The penalty for not scheduling cupcakes & bad teams in the playoffs

nrgrizzlies

Again it is all well and void to say just win your region games! Every coach I know says the same thing. In this instance Stewart's Creek won their regions games or just as many as the 3 teams in their region Lavergne, Shelbyville and Lincoln Co. They were tied for 2nd in the region with those above mentioned teams it not like they won 1 or 2 region games. It just a shame the teams that played the easy schedules out of conference got the benefit over them heck Lincoln finishes 2nd ahead of LaVergne who beat them 34-8 just a couple weeks ago. It is what it is good luck to the 5-5A district in the playoffs and congrats to Stewart's Creek on a good year in only their 3rd year as a program. Use it as motivation to get there next year.

Again win REGION GAMES AND YOU GO! My team shut out our #3 seeded team in our region but lost to the 4th seeded team, we all had the same region record 5-3 but finished 5th and  out. Stop crying win and you are in.

LOLOLOLOL ... this debate rages on and on.

Look folks ... there isn't a plan that will please everyone. Some like the Z-plan. Others hate it. Some like the current plan with the Super 32. Others think it stinks. Some want to go back to 5 classes, others are fine with 6. Some just want three classes. There are those who are pssionate about teams under 0.500 not bheing in the playoffs. Others don't give a flip. Then there is the team that is 0-10, 1-9, 2-8, etc. traveling to lose a first round game, and those that think that, that is a travisty ... both in embarrasment, cost to travel, or the sheer indingity that a team with a record as such even got into the playoffs. Don't let a team with a 6-4 record from what is thought to be a more competitive region NOT get in. That is highway robbery!

Somebody is always going to complain.

I frankly don't care what plan is used. I'll keep saying this one thing.

WHATEVER you do, do NOT allow subjectivety be part of the selection process. Just find a plan with clear cut sets of criteria. Let the chips fall where they may. Two things will happen.

1) More people will NOT like the plan then those who do like it.

2) No one will think that there is any bias or hanky panky going on with the teams that make it to the playoffs.

That's all I require ... the removal of or just the hint of bias. No one selects who deserves to go. No selection committee, no newspaper polls, nothing of that sort.

Agreed ðŸ‘

The z plan was a disaster. It was way too complicated. The current plan is the same plan that was in place before the z plan...save the super 32. Having schools in 2 different classes playing in the same district was ridiculous. The current plan is fine.

ANY playoff format that requires a 1500 word PFD file with 9 graphs to explain how it works is a HORRIBLE system.

Now it is easy. Win your Region games. Period.

Again win REGION GAMES AND YOU GO! My team shut out our #3 seeded team in our region but lost to the 4th seeded team, we all had the same region record 5-3 but finished 5th and out. Stop crying win and you are in.[/quote

Again apsugov7 not crying bit stating an opinion. I feel more should be put into it than just overall record when it comes to the tiebreaker system. My opinion you can agree or disagree as I said INt he post I don't any coach that doesn't believe or preach the win and get in motto. Geez I guess if you have a differing opinion or don't agree with something you are a cryer nowadays.

Again win REGION GAMES AND YOU GO! My team shut out our #3 seeded team in our region but lost to the 4th seeded team, we all had the same region record 5-3 but finished 5th and out. Stop crying win and you are in.[/quote

Again apsugov7 not crying bit stating an opinion. I feel more should be put into it than just overall record when it comes to the tiebreaker system. My opinion you can agree or disagree as I said INt he post I don't any coach that doesn't believe or preach the win and get in motto. Geez I guess if you have a differing opinion or don't agree with something you are a cryer nowadays.

For all you people who are still complaining about Stewarts Creek not get in the playoff even though they beat Shelbyville (and Shelbyville played a weak schedule) let me break it down for you:

After the final games were played last Friday, four (4) teams were all technically tied for second place in the region with region records of 4-3 ( LaVergne, Lincoln County, Shelbyville, and Stewarts Creek).

The first tie breaker is head-to head. Since each team had beaten at least one of the other teams we go to the next tie break, overall record.

At this point there is a separation, two teams were at 7-3 and two teams were at 6-4. So we go back to head to head for both sets of teams. Since Lincoln County beat Shelbyville Lincoln County got second in the region and Shelbyville got third. And since LaVergne beat Stewarts Creek Lavergne got fourth and Stewart Creek came in fifth.

Now, let's back to the first head to head tie breaker. If my understanding of first few tiebreaker rules is correct had Shelbyville finished with the same number of region wins but had beaten Independence instead of LaVergne Shelyville would have came in fifth because they would not have beaten one of the three other teams who were at 4-3 in the region. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't had a dog in this fight. I mainly follow Maplewood and the teams in thier region.  But I can bring up their region, Region 5 4A, as a tiebreaker example.

Going into the last week, two teams were tied for first with 4-0 records (Pearl-Cohn and Springfiled); and four teams were technically tied for second with 1-3 records (Macon County, Maplewood, Portland, and White House)  Since Pearl-Cohn and Springfield woulld play each other that would take care of first and second place. And, since Macon County plays Portland and White House plays Maplewood third and fourth place would be decided as well.

Portland beat Macon County and Maplewood beat White House leaving the winners with 2-3 region records.  Portland(4-6) finsihed with a better overall record than Maplewood (3-7). But Maplewood was slotted third in the region because Maplewood won the head to head with Portland. Had Macon County beaten Portland Maplewood would have been slotted fourth. Conversely, had Maplewood lost to White House with Portland still winning they would have been placed third because Portland had beaten White House in their head to head game.

Maplewood's third place finish over three other teams with better overall records shows how important region wins are. This is the same system that was in place before the Z-Plan. There are those who don't like it, but it's very simple: WIN YOUR REGION GAMES.

Edited by midtnmale