Here's a thought?

donhaney

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by lazarus:

when have i said that? why are you asking me to explain something i have never said? you may as well ask me why wife beating is ok.

Laz...I didn`t say that you had said that...DUH! I asked you that question because you seem to be supportive of this split. So why should privates only be singled out or are you saying that this split is wrong because it unfairly singles out privates and not the public schools that have lrger areas? What is your opinion?

what if the split is done not by public - private but by useing the idea ... if you have access to students outside of a determined zone then you go to D2. How many schools would that add to the d2, all the privates, the magnets and schools that can take students outside of zone. VG you prob. know how many schools this would be. I just wonder what D2 would end up looking like if it also got these schools.

t-gen posted:

"I asked you that question because you seem to be supportive of this split."

again, when have i expressed support for a total split? i believe i have been consistent in opposing a split, even the current one. while i do believe that the current classification system is flawed, i dont think a simplistic total split does anything but change the names.

i did say that some sort of change is inevitable. do you seriously believe that the current situation can endure? i believe that if the only response by privates is an insistence on maintaining the status quo, the change will absolutely end up being a total split.

Posted by hoop04:

what if the split is done not by public - private but by useing the idea ... if you have access to students outside of a determined zone then you go to D2. How many schools would that add to the d2, all the privates, the magnets and schools that can take students outside of zone. VG you prob. know how many schools this would be. I just wonder what D2 would end up looking like if it also got these schools.

hoop..I`m still learning of more and more schools that accept kids from out of zone. I just think that if it`s unfair for privates to do it, then it should be unfair for publics. I just don`t see how anyone can argue that fact.

Laz...I have said that if there is going to be any change then the reasons for a change should be equally applied to both public and private schools. In other words if it is unfair for privates to get kids from a larger base then it should be unfair for public schools to do the same. Do you agree with that?

VG(Just trying to understand your stance)

Posted by lazarus:

re-read my first post on this thread. i repeat, i support a classification discussion INSTEAD OF a public-private debate. what could i say to be clearer?

Whatever Laz....It`s obvious to everyone that is reading this thread that you simply don`t want to answer the question. But hey...I`ll ask you again. Just so you have another opportunity to refuse to give your opinion.

Do you think that if it is the general belief that having a larger area to get kids from gives private schools an unfair advantage, then should it be ok for public schools to have this same advantage and remain in Div. I ?

That`s a simple and fair question to this whole debate. Do you have an opinion or do you wish to continue to avoid the question?

VG :)

this would make a great twilight zone. you have doggedly argued the same point for what seems like a decade. undeterred by the fact that no one (at least none i have seen) has yet disagreed with you, you continue to insert it into every thread, over and over again. at some point dont you think it becomes spam?

for the benefit of any newbies, you might think that this could all end if i would restrict my response to "yes, you are right". i have tried that, others have tried it. it doesnt work. so for now, i will settle for seeing how many times i can answer the same question, only to have it repeated. i just regret that i started with a serious question and it got buried in all this pointless verbiage without finding out what anyone else thought.

so, my dear friend the obtuse general, i am interested in a discussion of what criteria, besides simple body count, could be used to equitably classify high school athletic teams within the tssaa. the geographic distribution of the student body/student athletes/whatever is obviously one criterion worth examining. i am not interested in differentiating between private and public schools in regards to those criteria. i am not interested in establishing who was right or wrong in previous positions, only in finding what common ground might exist. oh yeah, failing to see any progress towards a worthwhile objective, i do enjoy teasing the general.

could you please repeat the question?

I think it would be very interesting discussion. Teams like CPA and USJ need to move up in classification if they stay public. Schools that continue to dominate their class should have moving up proposed. The idea behind 7 state titles was to give more kids a chance to win. With dominate schools continually winningagainst lesser competition, the idea is virtually negated. Let Maryville or BGA move up a class and see how successful they are. Doe everyone really want to see the same teams in the state every year. Can that be beacuse their coaches are better? No, some teams have too much talent for others to compete. How would BGA and BCS have faired against the Super 7. They each beat one of its teams, yet week to week they dont want to compete.