District 9-A

ecu

Who do you think is going to be the biggest challenger for Hornets?

Dont see them losing in the district unless they have a really bad game. Played terrible at MTCS and somehow got out of there with a close win. Fayetteville is the second best team because of the good guard, but they have nothing to go with him.  Cascade will be a big test after losing to them the first time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After seeing everyone play I would like to change my predictions:

Huntland

MTC

Eagleville

Fayetteville

Community

Forrest

Moore Co.

3-5 ended up close but Community has emerged as the best threat to enter into the top three. Huntland still the best team. Who has the best chance to beat them?

First Round

Eagleville vs. City: I like Eagleville in this one. Kelley from Eagleville is the most underrated player in the district. Eagleville has been knocked out in the 4-5 match up the last two years. I do not think he will let this happen three years in a row, as a senior.

Community vs. Moore County: Community should win this one fairly easily. Pride is on a roll, and Community is finally getting some solid guard play from Wiesner. Community is the one team in the district who can match Huntland's post play.

Semi Finals

Huntland vs. Eagleville: Huntland should win this one by 8-12 points. They are the most talented team in the district. FWIW I believe Foster should win 9A MVP and Mr. Basketball over Hopkins. His numbers are not quite as flashy; however, he is a more complete player and plays on one of the best teams in the state (Singe A).

MTCS vs. Community: This is an intriguing match up. I like Community in a tight one. They are really peaking at the right time, and I don't think MTCS has an answer for Pride.

Championship

Huntland vs. Community: This could be Huntland's toughest game to this point in the season. They really abuse teams on the boards, but Community has the post play to match them on the glass. Community might have the best coach in the district on their side. Not Coach Davis, no disrespect to him, but the tall assistant coach the have really knows what he's doing. If Community can motivate Pride to make life tough on Foster for 32 minutes they have a real shot. However, I am going to go with Huntland in this one as they are the more talented and experienced team in this match up. They have a real shot at the gold ball this year if Foster can catch fire like he did at tournament time last year. They have solid post play, a veteran PG, shooting, and most importantly experience. It also helps that Single A basketball in Memphis is a bit down this year.

Consolation

MTCS vs. Moore County: Moore County had a feel good win over Forrest in the play in game; however, MTCS is the superior team and should win this easily.

The region tournament should be very competitive this year. We will probably see a 9-10 split with Huntland and Lead both for sure winning. I do believe Region 5 will sweep the Sub State battles this year. Good luck to all remaining teams!