Round 2-Clarksville Northeast @ Henry County

SEC1rules

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading this board for years and never commented. I very rarely miss a game, but I have found myself really not caring as much about this team. Most of the kids on this team are Grade A young men, students and athletes. The behind the scenes drama with this team has been off the charts and I think a lot of fans are growing weary of the politics. I know that I am.

I certainly want HC to WIN tonight and every night.....I would just prefer it to be the right way....

Without getting personal could you explain a little bit of these "politics" you speak of? Not attacking, just asking question.

I have been reading this board for years and never commented. I very rarely miss a game, but I have found myself really not caring as much about this team. Most of the kids on this team are Grade A young men, students and athletes. The behind the scenes drama with this team has been off the charts and I think a lot of fans are growing weary of the politics. I know that I am.

I certainly want HC to WIN tonight and every night.....I would just prefer it to be the right way....

Curious as to what you're talking about here. What are we doing that doesn't live up to your standards?

Without getting personal could you explain a little bit of these "politics" you speak of? Not attacking, just asking question.

I guess it is like the old saying, "talent always wins out".  It just seems like decisions are made solely on "talent" and "what's best for the team" versus those who "always do the right thing"  None of this is new to most of the HC faithful that have followed the program for a long time.  It is unfortunate at the number of "talented athletes" we see in the newspaper after their time at HC is over for the wrong reasons.

Are we different from any other football driven community?  Probably not.  I understand that we can't stop each young man from making decisions, good or bad, but I question the way they are "rehabilitated". 

I am not calling names or numbers, I just stated an opinion about why I think attendance is down.  Am I wrong?  Probably.  We have a very good team and I will make the trip to Cookeville should we be fortunate enough to get there.

I hope we dominate NE tonight like we should. 

Go Big Red!

I guess it is like the old saying, "talent always wins out".  It just seems like decisions are made solely on "talent" and "what's best for the team" versus those who "always do the right thing"  None of this is new to most of the HC faithful that have followed the program for a long time.  It is unfortunate at the number of "talented athletes" we see in the newspaper after their time at HC is over for the wrong reasons.

Are we different from any other football driven community?  Probably not.  I understand that we can't stop each young man from making decisions, good or bad, but I question the way they are "rehabilitated". 

I am not calling names or numbers, I just stated an opinion about why I think attendance is down.  Am I wrong?  Probably.  We have a very good team and I will make the trip to Cookeville should we be fortunate enough to get there.

Go Big Red!

Good post over all, but in response to the bold: Yes, talent matters. That's just a part of life.

The issues brought forth here, however, are pretty large in scope from a societal standpoint. So I'll just keep this within the limited context of high school football: These kids have lives after football practice, and the coaches aren't going to be there every hour of every day to guide them. Naturally, some of them are going to screw up from time to time. Should they be held accountable? Absolutely. Should they be given 2nd chances? I believe it should be up to the coach, and I believe the punishment should fit the crime. Everyone has their own opinion beyond that. I don't know these kids, as I am not the one working with/teaching them every day, nor do I know the details of the situation that led to disciplinary action, so my opinion is meaningless.

But, from everything I've heard, we do have a group of coaches who genuinely care about these kids and want them to succeed. I trust they will make the decisions they believe are best for the players and the team, whether or not I agree with them as a fan.

Go Pats! Beat Northeast!   

Go Big Red!

Here we go. I was wondering, if anyone behind the mask of anonymity that sites like this provide would comment on the QB change.

Yes talent usually does always win out- unless money is involved and we know who has that.

Instead of being critical on here. Come out in the open and try to be part of the solution.

Care about these young men Sat-Thurs  and the off season.

Root for their ACT scores as much as you do their TDs. Ask them about their grades/classes instead of their good plays.

As someone who will always take the time to mentor many of these "talented athletes", it pains me when I see their names on the front page, but experience has taught me that you can only help those who can see the big picture when it's shown to them.

If you have problems with someone getting multiple chances to do the right thing, take it up with the people allowing that to happen.

And remember don't hate the player-hate the game.

Big Red Rolls tonight! 

Edited by bottomwriter

Here we go. I was wondering, if anyone behind the mask of anonymity that sites like this provide would comment on the QB change.

Yes talent usually does always win out- unless money is involved and we know who has that.

Instead of being critical on here. Come out in the open and try to be part of the solution.

