMO. I played on those terrible teams that Coach Trapp coached in his early years. From year one on until he finally had his first winning season and made the play offs, you could see the improvement year to year. You didn't see it much as far as wins and losses goes, but players were being held accountable, and we slowly became a little more competitive. His first season we couldn't even line up straight and got blown out every game. His second year we won one game but was competitive and had the chance at winning a handful of them. His third year we won two games, and had the chance to win several games, and only lost badly twice. His fourth year things finally turned around.

My point is if Warren County gives the right coach enough time, I don't see why they can't have similar success as to what DeKalb County has had. DeKalb County was just as bad for just as long as Warren County has been. The only difference between the two is Dekalb didn't change coaches every 1-3 years. Warren County may never be serious title contenders, or even region championship contenders, but they can have more winning seasons than not. At this point in time, I'm sure the community would be just fine with that scenario.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't miss anything Dr. Phil. You may be embarrassed for me, or think I should be embarrassed, but I'm not. 

Changing the culture is the hardest part IMO. I played on those terrible teams that Coach Trapp coached in his early years. From year one on until he finally had his first winning season and made the play offs, you could see the improvement year to year. You didn't see it much as far as wins and losses goes, but players were being held accountable, and we slowly became a little more competitive. His first season we couldn't even line up straight and got blown out every game. His second year we won one game but was competitive and had the chance at winning a handful of them. His third year we won two games, and had the chance to win several games, and only lost badly twice. His fourth year things finally turned around.

My point is if Warren County gives the right coach enough time, I don't see why they can't have similar success as to what DeKalb County has had. DeKalb County was just as bad for just as long as Warren County has been. The only difference between the two is Dekalb didn't change coaches every 1-3 years. Warren County may never be serious title contenders, or even region championship contenders, but they can have more winning seasons than not. At this point in time, I'm sure the community would be just fine with that scenario.

Thanks for a very good post.

We are in agreement about the fundamentals of turning an organization around. It takes leadership, commitment, an effective plan, and some time.

Glad to hear your story. It gets to the point that these young men should have that same opportunity to learn from sports. I hope the program is on the right track as they appear to be.

Thanks for a very good post.

We are in agreement about the fundamentals of turning an organization around. It takes leadership, commitment, an effective plan, and some time.

Glad to hear your story. It gets to the point that these young men should have that same opportunity to learn from sports. I hope the program is on the right track as they appear to be.

You're welcome. IMO it's also equally as hard, if not harder to keep the players bought in after suffering 2-3 bad years in a row. You hear coaches telling the players if we keep doing this or that, things will eventually change. The problem is those players have heard all that same stuff from previous coaching staffs, and all their hard work never translated over for numerous reasons. It's just hard to keep the players faith and morale up after stringing together a few bad seasons while going win less, or only winning 1-2 games.

When it comes to the players, not producing results as fast as they would like can become very concerning and even heartbreaking for them. They begin to question themselves, each other, and even their very own coaches at times. Doubt sets in and they wonder if the coaches even truly know what they're doing or not. When that happens, things can go right back downhill extremely fast, and everything they worked so hard to accomplish just goes right out of the dang window. You also can't change a culture over night. 

I also think the players probably feel like if they ever do get another quality coach and have a few decent years, that, that coach will jump ship as soon as a better opportunity presents itself. That seems to always happen when WC lands a decent coach, and they lead/coach the team to a little better record than the previous year by winning 4-5 games. Just look at yalls last coach for the perfect example. Coaches see the region WC plays in, and all the limitations WC has as a program. They know this is one of, if not the hardest jobs in the state.

I'm afraid WC may just be a stepping stone type of job for any coach that wasn't born and raised in WC. One who played football for the Pioneers, one who bleeds white, blue, and red. The problem is, the local guys that would kill for the job have never been qualified for it. Their coaching tenure usually ends in disaster. They always seem to be the coaches who leave the program in worst shape than they found it. A regular ole Derek "Doofus" Dooley-esque type of coach, just at the high school level. A coach who is unqualified for the job, and is in way over his head. A coach who didn't have any business landing the job to begin with. I won't say any names, but I thought yall was going to go down that same disastrous route once again. As if yall didn't learn yalls lesson after the first couple of times. Yall would of been walking in high cotton for sure. A complete total failure from the get go.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

How'd that one turn out?

Shelbyville won 24-14, should have been 24-21, WC returned a kickoff but as soon as he crossed the 50 refs blew it dead but no one was going to catch him. Pioneers looked a little sluggish in my opinion, the defense more than the offense. I do like the play calling more than in previous years just need a little better execution. The QB is going to be a good one though, would like to see him take off and use his legs a little more. The running back #21 is a load, and #15 and #24 ran hard. O line is still a work in progress. D line and LB are decent but DB's need help.