Mitchell vs East concludes city wide playday last night.

Galilee

Kids move from school to school more than most know especially in an urban/suburban setting It's all good and fine when that team doesn't win. But when a school starts winning everyone wants to complain and say how unfair it is.

Negative it's not good and fine at any point. Not sure who you've been talking to but it's never ok if only a small part of the state be allowed to just because T$$AA has a hard time tracking the mass movement of kids each year in Memphis.

I have good friends whose kids attend UC and have the utmost respect for their Football and Basketball teams but I would be careful bringing up transfer issues. UC had a kid transfer in this year from South Fulton and they had Parker Stewart transfer in last year. Both were legitimate transfers but they were transfers. It happens everywhere. We all speculate that Memphis kids may transfer illegally sometimes but we really don't know the truth. I'm sure one slips through occasionally against the rules but I believe that most do not. Guys like Galilee, who is a retired AD, play by the rules and do it right. I would suspect most do. Memphis just has so much talent that it does seem like they sometimes don't play by the rules when in reality they do.

I have tons of respect for the programs that are run legitimately and the people running them. Memphis is one of the best high school basketball cities in our great nation my point is why should the county schools be held under a different rule?

I have tons of respect for the programs that are run legitimately and the people running them. Memphis is one of the best high school basketball cities in our great nation my point is why should the county schools be held under a different rule?

Give specific examples of country schools being held to a different standard?  

My AD has to clear all of the kids that transfer in here. Then the TSSAA has to approve them. It they approve it then we all are playing by the same rules.

Just this morning my football coach is telling me how Christian Brothers is coming after 3-4 of our freshman. Lausanne took Isiah Stokes from somebody. But again privates don't matter. It's jsut the public schools.

Every team in every city/town/rural area plays by the same TSSAA rules. The bigger cities will have more transfers then smaller towns. The bigger cities and the smaller towns will have more transfers then a rural school. All have to transfer per the established rules of the TSSAA. TSSAA is like the NCAA ... they can only do so much in a given year. If the paperwork is correct and all of the T's are crossed and the I's are dotted, and they have no one complaining about this transfer or that transfer ... more then likely, it will go through.

The schools in Memphis are held to the same standard as the school's in small town and rural TN. If the TSSAA doesn't have any cause to suspect anything illegal or underhanded, then it will be business as usual. The TSSAA doesn't have the manpower to go to every school and fact check every single transfer. By and large, the majority, if not all, would be good transfers, according to the set rules established by the TSSAA anyway.

I remember when Isiah Stoke big brother, Jarnell Stokes, wanted to transfer from Central to Southwind his senior year. Although he lived in the Southwind area, he was playing for Central ... he could do that per the rules of TSSAA. When he wanted to go to the school he was zoned to play in for his sr. year, the TSSAA rightfully told him NO. He would have to sit a year per the rules of TSSAA. Well, he and his family knew the rule, but he had enrolled in Southwind hoping to get some type of hardship consideration before the TSSAA had rendered it's final decision ... even though the TSSAA had spelled it out to him and his family earlier. He didn't play his senior year in high school, and therefore enrolled early at UT in the spring semester, and was the starting power forward at UT, 4 days after he had moved in into his dorm room. (He graduated from Central in December of that year) I said that to say this ... the same rules apply to the schools in Memphis, just like all of Tennessee.

The schools in Memphis play by the rules. More transfers will happen in Memphis because it's a bigger city and thngs like that happen in big cities. It doesn't in smaller towns and municipalities and even less in rural areas.

However, if you think the schools in Memphis dominate in basketball because of students transferring ... you are totally misguided.

Memphis is dominant in high school basketball in TN because of the AAU culture that is here. If other cities develop an AAU culture like the one in Memphis ... things will change. Otherwise ... expect more of the same. Memphis' AAU culture is competitive with larger cities such as New York City, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, and others. If you didn't know that the AAU culture drives basketball in the United States ... both high school and college ... do the research. It's been like that since the late 80's early 90's.

Don't let transfers get your vision blurred about why Memphis is dominant in high school basketball. Transfers are spit as compared to the ocean that is AAU.

Edited by kwc

Give specific examples of country schools being held to a different standard?  

My AD has to clear all of the kids that transfer in here. Then the TSSAA has to approve them. It they approve it then we all are playing by the same rules.

Just this morning my football coach is telling me how Christian Brothers is coming after 3-4 of our freshman. Lausanne took Isiah Stokes from somebody. But again privates don't matter. It's jsut the public schools.

Well that's par for the course in Memphis. Whitehaven, and other public schools have the same issue dealing with the private schools in town. There are several students that played for Havenview which is Whitehaven's feeder school, that are being heavily recruited by CBHS, MUS, and Lausanne. It is what it is.

Have you heard that Ensworth is in the planning stages of becoming a 'boarding' school? I've heard that MUS is probably going to follow suit if that happens. Just think, not only will they recruit the local talent ... now they will be bringing it in from out-of-town!

I'm wondering will that be a good thing or bad thing? Will that slow down the pilferation of local talent, or will it not affect it at all .... or, will it make it increase if they provide housing, and just put the football team in one dorm. Hmmmm? Make's one ponder.

I have to say this however ... I don't mind these local private school's recruiting one bit. There is more then enough talent to go around. If MUS or CBHS or Brentwood Academy, or 'Insert large Private School in the State of TN here' wanted to pay for my son to attend their institution because he is a star football player ... it would be hard to pass up the quality of education he would receive. Depending upon the family's circumstances, I don't begrudge any of these parents for making that decision.

Edited by kwc