Cookeville 2015

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the transfer QB get the start Friday night?

Man they're playing that so close to the vest that even the players I've talked to don't know who will start (or at least they're not saying).

I'll say it will be Wilkinson, because he had a better day in the Jamboree against Gallatin AND because Collins will probably be starting at linebacker. I just can't see your starting quarterback also starting at linebacker.

But I could be totally wrong...

I'll say both of 'em will get plenty of time at QB the first few games regardless of who starts.

Man they're playing that so close to the vest that even the players I've talked to don't know who will start (or at least they're not saying).

I'll say it will be Wilkinson, because he had a better day in the Jamboree against Gallatin AND because Collins will probably be starting at linebacker. I just can't see your starting quarterback also starting at linebacker.

But I could be totally wrong...

I'll say both of 'em will get plenty of time at QB the first few games regardless of who starts.

I agree the Wilkinson kid looked a little better on his passes and like you said no need to have a guy go both ways if you do not have too.

I agree the Wilkinson kid looked a little better on his passes and like you said no need to have a guy go both ways if you do not have too.

typically Maynord is a one QB man.....unless the starter struggles, I don't see him swapping them up series to series. The first three qb's on CHS depth chart should gets snaps these first two weeks if the is any hope for the Cavs to hang with the boro teams. I think they when big.

Written by Reed Emerson

Tweet

Cookeville Cavaliers

District: 2-6A

Head Coach: Jimmy Maynord

Last year’s record: 8-3 (2nd in district)

This fall can’t seem to come fast enough for Head Coach Jimmy Maynord and his Cavalier football team. Maynord is entering his third year as the head man at Cookeville High School, and is eager to see what his team is made of as they head into what could be a challenging 2015. Though last season did not end the way that he would have liked, he has many reasons to be optimistic about the season that is to come. “I thought it was a good year to only be the second year in the system. We went 8-3 and lost to LaVergne in the playoffs, but overall I thought we had a good year, progressed, and showed lots of improvements from year one,†Coach Maynord says.  Not only does Maynord return an Ole Miss commit at tight end in Gabe Angel, but he also returns some big pieces on the offensive line. Angel, who committed to Ole Miss last November, has offers on the table from many of the nation's biggest college football programs. Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Kentucky, Purdue, and Vanderbilt are all knocking on his door. “Gabe isn’t only great in our pass game, he is an all around great football player,†Maynord says. Luckily for Cookeville, Angel isn’t their only offensive weapon. The Cavaliers also return an All-State Running Back in Vic Johnson. Last year, Johnson carried the load for the Cavaliers, and racked up about 1,400 yards with 23 trips to the end zone. Coach Maynord has hope that the experienced offensive line, along with an explosive running back in Johnson, will be a strong combination for the Cavaliers this fall.

On the defensive side of the ball, Cookeville runs a 3-4 allignment, and returns five starters. They are bringing back the key parts of the defense, and Coach Maynord feels as if they shouldn’t skip a beat. Not only do the Cavaliers return both starting cornerbacks from a year ago in Zach Poston and Blake Ashburn, but they will also have James Massengille and Tim Bungart who are both returning for their senior season. Massengille, an anchor on the defense in 2014, will be moved to middle linebacker this year to fill a hole. Bungart on the other hand, saw time at inside linebacker last year, but will be moved to outside linebacker when this season rolls around. “This coming fall we want to be more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball. We want to give a lot of different looks, and move things around. Another thing that we will have to do is adjust to the tempo of the teams we will be playing,†Maynord says. Coach Maynord feels good about things on the defensive side of the ball, and with all of these pieces coming back, why wouldn't he?

This offseason, TSSAA did some region realignment, and Cookeville is a team that will definitely see the effects of those changes in 2015. Last season, Cookeville nearly dominated in their region facing opponents such as Franklin County, Rhea County, and Warren County. With the new classifications, the Cavaliers are now playing in Region 2-6A, and will be thrown in the mix with many of the mid-state's power houses such as Blackman, Oakland, Riverdale, and Siegel, just to name a few. Coach Maynord believes that because of the leadership his seniors have shown this off-season, his team is up for the challenge. But no doubt about it, he does realize the significance of this change as well. “No disrespect, but last year we breezed through the district. Some games my starters didn’t even play after halftime. With this new alignment, my guys will be forced to play complete games. It will for sure be a challenge for this football team.â€

According to Maynord, his team's mindset is positive, and they are ready for what this season has to bring. “We have had a really good offseason thus far. I would probably have to say that this is the strongest football team that I have ever been associated with. I feel I have a great group of seniors who have worked hard, and know the challenge of this new district, and they are looking forward to it. It is going to be a 4 quarter battle, week in and week out this fall, and my guys will be ready," he says.

This Cookeville team is poised for what could be a challenging, yet exciting season. The Cavaliers will kick off their 2015 campaign on the road against nearby Upperman High School on the night of August 21st.

