Week 3:Oak Ridge at Farragut

BigDave1967

I hate to say but I saw this coming. OR only beat a down Farragut team by 6 last year so this was to be expected. And now OR can't say that they lost because they hadn't played before the Farragut game. Just like I have been saying for awhile now Farragut is OR's Kryptonite. All teams have that one team that is a thorn in their side and Farragut is that team for OR. Don't stress OR fans. Ya'll will still win the rest of your games. Just hope and pray that you don't run into Farragut in the playoffs and you will be golden.

Actually, Bates never wore the blue helmet with the silver star. That helmet was implemented by Coach Bland in '81 (Stone, Moeller, Irwin, Jeter, Bland, etc... outstanding team). The blue helmet remained through '87 - Coach Fisher's first year.

In addition, Farragut also had a solid blue star well in advance of Coach Sparks' arrival. It was for at least one year in

late '60's or early '70's, and it was later changed to a blue "F" before it's reintroduction in '77.

I'm almost positive the current helmet was adopted the season after I graduated, which would have been 1988. I know for certain that the blue helmet with the grey star was worn in 1987.

I was a youngster playing cup ball on the hill west of the home stands during that '81 season. I thought those guys hung the moon!

With the rest, getting back into the 70's and earlier, I'm trusting other people's memories. In Clyde's Farragut Football Retrospective he notes the first star on the helmet for the '77 season and the first star on a jersey (based on the Ole Miss uniforms) in 1966.

Sounds like you have pretty specific and different recall. Interesting the changes and how folks are usually partial to, and remember clearly, what they knew at a certain age. Using myself as an example, I've never been kicked off with the red in the baseball cap; I don't understand where that came from. These things -- changes and inability to understand -- happen with age!

Good win tonight for Farragut.

Edited by ErikG

I'm almost positive the current helmet was adopted the season after I graduated, which would have been 1988. I know for certain that the blue helmet with the grey star was worn in 1987.

I was a youngster playing cup ball on the hill west of the home stands during that '81 season. I thought those guys hung the moon!

With the rest, getting back into the 70's and earlier, I'm trusting other people's memories. In Clyde's Farragut Football Retrospective he notes the first star on the helmet for the '77 season and the first star on a jersey (based on the Ole Miss uniforms) in 1966.

Sounds like you have pretty specific and different recall. Interesting the changes and how folks are usually partial to, and remember clearly, what they knew at a certain age. Using myself as an example, I've never been kicked off with the red in the baseball cap; I don't understand where that came from. These things -- changes and inability to understand -- happen with age!

Good win tonight for Farragut.

Thanks Erik! I was one of those '81 guys, but I didn't really hang the moon !!!

The helmet was silver with a blue star under Coach Sparks and in 1980 under coach Bland. We went to a blue helmet with a silver star in 1981. It stayed that way until the late 80's I think.

I was at the game. I have no connections to either team. I literally looked at schedules and pick this game to attend. And I am not from the area.

My thoughts:

FHS played with more heart (it appeared). I thought OR had the more athletic team, but some of their offensive play calling had me scratching my head. Strange (I believe that is his name) from FHS name was called ALL night long. It seemed like he was in OR's backfield all night. He made some big stops. TN commit Higgins had 2 TDs and 1 TD that was called back. OR had another wide open receiver drop a TD, OR missed 1 field goal and botched another and turned the ball over on downs. FHS took advantage of OR's miscues. Overall, I thought OR played a sloppy game, while FHS played well, but OR's offensive execution was something to be desired.

I keep picking Oak Ridge to win this game , but it really does seem like Farragut has their number , congrats to the Ads ( Oh that hurt ..... j/k )

I agree.I think they have to much in the trenches most years.But tonight Oak Ridge really did improve on offense.Dropped TD to a wide wide open man,TD called back for a flag behind play,missed fg,botched snap on fg and other things just killed OR.Play calling does need to get better but the sky is not falling.The defense missed MW more than people thought they would.Im not gettin worried unless we look the same in week 8 or later.