Round 2 Houston Co @ Wayne Co

wildcat89

I have a topic for you. Who is the best football player to ever come thru Wayne co and Houston county since I don't know that much about either ones history. Give me a lineman and a back/wr. Take Preston out of equation so not to get current player involved and start un-needed feud. Also biggest college someone from program went to to play football. Can be completely different person. I know sometimes the best player can't make the grades for big time college. We've had that happen before

I'll let Disciple tell ya about the oldies but I do know our only current collegiate guy is the QB of the 2012 team (last team to go to the playoffs) for HC is a walk-on at LSU for TE and that may not sound like much but he's a legend in Houston County. We're proud of him!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let Disciple tell ya about the oldies but I do know our only current collegiate guy is the QB of the 2012 team (last team to go to the playoffs) for HC is a walk-on at LSU for TE and that may not sound like much but he's a legend in Houston County. We're proud of him!

congrats to the young man...sounds like a hard worker which i admire...........maybe they shouldve tried to throw to him in that game against bama..........im proud for him also...

No judging here. Walk on or not, it's still the sec. With re-alignment that put us in west and with freshman on TC team I'm just wanting to get familiar with teams we are now going to have potential dealings with. I already know too much about south Pitt, Oneida, coalfield etc.

Yea I got ya. I didn't know much about a lot of our new region either, just that there was good football and tons of tradition. I watched 20+ different highschool teams last year, I love learning about other teams as well!

Yea I got ya. I didn't know much about a lot of our new region either, just that there was good football and tons of tradition. I watched 20+ different highschool teams last year, I love learning about other teams as well!

Didn't Wayne County have a Mr football back in the late 90's? He was a running back. His first name is Brian but for the life if me I can't remember his last name. I was trying to think of it back when we were talking about the old region 6. Just figured some of the older WC posters would know.

congrats to the young man...sounds like a hard worker which i admire...........maybe they shouldve tried to throw to him in that game against bama..........im proud for him also...

LOL.. I got to go see him in Nashville last year for the Music City Bowl and he introduced me to some of the guys. Some feller named Fournette was one of them, really good guy

Didn't Wayne County have a Mr football back in the late 90's? He was a running back. His first name is Brian but for the life if me I can't remember his last name. I was trying to think of it back when we were talking about the old region 6. Just figured some of the older WC posters would know.

Brian Coggins but not sure what year exactly but I'd say mid to late 90's

See even an old cornersville guy can keep up with things haha

Coach Crews told me this story about Coggins once. They were seated at a table with one of the guys up for Mr. Football. He looks at Coggins and says, you up for Mr. Football?

You a kicker or something? I think that's how he told it anyway...

I'm guessing he was much smaller than the others, and they couldn't believe he was a RB. Lol

I always liked that story, it really tells the tale of Wayne County football. Not always the biggest players, but always a scrappy bunch.

Edited by wildcatalumni

Coach Crews told me this story about Coggins once. They were seated at a table with one of the guys up for Mr. Football. He looks at Coggins and says, you up for Mr. Football?

You a kicker or something? I think that's how he told it anyway...

I'm guessing he was much smaller than the others, and they couldn't believe he was a RB. Lol

I always liked that story, it really tells the tale of Wayne County football. Not always the biggest players, but always a scrappy bunch.

if I remember right he was like 160 lbs couldn't have been taller than 5'7. He could play no doubt.