Round 2 Houston Co @ Wayne Co

wildcat89

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True that man. Key word is our 1st team D has been LIGHTS out...no bragging but just saying those boys have played some crazy good defense. In the 2nd game and 1st game of the yr at home vs Scotts Hill we gave up 27pts... SH scored at least 20 all 11 games this season too. That QB over their had probably the best throwing the ball of any QB we have played or seen in many many years. He had over 2500 pass yds but anyways back on point. Our 1st team Def had played exactly 27 of 44 qtrs this yr. Playing into the 4th in just 3 games... SH, Huntingdon n last week. I agree our Def is the backbone of this yrs team. If you want to spend a hard earned $8 I'd suggest coming to watch our MLB duo of #42 Prater and #52 Floyd.... Those 2 are electric and are tough as nails!

Great point here!

The last time these two teams played, HC ran about 60 plays, gaining just 6 first downs. They ran 3 against the WC JV for a first down and a touchdown.

By contrast, the Wildcats scored

0 points on 7 offensive plays in the 1st,

14 points on 8 offensive plays in the 2nd,

14 points on 14 offensive plays in the 3rd, and

13 points on 5 offensive plays in the 4th. (+ 2 victory kneels)

That's 6 touchdowns on 34 plays. Thats a score every 5.6 plays.

Only two scores came from within the red zone. One was a veer option keep from the Irish 19. The other was just two plays after another veer option keep that had gone for 33 yards down to the Irish 6. Most of the rest of the plays went for negative yardage or fairly minimal gains.

HC did succeed at getting pressure on Rice (2-3 sacks), intercepting him for the first time all year (in week 8!), forcing a couple punts, and forcing a fumble as well.

I'm saying this in part to make the point to Irish fans that it wasn't like the Irish quit, or the wheels came off or they lost their intensity. The flow of the game was consistent throughout. And HC made some plays throughout.

There were 2 legitimate drives by HC and 4 short field opportunities granted by penalty, fumble, interception, and kick return. However, there was very little success at blocking WC linebackers. They flowed, shed blocks, and tackled much better than we blocked at the skill positions.

We also hurt several drives with penalties, fumbles, poor passing accuracy (in rain) and 1 interception.

Aside from our utter failure to block those backers, protect the ball, and convert 3rd downs....HC essentially gave up 6 BIG plays—2 per quarter from the time Rice entered the game in the second quarter til it ended. (And by the way Rice was key to everything offense for WC. Even when the big play was a run by someone other than Rice, it was facilitated by a phenomenal mesh&read on the veer.) For all the good HC did in that game defensively, Rice & company were just that much better to find what was still available to exploit.

A good one-play microcosm of HC-D vs. WC-O can be found on Rice's second play of the 2nd quarter. Because of a successful OLB blitz, Rice was on his way to the ground being sacked at his own 8 yard line when he alertly flipped the ball to Cole who was kind of just sitting as a blocker/check-down on the back side of the play. Several great open-field blocks and 90 yards later, Cole was in the Irish endzone.

The Irish defense must play pretty near to perfect in order to make this a game. Cuz you can win every play except 3 to these Wildcats and see 21 points go up on the board. And creating a few turnovers is an absolute must.

On the flip side, it seemed like HC's best defense in the first meeting was the few times we sustained moderate-length drives. You hold the ball vs. WC, you limit their odds for a big play. And if your drives actually convert enough first downs to end in scores....

Is it possible for HC to sustain 3+ long scoring drives?

Is it possible that HC will actually show an edge on the line matchup IF they can block those backers more effectively?

Can HC calm those backers' pursuits in run support by passing more effectively this time around?

Can HC force WC to drive for their scores instead of surrendering the big plays?

What role could special teams play in the outcome this time around?

Edited by disciple633

You played against my brother. He played '99-'02, C/OLB/DE

Man, you guys are talking my kind of football now. I remember watching those guys and thinking to myself. I can't wait to play high school football....

Wildcat #2, do you realize it's been 9 years this Friday since we played our last game.

My 18th bday (Nov.10th 2006) was out final game and I remember it very well man. Shoney's and a hot fudge sundae?? Remember that man? 9 freaking years...dang man I feel so old!

Indeed... most of the heavy stuff is tracking a little further north... but I want WC to open the play book and poor it on from here on out. Dry conditions and Rice at his best. Both the Daddy and Son.

Lights out Defense.

Hey, who do I need to follow on Periscope that broadcast the games?

Bigby man follow Brian Miller or Millertyme25... Ill be up there in the booth with him this week to help be a spotter.

Also #70 I cannot confirm the claims Alumni made...but I do know that CB is full of mess and his prob just lying lol