Thoughts on Disciplining Team for a Couple Players' Actions

I have an issue (not a vendetta) with any adult that's in a position to positively influence a child & decides to be an enabler.

I will make no bones about that. Your coach kicked his starting QB off the team for less than the player in question at OR has done.

I've noticed that you won't answer questions when you don't like the answer. Let me ask it again.....has the team in question played a game since the alleged incident took place? If the answer is yes and the players weren't punished, then I'm with you, BUT...if the answer is no, then why the he*# are you even bringing this up? Wait until they play their next game and see what happens. Speaking of reading minds, do you already know what your least favorite coach will do or what he won't do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't have to mention the team, its in your name. Your kid got punished for what another kid did. We got that also. Perhaps the Coach (Joe Gaddis) if I'm right figures the team will send the message to these two far better than he can if they caused the team to endure a rough practice. What I do know is calling a legend like Coach Gaddis into question on here gets no favorable results. If you feel strongly, go talk to him.

Surprised that I had to read this far down to find a post that I agree with. In order to build a team, the team is treated as a whole. Individuals on the team will hold those responsible accountable far better than if the coach singled them out. If the two who caused their teammates to be punished have any character, that'll have more effect than if they were disciplined themselves.

Surprised that I had to read this far down to find a post that I agree with. In order to build a team, the team is treated as a whole. Individuals on the team will hold those responsible accountable far better than if the coach singled them out. If the two who caused their teammates to be punished have any character, that'll have more effect than if they were disciplined themselves.

+1

I've noticed that you won't answer questions when you don't like the answer. Let me ask it again.....has the team in question played a game since the alleged incident took place? If the answer is yes and the players weren't punished, then I'm with you, BUT...if the answer is no, then why the he*# are you even bringing this up? Wait until they play their next game and see what happens. Speaking of reading minds, do you already know what your least favorite coach will do or what he won't do?

Why am I posting it here?

Pretty simple. Punishment under this staff becomes more likely to happen when the actions deserving punishment are brought to light. As I'm sure you know, a player walked off the field a couple weeks ago & his playing time INCREASED the following week against McMinn. Essentially, certain offensive coaches won't punish kids & appear to reward kids that act out on defense.

I would prefer that we don't get to calling out numbers, because you know I am correct.

Edited by OakRidgeTruthTeller

Pretty simple. Punishment under this staff becomes more likely to happen when the actions deserving punishment are brought to light. As I'm sure you know, a player walked off the field a couple weeks ago & his playing time INCREASED the following week against McMinn. Essentially, certain offensive coaches won't punish kids & appear to reward kids that act out on defense.

I would prefer that we don't get to calling out numbers, because you know I am correct.

Interesting read. I don't understand what you mean by "act out on defense".

Interesting read. I don't understand what you mean by "act out on defense".

Refused to run with the second team defense, because he wanted to play scout team QB. Took his helmet off and left the field.

Suddenly, he was getting reps in a tight game at WR against McMinn. Would guarantee that he doesn't get many (if any) reps on defense going forward. Team discipline is divided by what side of the ball a kid is on at the time. Offense is where you can play, but not be held accountable for your actions.

Edited by OakRidgeTruthTeller

Once again I would request that you answer the question (but we know you won't because the answer obviously isn't to your liking)....but I'll try AGAIN.  Has the team played a game since the players in question "skipped" practice. Since you refuse to address this question, then we all must assume there hasn't been a game so the coach hasn't had an opportunity to address the situation. We all know your agenda. You either are a disgruntled parent, a disgruntled former player, a disgruntled former coach, but whatever you are, it's obvious that you are single minded in an attempt to build animosity toward the head coach. You are very simple minded and frankly you aren't very smart. Now you're saying that bringing something to light Coacht is likely to bring about punishment by the head coach?????  Would that be because of the thousands of fans who read and post on Coacht and the pressure that they bring? LOL.....your act is getting old......and by the way....answer the question at the beginning of this post (don't hold your breath out there because the answer apparently doesn't suit him, so he avoids the answer)

That he made the statement to the players or that I agreed with it? For the record, I am generally against collective punishment, but sometimes it can be useful.

I can agree with this in a better world. My problem with collective punishment in the real world is that most coaches do it out of fear. They are afraid to single out players because of parents, administrators, lawsuits or that, of it's a star player, they'll lose if he quits. If a player is caught using roids, do you punish the entire team? Of course not. But why not? It's because there is agreement that this is unacceptable, really bad behavior by the vast majority. Lesser offenses for some reason do often result in collective punishment. I understand pepvol's analogy but I think it fails applied to high school. Back in the day if an individual caused the majority to suffer, they'd kick his azz or worse. Nowadays the majority would be jailed. Edited by TomJoad

I can agree with this in a better world. My problem with collective punishment in the real world is that most coaches do it out of fear. They are afraid to single out players because of parents, administrators, lawsuits or that, of it's a star player, they'll lose if he quits. If a player is caught using roids, do you punish the entire team? Of course not. But why not? It's because there is agreement that this is unacceptable, really bad behavior by the vast majority. Lesser offenses for some reason do often result in collective punishment. I understand pepvol's analogy but I think it fails applied to high school. Back in the day if an individual caused the majority to suffer, they'd kick his azz or worse. Nowadays the majority would be jailed.

Nailed it.