who is the best player in state history

dumptruck

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Maryville grad, but I think Albert Davis from Alcoa would have to be considered. Davis who failed to get into U.T. was a man among boys in his days at AHS. Doug Dickey signed Lester McClain, U.T.'s first black player and the first in the SEC, to room with Davis. I have been told that Davis would have been the first "Herschel Walker" type player in the SEC. Just think of what might have been. A backfield with Curt Watson at FB and Albert Davis at TB. Davis went on to star at Tennessee State and later in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles. Go Rebs.

Anybody heard of a guy named Reggie White? ;)

I'd put my money on him as the best from Tennessee since he played high school and college ball in the state.

Isn't Spurrier from Tennessee and just went to college at Florida. He won some big trophy they give to college players. I used to remember what they called it before they cheated Peyton out of it. ;)

But I'd have to say that Reggie is the most successful player in Tennessee history on a high school/college/pro level.

Del.