Thoughts on Disciplining Team for a Couple Players' Actions

I don't agree that the kids got to keep their starting spot but maybe punishing the team is his way of trying to get some guys to step up and be leaders and maybe self police this sort of thing. Just my 2 cents. If the team in question is lacking leadership and this causes some guys to step up and the team makes a nice run, then the coach looks like a genius.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of group punishment is stupid. You see it all the time now in high school sports. It's pathetic. Chinese communists were well known in the past to severely punish an entire family for the misdeeds of one family member. No difference. If you are a coach, be a man and single out the wrongdoer by punishing only him. This is an example of the stupidity of our modern culture. It's also weak.

This is a tricky situation.   A baseball coach in college that punished the team for athletes that missed classes, while the player that missed the class sat and watched.  Now when they got back to the locker room and or dorm, those senior leaders made it quite clear that it better not happen again or somebody was going to get a 10 pound can of whoop-#### opened up on them. 

I played for a coach in high school that was as strict as any.  He did punish players for breaking rules, and even sat players out for a game, but not for missing practice.  He did run the heck out of everyone but only set players out that did something seriously wrong, he even kicked players off the team and then they transferred to others programs and played against us.

He always told us everybody could be replaced and the team and program would still go on.  Parents didn't like him cause he took no crap from anybody.  And when he left the program went down hill.

Don't know if their is a pacific method for this offense but some sort of punishment should be handed out unless the coach has a rule stating that you can miss practice for a doctor's appointment or something like that.

If you are such a mind reader, then I don't need to tell you what I think of your posts. I never mentioned a team or player, nor do I plan to do so. However, I'd love it if you shared any insight you have to particular teams with us.

You should set up a booth and tell people the future.

I don't have to be a mind reader because we all know there coach in your crosshairs.

Accountability... the actions of one or a few (on or off the field) impact the success or failure of all involved. My college baseball coach did the same thing.  The rule breaker got his #### beat after practice, and that was the end of it. I assure you that the guys on that team though twice about breaking team rules after that day of running and the tail kicking laid on the violator. Players need to be accountable to each other as much, or more so than their coach.

So you're fine with everyone on the team suffering more than the ruler breakers?

Interesting.

I'm going to see what I can find out but I'll repeat...if this happened last week then I do have a problem with it if the players in question (those who violated team rules) weren't punished more than the rest of the team. If this just happened this week then why jump to conclusions since we won't know how the coach will punish them until the next game. The ONLY reason to jump to your conclusions is that you have a certain coach in your crosshairs....otherwise, let's wait and see. And I do NOT have a problem with the entire team being punished (especially if the punishment is the horrible act of putting on your pants LOL). But I do agree that those who violated the rules should be punished more than the others. My question is this......IF THIS REALLY HAPPENED....and coming from you it's hard to tell, given your venom for a certain coach...has the team played a game since it happened? If not, then you're jumping the gun due to your hatred of the coach BUT if the team has played a game and those in violation weren't punished more than the others, then I agree with you 100%.

Accountability... the actions of one or a few (on or off the field) impact the success or failure of all involved. My college baseball coach did the same thing.  The rule breaker got his #### beat after practice, and that was the end of it. I assure you that the guys on that team though twice about breaking team rules after that day of running and the tail kicking laid on the violator. Players need to be accountable to each other as much, or more so than their coach.

Great post

I'm going to see what I can find out but I'll repeat...if this happened last week then I do have a problem with it if the players in question (those who violated team rules) weren't punished more than the rest of the team. If this just happened this week then why jump to conclusions since we won't know how the coach will punish them until the next game. The ONLY reason to jump to your conclusions is that you have a certain coach in your crosshairs....otherwise, let's wait and see. And I do NOT have a problem with the entire team being punished (especially if the punishment is the horrible act of putting on your pants LOL). But I do agree that those who violated the rules should be punished more than the others. My question is this......IF THIS REALLY HAPPENED....and coming from you it's hard to tell, given your venom for a certain coach...has the team played a game since it happened? If not, then you're jumping the gun due to your hatred of the coach BUT if the team has played a game and those in violation weren't punished more than the others, then I agree with you 100%.

I never said this happened anywhere. I just asked a hypothetical, and as usual, you assume you know what I'm thinking.

Did something like this happen at Oak Ridge?