TSSAA Referees

CoolHandLuke

I just said this a few weeks back, but the referee program in this state is terrible! Football in TN is getting better imo, but poor refereeing and referee supervision will hold it back! I've left a few Page games this year completely unsatisfied as a sports fan bc the referees played such a big role. This is a big dark cloud that is tainting the beautiful game of football!

Have to agree with King. We had an official completely change the outcome of a rivalry game earlier this season. Suspended our best back for remainder of the game and the next game on a controversial call. End result.....Grace wins by 6 in OT. T$$AA refused to hear the appeal.

It really isn't a new thing.  The screwed up 2 calls in a 1986 state championship game in epic proportions so bad that even Ronnie Carter acknowledged it.  Then there is the famous Touch Down Jesus call in the Boyd-FCA playoff game 4 or 5 years ago that resulted in the official moving the goal line.

Edited by rlh

Didn't change the game at all, but tonight I saw for the first time ever a head ref get pulled and reassigned to click operator. He flagged us for breaking the huddle with 12 even though the Qb watched until the 12th man was on the sidelines before breaking the huddle. The ref threw the flag and as our coach went to get an explanation he said "it doesn't matter if he gets back off the field" screamed it in fact. He was so sure he was right. So the second half they had a different white hat. Like do they even know the basic rules?

Edited by Raven52

Have lots of friends that are officials and I don't know any of them that would break these rules but that's not saying others don't. I do know this from the stories I hear from them are quite entertaining about certain teams and programs that need to be looked at also. There's not a week goes by that I don't hear something crazy about some program or something that happened. 

I know most aren't bad intentionally. They are just bad, and there isn't a large litter to pick from. No one wants to be a referee if they call a game 95% the right way, but then the only part remembered is the 5% the wrong way. The money is great but the heckling during and bad mouthing following on social media is horrendous. To some it's just not worth it. Other get the I Don't Care attitude and that's not the right way to handle it either. We need refs that have a passion for the work. Those that admit mistakes and have a great attitude when they step on the field. You can always look at the refs and pick the one that has a chip on his shoulder from the get go. It shouldn't be that way. Things won't get better overnight. But again, a ref must have a passion for what he is doing. I would say 50% of them do not. I know I do, but I umpire softball. It's more competitive (probably not the right thing to say on this manly football board lol).

The $ is not great...most all work their normal job then must arrive at game site 1-2 hours before kickoff...depending on the school might have a place to change might not depending on the school might get fed well before the game might not get even a candy bar and a water...must deal with the heat and cold rain and snow...must drive home after a 2-3 hour game so roughly 5-6 hours for $95.

.it goes to $100 next year. Most referees work 9 or 10 Friday nights a year and some may get a couple playoff games...most love being back out on the field from high school or college days...all do it for the $ but they enjoy it as well...definitely need more young people getting in the game