Written by Reed Emerson

Tweet

Cookeville Cavaliers

This fall can’t seem to come fast enough for Head Coach Jimmy Maynord and his Cavalier football team. Maynord is entering his third year as the head man at Cookeville High School, and is eager to see what his team is made of as they head into what could be a challenging 2015. Though last season did not end the way that he would have liked, he has many reasons to be optimistic about the season that is to come. “I thought it was a good year to only be the second year in the system. We went 8-3 and lost to LaVergne in the playoffs, but overall I thought we had a good year, progressed, and showed lots of improvements from year one,†Coach Maynord says. Not only does Maynord return an Ole Miss commit at tight end in Gabe Angel, but he also returns some big pieces on the offensive line. Angel, who committed to Ole Miss last November, has offers on the table from many of the nation's biggest college football programs. Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Kentucky, Purdue, and Vanderbilt are all knocking on his door. “Gabe isn’t only great in our pass game, he is an all around great football player,†Maynord says. Luckily for Cookeville, Angel isn’t their only offensive weapon. The Cavaliers also return an All-State Running Back in Vic Johnson. Last year, Johnson carried the load for the Cavaliers, and racked up about 1,400 yards with 23 trips to the end zone. Coach Maynord has hope that the experienced offensive line, along with an explosive running back in Johnson, will be a strong combination for the Cavaliers this fall.

On the defensive side of the ball, Cookeville runs a 3-4 allignment, and returns five starters. They are bringing back the key parts of the defense, and Coach Maynord feels as if they shouldn’t skip a beat. Not only do the Cavaliers return both starting cornerbacks from a year ago in Zach Poston and Blake Ashburn, but they will also have James Massengille and Tim Bungart who are both returning for their senior season. Massengille, an anchor on the defense in 2014, will be moved to middle linebacker this year to fill a hole. Bungart on the other hand, saw time at inside linebacker last year, but will be moved to outside linebacker when this season rolls around. “This coming fall we want to be more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball. We want to give a lot of different looks, and move things around. Another thing that we will have to do is adjust to the tempo of the teams we will be playing,†Maynord says. Coach Maynord feels good about things on the defensive side of the ball, and with all of these pieces coming back, why wouldn't he?

This offseason, TSSAA did some region realignment, and Cookeville is a team that will definitely see the effects of those changes in 2015. Last season, Cookeville nearly dominated in their region facing opponents such as Franklin County, Rhea County, and Warren County. With the new classifications, the Cavaliers are now playing in Region 2-6A, and will be thrown in the mix with many of the mid-state's power houses such as Blackman, Oakland, Riverdale, and Siegel, just to name a few. Coach Maynord believes that because of the leadership his seniors have shown this off-season, his team is up for the challenge. But no doubt about it, he does realize the significance of this change as well. “No disrespect, but last year we breezed through the district. Some games my starters didn’t even play after halftime. With this new alignment, my guys will be forced to play complete games. It will for sure be a challenge for this football team.â€

According to Maynord, his team's mindset is positive, and they are ready for what this season has to bring. “We have had a really good offseason thus far. I would probably have to say that this is the strongest football team that I have ever been associated with. I feel I have a great group of seniors who have worked hard, and know the challenge of this new district, and they are looking forward to it. It is going to be a 4 quarter battle, week in and week out this fall, and my guys will be ready," he says.

This Cookeville team is poised for what could be a challenging, yet exciting season. The Cavaliers will kick off their 2015 campaign on the road against nearby Upperman High School on the night of August 21st.

Thanks for the post UCM! Where'd you find that?

Written by Reed Emerson

Tweet

Cookeville Cavaliers

This fall can’t seem to come fast enough for Head Coach Jimmy Maynord and his Cavalier football team. Maynord is entering his third year as the head man at Cookeville High School, and is eager to see what his team is made of as they head into what could be a challenging 2015. Though last season did not end the way that he would have liked, he has many reasons to be optimistic about the season that is to come. “I thought it was a good year to only be the second year in the system. We went 8-3 and lost to LaVergne in the playoffs, but overall I thought we had a good year, progressed, and showed lots of improvements from year one,†Coach Maynord says. Not only does Maynord return an Ole Miss commit at tight end in Gabe Angel, but he also returns some big pieces on the offensive line. Angel, who committed to Ole Miss last November, has offers on the table from many of the nation's biggest college football programs. Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Kentucky, Purdue, and Vanderbilt are all knocking on his door. “Gabe isn’t only great in our pass game, he is an all around great football player,†Maynord says. Luckily for Cookeville, Angel isn’t their only offensive weapon. The Cavaliers also return an All-State Running Back in Vic Johnson. Last year, Johnson carried the load for the Cavaliers, and racked up about 1,400 yards with 23 trips to the end zone. Coach Maynord has hope that the experienced offensive line, along with an explosive running back in Johnson, will be a strong combination for the Cavaliers this fall.

Awesome post good breakdown

If any of you Cookeville chumps wants to discuss the upcoming game Friday night come over to the 3a/4a board. I think this may be your year to shine.

I am affraid UH won't make much noise in this new inner county matchup till next year. Looks like UH has 88 playing and 13 seniors. So 65 returning, a loaded Soph and Jr class, and a thus far undefeated jr high team with a couple studs on it. With Vic, Angel, both qb's , and big senior class this year for CHS....UH could even the score next season. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan