Smyrna @ Science Hill : 2nd Round

THSVikings2004

Huge win. Smacked them in the mouth from the first play and never let up. 70+ yard TD run on the first play and we rolled from that point on. Very physical effort. SHHS even put their band in our stands in the first half to try to disrupt communication. They have their own designated stands in one of the endzones. Nice try no dice. Made some halftime adjustments that nearly pitched a shutout in the second half. Gave up a garbage TD in the final minute. Very proud of my Bulldogs. This 4.5 hour bus ride back is more enjoyable with the win.

Edited by milo118

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the onside kick interference rule? That was a big play in the game. Not saying it was the difference but I thought a bad call. The Smyrna player was clearly

going for the ball.

Regardless Smyrna was just tougher, #5 was a hard runner and #16 had sneaky speed. The Bulldogs hit hard out of the gate but Science Hill answered for a half. Not sure if Mathes was hurt but he didn't get enough touches. Bedard was made to look pedestrian for the most part. When he fires the ball good things happen. Bit otherwise 3 pics hurt.

Science Hill has to get tougher on D. We saw a game like this coming. They held their own, they had their moments, then BOOM a big play. Smyrna was in the red zone once all night. They had 4 plays over 20 yards but they made them count.

Science Hill seems to have figured out the DB puzzle, now they have to figure out the Middle Tennessee puzzle.

The size of the crowd was disappointing.

Once again the Tri-cities teams make a collective early exit.      Except Hampton, if you consider them Tri-cities.   It's frustrating that we just can't compete with the elite teams in the rest of the state year after year after year .......

And Hampton still gave up 38 points in the win. I'm going to keep preaching it until these schools in upper east tn. catch on. Hire some dang coaches that know how to coach defense. Maybe I'll put up some billboards, flood the school boards with e-mails, tweet all the parents, maybe fly a plane over 24-7 with a banner.

What is the onside kick interference rule? That was a big play in the game. Not saying it was the difference but I thought a bad call. The Smyrna player was clearly

going for the ball.

Regardless Smyrna was just tougher, #5 was a hard runner and #16 had sneaky speed. The Bulldogs hit hard out of the gate but Science Hill answered for a half. Not sure if Mathes was hurt but he didn't get enough touches. Bedard was made to look pedestrian for the most part. When he fires the ball good things happen. Bit otherwise 3 pics hurt.

Science Hill has to get tougher on D. We saw a game like this coming. They held their own, they had their moments, then BOOM a big play. Smyrna was in the red zone once all night. They had 4 plays over 20 yards but they made them count.

Science Hill seems to have figured out the DB puzzle, now they have to figure out the Middle Tennessee puzzle.

It's not a puzzle. Hire a defensive coordinator. You don't have one.

It's not a puzzle. Hire a defensive coordinator. You don't have one.

If you look at the scores from across the state from last night, or any night for that matter, you will see countless scores in the 30's, 40's and 50's. It is not all on the defensive coordinators. Could be just a bad night or maybe, just maybe (Trigger Warning) one team had better players than the other. Shocking, I know, but it could happen.

Great season Toppers. Keep it up!

If you look at the scores from across the state from last night, or any night for that matter, you will see countless scores in the 30's, 40's and 50's. It is not all on the defensive coordinators. Could be just a bad night or maybe, just maybe (Trigger Warning) one team had better players than the other. Shocking, I know, but it could happen.

Typical response from a upper east tn. homer. What about this Mrs. Carter. What if it is the same team getting beat every year giving up 40 and 50 points? What about those teams that don't give up 40 and 50 points every year?  Just maybe it's the defensive coordinators. No wait.......It's is totally the defensive coordinators. But you keep living in you're dream world. You can keep giving Stacy his foot massage on Saturday mornings and he can be best friends with his below average DC. I hope it stays that way. I'm pushing for a change at DB.

Typical response from a upper east tn. homer. What about this Mrs. Carter. What if it is the same team getting beat every year giving up 40 and 50 points? What about those teams that don't give up 40 and 50 points every year?  Just maybe it's the defensive coordinators. No wait.......It's is totally the defensive coordinators. But you keep living in you're dream world. You can keep giving Stacy his foot massage on Saturday mornings and he can be best friends with his below average DC. I hope it stays that way. I'm pushing for a change at DB.

Keep tilting Don Quixote.

going for the ball.

A couple of things I want to comment on. The onside kick/pooch kick was flagged for a penalty because the kid catching the had waved his hand three or four times signaling fair catch. Watch the film if you have access and you will see the signal was pretty obvious. And next was the size of the crowd. I believe we brought as many if not more fans than SHHS had last night. I know our student section was larger. I will have to say in some way I think playing Jefferson County help us prepare for this game. We had a coverage problem against Jefferson Count that they exposed. We got it fixed prior to this game. Just as you want throughout the year, we seem to be getting better each week.

Question does the SHHS band always sit on the visiting side? What would have happened if we brought our band? Because the SHHS band have their own stands. It even has a banner marked "Science Hill Marching Band" to let everyone know that those stands belong to the band. After half time that is where they moved to. Just curious.

Edited by milo118

Hate to tell you buddy but Defense is what wins championships. A defensive cooridinator (a Good One) is going to have his team schematically ready to play whoever they play. Do you really think Maryville has the best atheletes on the field when they play everygame? NO, but one thing they are is well coached and always are in the right spot. Edited by Swipes

Hate to tell you buddy but Defense is what wins championships. A defensive cooridinator (a Good One) is going to have his team schematically ready to play whoever they play. Do you really think Maryville has the best atheletes on the field when they play everygame? NO, but one thing they are is well coached and always are in the right spot.

Hey Buddy. Let's say the number one High School team in the country, Bishop Gorman, comes to Maryville and lays 60 on them. By your logic, it is the defensive coordinator's fault and you would be calling for his head. Or maybe he just didn't have the players to compete?

Stronger, Faster and Smarter players can make any coach look good. Dumb, Slow and Weak players can make Any coach look bad. Why is that even in question?