Week 3:Oak Ridge at Farragut

BigDave1967

Is Tyler Carr still the radio guy?  He was a good player for us. 

I don't think so, I know it's the same play-by-play guy that has been doing it for a while now, Erik Gerhardt and he is great. I think the other guy's name is Brett Clendenen, not 100% sure on the spelling. The do a pretty good job together. 

Farragut fans, help me settle a dispute. My co-worker who live in the Farragut zone (outside the Town of Farragut) says the Admirals have the star on the helmet in honor of Bill Bates being a Cowboy. I said that can't be true because I played against the Admirals in 1979-1981 and they had a star on the helmet then and Bill Bates was at UT then and wasn't a Cowboy till 1983. I think Ken Sparks brought the star with him.

Any help would be appreciated.

adalum is right about the first year with the star on the helmet; it was '77 which was Coach Sparks first year at Farragut (Coach Courtney's 1st year, too, on the FHS staff) and the last year playing over on the south side of Kingston Pike. For the Oak Ridge game at the old stadium that year, foreshadowing a similar event that would take place during the Farragut/ Oak Ridge game 20 years later at Blankenship, half the lights were out on the visitor's side the entire night. By the way, the Admirals only loss in that '77 season was to Oak Ridge (21-6 in the schools' first-ever meeting on the gridiron), but that was enough to keep them out of the playoffs. (Thanks to Clyde Floyd for documenting so much of the Farragut football program's history.) 

As for the star, it's a common navy/nautical symbol (e.g. Commodores). So Bill Bates had already worn the star (albeit a gray star on a navy helmet) for a couple of seasons before making his impactful impression with the Cowboys a few years later. 

Is Tyler Carr still the radio guy?  He was a good player for us. 

Tyler is as fine a person as you could ever hope to meet. He landed a high school teaching and coaching gig a few years ago, so his Friday's -- and every other day in the fall, come to think of it -- became a lot busier than they were during his time providing truly colorful commentary.

Edited by ErikG

Farragut fans, help me settle a dispute. My co-worker who live in the Farragut zone (outside the Town of Farragut) says the Admirals have the star on the helmet in honor of Bill Bates being a Cowboy. I said that can't be true because I played against the Admirals in 1979-1981 and they had a star on the helmet then and Bill Bates was at UT then and wasn't a Cowboy till 1983. I think Ken Sparks brought the star with him.