Care about these young men Sat-Thurs and the off season.

Root for their ACT scores as much as you do their TDs. Ask them about their grades/classes instead of their good plays.

As someone who will always take the time to mentor many of these "talented athletes", it pains me when I see their names on the front page, but experience has taught me that you can only help those who can see the big picture when it's shown to them.

If you have problems with someone getting multiple chances to do the right thing, take it up with the people allowing that to happen.

Big Red Rolls tonight!

Excellent post. Touched a bit heavier on my "larger scope" comment.

Care about these young men Sat-Thurs  and the off season.

Big Red Rolls tonight! 

I didn't say anything about any changes on the field.  You make the assumption that you know what I am talking about.  You don't.  As a member of the press, and the go-to person for all knowledge in this county I would think that you would have an idea as to what I am referring.

I can assure you that I have many hours mentoring kids in this county by volunteering my time and by also coaching teams in all sports.  I have always demanded that we play by the rules, have respect and appreciate the opportunity.  I have lost games because I was unwilling to waver on my principles.   I want these young men and women to succeed at life, not just football and basketball.  I would much rather my kids be in the Top Ten than All State.  (I know you are thinking, that is easy for you to say, because your kids don't have that kind of talent......maybe so, but you don't know that)

Bottomwriter, why would anyone want to out themselves to you about their true feelings concerning any subject that even the tiniest bit of controversy?  We all know that you would use your status as the preeminent editorial writer in all of the land to badger anyone into submission that would dare disagree with anything that you might have to say. 

I don't have the forum to "right the wrong", like you do.  How about you use it to "take it up with the people that let it happen"?  You obviously agree that there is a problem.  I could shout from the roof of Gamlin Gymnasium about what I think could be done and no one would care.  Intelligent conversation is a start. 

No more political talk from me.  I just thought I would give my opinion. 

I hate the news about #3.  He is a talented young man and an even better person.  I feel confident he will come back stronger than ever.

GBR......

Good post over all, but in response to the bold: Yes, talent matters. That's just a part of life.

The issues brought forth here, however, are pretty large in scope from a societal standpoint. So I'll just keep this within the limited context of high school football: These kids have lives after football practice, and the coaches aren't going to be there every hour of every day to guide them. Naturally, some of them are going to screw up from time to time. Should they be held accountable? Absolutely. Should they be given 2nd chances? I believe it should be up to the coach, and I believe the punishment should fit the crime. Everyone has their own opinion beyond that. I don't know these kids, as I am not the one working with/teaching them every day, nor do I know the details of the situation that led to disciplinary action, so my opinion is meaningless.

But, from everything I've heard, we do have a group of coaches who genuinely care about these kids and want them to succeed. I trust they will make the decisions they believe are best for the players and the team, whether or not I agree with them as a fan.

Go Pats! Beat Northeast!   

I agree with you 100% on this

I didn't say anything about any changes on the field.  You make the assumption that you know what I am talking about.  You don't.  As a member of the press, and the go-to person for all knowledge in this county I would think that you would have an idea as to what I am referring.

I can assure you that I have many hours mentoring kids in this county by volunteering my time and by also coaching teams in all sports.  I have always demanded that we play by the rules, have respect and appreciate the opportunity.  I have lost games because I was unwilling to waver on my principles.   I want these young men and women to succeed at life, not just football and basketball.  I would much rather my kids be in the Top Ten than All State.  (I know you are thinking, that is easy for you to say, because your kids don't have that kind of talent......maybe so, but you don't know that)

Bottomwriter, why would anyone want to out themselves to you about their true feelings concerning any subject that even the tiniest bit of controversy?  We all know that you would use your status as the preeminent editorial writer in all of the land to badger anyone into submission that would dare disagree with anything that you might have to say. 

I don't have the forum to "right the wrong", like you do.  How about you use it to "take it up with the people that let it happen"?  You obviously agree that there is a problem.  I could shout from the roof of Gamlin Gymnasium about what I think could be done and no one would care.  Intelligent conversation is a start. 

No more political talk from me.  I just thought I would give my opinion. 

I hate the news about #3.  He is a talented young man and an even better person.  I feel confident he will come back stronger than ever.

GBR......

I appreciate your opinion and any others you might have. I know some of the things you are referring to. Please contact me using the email in the paper, I'd like to talk and share some more.