Week 3:Oak Ridge at Farragut

BigDave1967

I'm almost positive the current helmet was adopted the season after I graduated, which would have been 1988. I know for certain that the blue helmet with the grey star was worn in 1987.

I was a youngster playing cup ball on the hill west of the home stands during that '81 season. I thought those guys hung the moon!

With the rest, getting back into the 70's and earlier, I'm trusting other people's memories. In Clyde's Farragut Football Retrospective he notes the first star on the helmet for the '77 season and the first star on a jersey (based on the Ole Miss uniforms) in 1966.

Sounds like you have pretty specific and different recall. Interesting the changes and how folks are usually partial to, and remember clearly, what they knew at a certain age. Using myself as an example, I've never been kicked off with the red in the baseball cap; I don't understand where that came from. These things -- changes and inability to understand -- happen with age!

Good win tonight for Farragut.

That is correct. The blue helmet was used from '81 - '87. The silver helmet with blue star returned in 1988.

Interestingly, in 1986, the Admirals began the season with blue helmets minus the gray stripe and star helmet logos; the players had to earn them. Coach Bland and his staff also installed a triple option offense to maximize personnel that season.

As far as the star helmet logo existing prior to 1977, one of my relatives coached at Halls during the 1960s and early 1970s. He has still black & white game photos from that period depicting Farragut with a solid star (similar to the early Dallas Cowboys helmet logo without the border) and Halls with an "H". He has later photos depicting Farragut with an "F" and Halls with the "H".

I do not know if either of the logos was used for the entire respective season; however, a former employer who played at Carter during the 60s also told me that he played against Farragut during that period and Farragut had a solid blue star helmet logo.

Edited by Former44

That is correct. The blue helmet was used from '81 - '87. The silver helmet with blue star returned in 1988.

Interestingly, in 1986, the Admirals began the season with blue helmets minus the gray stripe and star helmet logos; the players had to earn them. Coach Bland and his staff also installed a triple option offense to maximize personnel that season.

As far as the star helmet logo existing prior to 1977, one of my relatives coached at Halls during the 1960s and early 1970s. He has still black & white game photos from that period depicting Farragut with a solid star (similar to the early Dallas Cowboys helmet logo without the border) and Halls with an "H". He has later photos depicting Farragut with an "F" and Halls with the "H".

I do not know if either of the logos was used for the entire respective season; however, a former employer who played at Carter during the 60s also told me that he played against Farragut during that period and Farragut had a solid blue star helmet logo.

Thanks Former44. Great info.