Week 3:Oak Ridge at Farragut

BigDave1967

Farragut fans, help me settle a dispute. My co-worker who live in the Farragut zone (outside the Town of Farragut) says the Admirals have the star on the helmet in honor of Bill Bates being a Cowboy. I said that can't be true because I played against the Admirals in 1979-1981 and they had a star on the helmet then and Bill Bates was at UT then and wasn't a Cowboy till 1983. I think Ken Sparks brought the star with him.

Any help would be appreciated.

STARPOWER would probably be the best one to ask this question, as he seems to be the resident Farragut historian on here, but I am fairly sure that the star was worn before Bill Bates ever became a cowboy. I am fairly sure the Star was first worn Farragut in either 1977 or 1978(I am leaning towards this), as you said, when Ken Sparks was the coach. I have heard it was because he wanted his team to "shoot for the stars" and Dallas had just won Super Bowl 12.

Live video?

Yes it is live. Its HD video with the radio guys doing the commentary, its actually a pretty good setup. I watched for the Powell game and it was like watching a TV broadcast. 

There is usually a link to it on the homepage of the website. 

Edited by adalum96