Tip for the TSSAA

spalding18

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple, you play to win and earn your right into the playoffs. I can't believe people could think otherwise. It's a waste of gas to drive 250 miles to lose 61-2...... If anything that's just a huge blow to the ego of the losing team. It could even lead to a lack of self worth if you want to get psychological with it.

While I am not for the new system currently in place but "a lack of self worth" is pushing it. It is a GAME! Part of the problem with our country today!

It's simple, you play to win and earn your right into the playoffs. I can't believe people could think otherwise. It's a waste of gas to drive 250 miles to lose 61-2...... If anything that's just a huge blow to the ego of the losing team. It could even lead to a lack of self worth if you want to get psychological with it.

And we do not want to be Indiana!!! Their playoffs are ridiculous!!! Earn your spot!!

I don't care either way because this is the last year it matters to me. It's funny though because they say the very same thing about our playoff system. I believe in football everyone shouldn't make the playoffs because the good vs bad gap is so large.

Most have missed my point. Yes I agree that everyone should not make the playoffs and Tennessee does not need to copy Indiana. But it still baffles me that the tie breaker goes with out of region games. Also that some regions have 6 or 7 teams and some have 8 teams. Geographic/distance or not all regions should have equal number of teams. I do believe this should change every 2 years instead of 4 also. That could help some schools who may have to travel. May not also. Suggestion for the Super 32. Make it the top 48 in 6A 8 regions of 6. With top 4 getting in. 5A next 56 or 64, and so on.

Most have missed my point. Yes I agree that everyone should not make the playoffs and Tennessee does not need to copy Indiana. But it still baffles me that the tie breaker goes with out of region games. Also that some regions have 6 or 7 teams and some have 8 teams. Geographic/distance or not all regions should have equal number of teams. I do believe this should change every 2 years instead of 4 also. That could help some schools who may have to travel. May not also. Suggestion for the Super 32. Make it the top 48 in 6A 8 regions of 6. With top 4 getting in. 5A next 56 or 64, and so on.

What if you have an odd number? Even number of teams is not necessarily the answer. Just beat who you have to to get in no matter if the are traditional strong teams or weak teams.

I have read the arguments both for and against the Super 32.  Not going to get into that because it will not change for another year at least.  Read all the way through, you may be surprised with the outcome.  My main problem is with the playoff Region Playoff Tie Breakers.  If you are going to put teams in a region and say that the top 4 finishers qualify, than only the Region games should be counted.  I know of other States that use what they call the 13 point rule to break ties.  Here it goes:  Only applies to Region games.  If you win a game by 13 points you get +13, if you lose by 13 you are at -13.  If you win by 5 you are at +5 and again lose by 5 you are -5.  If you win by anything above 13 or lose by more than 13 again you can only be +13 or -13.  This is a decent enough score that teams can win and not have to beat someone by 40 or 50 points.  Yes, get ahead so you can play younger players to gain experience but you do not have to humiliate a team by running the score up.  After the 5, 6 or 7 even 8 region games are played you figure each teams 13 point differential.  This is the total divided by the number of region games played.  Example Team A has a +23 playing 7 region games, their score would be +3.28.  This really comes into play when you have the 3 or 4 way tie with teams with identical records, but cannot come up team that has beaten everyone else.  It is usually Team A beat B, Team B beat C and Team C beat A.  Can even happen with a 4 way tie.  When this happens the team with the highest point avg gets the highest playoff spot.  If the 3 team are ties for first in the region this team is the champ.  Than you would go to head to head with the next 2 teams to find out who is 2nd or 3rd.  If it happens with 4 team same thing.  Find the top avg, they are in and than if the next 3 teams cannot be decided you go with the next top avg.  Would not come into play if a team has beaten the other 2 teams.  When it comes down to 2 teams tied it is head to head.  Very easy.  I did this with Class 5A, Region 5.  Independence is the Champ and gets the top spot.  Now there are 4 teams tied with 4 and 3 records.  Lavergne would have received the 2nd spot because their 13 point avg is the best of the tied 4 teams at +3.28.  Now you have 3 teams still tied Lincoln Co. gets the 3rd spot 2 ways, their 13 point avg is better than Shelbyville and Stewarts Creek and also because they beat both .  Now it comes down to Shelbyville and Stewarts Creek.  Stewarts Creek beat Shelbyville in head to head so Stewarts Creek grabs the 4th spot.  This is not the way the current tie breaker is set up.  It goes to overall record.  Very poor planning on the TSSAA.  Teams no matter what class need to play closer teams or rivals. That is fine but for the TSSAA to put teams in a region and than go outside the region to decide the playoffs is wrong in my opinion.  The procedure of the 13 point rule is simple not complex.  Unlike the Z plan when you had to figure if a team beat an above .500 team or not gets very confusing.  Region 5 under the current tie breaker system has Independence #1, Lincoln Co. #2, Shelbyville #3 and Lavergne #4.  With the 13 point rule it would have been Indy with the #1; +13, Lavergne at #2; +3.28, Lincoln Co. at #3; +3.14 and Stewarts Creek at #4; +1.85 and Shelbyville out at #5 with a +1.14.  Just some helpful advice for the TSSAA.  This could go into place for next year, no problem and the argument of playing down or up against teams that are having a bad year or are not very good is thrown out.  Will wait for the comments to follow.  Wishing all the teams great success and let the playoffs begin.

Thank you for reading!

Ever heard of paragraphs?  They are amazing and tend to break up the monotony of a run-on statement like this.  I'm just glad a hard-working, do things the right way team like Summit beat two of the teams that qualified for the playoffs this year.  Go Spartans!!!  

Ever heard of paragraphs?  They are amazing and tend to break up the monotony of a run-on statement like this.  I'm just glad a hard-working, do things the right way team like Summit beat two of the teams that qualified for the playoffs this year.  Go Spartans!!!

I don't really care but who are u the coachT english teacher? Lol The guy was just discussing a point not trying to get an A on a paper! This is a chat forum grow up!

I don't really care but who are u the coachT english teacher? Lol The guy was just discussing a point not trying to get an A on a paper! This is a chat forum grow up!

I'm with you...however, if we want to have quality discussions, then people need to be able to interpret, comprehend and analyze what is typed and when it is all written as a big conglomeration of words with no direction, that takes away from the point of the forum in the first place.  JMO, I'll shut up now. FYB FYB FYB FYB FYB

I'm with you...however, if we want to have quality discussions, then people need to be able to interpret, comprehend and analyze what is typed and when it is all written as a big conglomeration of words with no direction, that takes away from the point of the forum in the first place. JMO, I'll shut up now. FYB FYB FYB FYB FYB

I actually interpreted it very well, I had no problems understanding the point trying to be made. My theory is you come on here to empower yourself and create unnecessary topics that stray away from football. This is America, we all speak and write English... Pretty sure no one needs help in that department.