Week 1 -- East Hamilton @ Signal Mountain

MountainTroll

ChatterCaine, I don't think these other fellers is reading my posts. Our numbers were so low this year that we had eight guys going both ways. Now we have lost four of those. That's like losing eight starters. One quit, one suffered a season ending knee injury at the jamboree, and two probably won't be able to go until our first region game week 3, if then. Our linemen are also having to go both ways, and two of them's knees are so bad they can hardly get into a three point stance. We're having to shuffle guys around into positions they have never played and try to figure out some type of offensive and defensive scheme that will work. There's no way to sugarcoat it.

The guys are trying hard to stay positive, and I am confident that my Eagles on the field will give it their all Friday night, but you can't escape reality. We're going to have to play with a lot of grit and determination and catch some breaks to keep this game competitive.

I'm trying to do my part to help. I've turned the weather sensor off on the irrigation system, and I'm running it night and day. Praying for a downpour on Friday night. Heck, we may not even be able to get the field painted.

I really don't care what others say, 2 of the hardest things a team has to go thru is a new QB, and a coaching change. Signal will do both. Bill Price was a very good coach and had his teams always ready to play. Yea he took some lumps over the years but he gave way more then he took. I think this new coach can get 5 to 6 wins this year things will turn around real fast. It's a tuff schedule but Signal will be fine. Make no mistake EH is taking this game to heart there will be no over looking this one. 

• Upvote 1

I really don't care what others say, 2 of the hardest things a team has to go thru is a new QB, and a coaching change. Signal will do both. Bill Price was a very good coach and had his teams always ready to play. Yea he took some lumps over the years but he gave way more then he took. I think this new coach can get 5 to 6 wins this year things will turn around real fast. It's a tuff schedule but Signal will be fine. Make no mistake EH is taking this game to heart there will be no over looking this one.

I agree with all this. The ones that persevered through all that's happening up there are full of heart, drive, and love of the game. I hope the community will rally around them. They need them as much during the bad times as the good times.
  • Upvote 1

I agree with all this. The ones that persevered through all that's happening up there are full of heart, drive, and love of the game. I hope the community will rally around them. They need them as much during the bad times as the good times.

Appreciate the kind words. I have no doubt the students and community will rally around and support these guys. Don't think his dad would mind me telling that Garrett Hensley, who injured his knee at the Jamboree, has a straight forward ACL tear, should get a good repair. He loves baseball and hopefully can be finishing rehab in the spring some time.

I really like Coach Wise. If anything, he came in a little too fired up. But some of that is because we told him the guys were used to being worked hard and that we wanted a hardcore, aggressive coach. Obviously, that's not what everybody wanted.

There are very few football programs in Tennessee that have 40-50 kids wanting a D1-type workout program. In our environment, I think we need to acknowledge that we are no where near building a perennial powerhouse program, and we need to accommodate those kids who just want to have some fun playing Friday night football in front of their classmates. Some of them may only rarely make it on the field. Some of those will get the fire in their belly, and a coach can turn them into real players.

The young guys don't need to be afraid that the program is going to be too time consuming or intense for them, while at the same time understanding that a good coach's job is to challenge a player and help a player develop to his maximum desired potential. Our future lies with the underclassmen, middle school, and elementary kids. Most of them won't wind up playing in high school, but we have to encourage and support all of them. That is particularly true when it is becoming increasingly difficult for a student to play two sports, because of all of the overlap with the select and AAU seasons among the various sports.

As an old fart, I can get away with saying that Coach Wise is a young man, relatively speaking. Developing just the right approach to dealing with parents and politics is part of a coach's maturation process. Coach Wise and his family are very nice, devoutly religious and principled people and are a pleasure to be around. The families up here on the mountain need to see more of that side of the coach, but the parents also need to show more respect for his authority as the head coach and have a better understanding of exactly how difficult the job is.

Adults need to be adults and set good role models for all of the kids we are trying collectively raising on Signal. We all have our faults and have made mistakes along the way. We need to all step back, take a deep breath, acknowledge our imperfections and foster a healthy, fun environment for our kids to grow and embrace the challenges and excitement of their high school years.

Sorry for the rant, but I was on a roll and wanted to say some things in a public forum. It appears that there are a lot of people on Signal who read these CoachT threads, but never post comments. I don't have any kids at the school, never played football, and had three daughters. I have no hidden agendas, ulterior motives, axes to grind, jobs to lose, or reputations to protect.

I just love being around the school, cutting the grass, working on the equipment and facilities, and watching the Signal Mountain Eagles play football on Friday night in the fall.

GO EAGLES ! ! !

Appreciate the kind words. I have no doubt the students and community will rally around and support these guys. Don't think his dad would mind me telling that Garrett Hensley, who injured his knee at the Jamboree, has a straight forward ACL tear, should get a good repair. He loves baseball and hopefully can be finishing rehab in the spring some time.

I really like Coach Wise. If anything, he came in a little too fired up. But some of that is because we told him the guys were used to being worked hard and that we wanted a hardcore, aggressive coach. Obviously, that's not what everybody wanted.

There are very few football programs in Tennessee that have 40-50 kids wanting a D1-type workout program. In our environment, I think we need to acknowledge that we are no where near building a perennial powerhouse program, and we need to accommodate those kids who just want to have some fun playing Friday night football in front of their classmates. Some of them may only rarely make it on the field. Some of those will get the fire in their belly, and a coach can turn them into real players.

The young guys don't need to be afraid that the program is going to be too time consuming or intense for them, while at the same time understanding that a good coach's job is to challenge a player and help a player develop to his maximum desired potential. Our future lies with the underclassmen, middle school, and elementary kids. Most of them won't wind up playing in high school, but we have to encourage and support all of them. That is particularly true when it is becoming increasingly difficult for a student to play two sports, because of all of the overlap with the select and AAU seasons among the various sports.

As an old fart, I can get away with saying that Coach Wise is a young man, relatively speaking. Developing just the right approach to dealing with parents and politics is part of a coach's maturation process. Coach Wise and his family are very nice, devoutly religious and principled people and are a pleasure to be around. The families up here on the mountain need to see more of that side of the coach, but the parents also need to show more respect for his authority as the head coach and have a better understanding of exactly how difficult the job is.

Adults need to be adults and set good role models for all of the kids we are trying collectively raising on Signal. We all have our faults and have made mistakes along the way. We need to all step back, take a deep breath, acknowledge our imperfections and foster a healthy, fun environment for our kids to grow and embrace the challenges and excitement of their high school years.

Sorry for the rant, but I was on a roll and wanted to say some things in a public forum. It appears that there are a lot of people on Signal who read these CoachT threads, but never post comments. I don't have any kids at the school, never played football, and had three daughters. I have no hidden agendas, ulterior motives, axes to grind, jobs to lose, or reputations to protect.

I just love being around the school, cutting the grass, working on the equipment and facilities, and watching the Signal Mountain Eagles play football on Friday night in the fall.

GO EAGLES ! ! !

what kind of messis this Troll...are you OK?....suk news about the RB...how can North Red Bank Mountain survive with you in this mode

Booger just sayin :wub:

Edited by Booger