2015 Arby's Classic

snhsraider

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O yea anytime you go down to Memphis for Hoops you know your playing to notch talent. I think all are test are done really SH will give us everything they got

Y'all will handle SH. We beat them by 15 and played like crap. We weren't on that game, but led pretty comfortably the whole time while being pretty mediocre that game. They don't have much, but their guys do hustle very hard and are fundamental and don't make many mistakes. Y'all should win by 20 or so.

Edited by SweetScience

In regards to the tournament finals Wayne Co was the Division 1 Ohio state Champs last year and we're returning a lot of starters. Great game. The Crockett game imo was game of the week. 3 overtimes!?!? Insane game by both teams.

As for Crockett they had 7 of their 12 listed as seniors. 2 juniors and the rest underclassmen. This was my first time seeing Crockett in years and I was surprised by so many non white players on there and them doing well when historically they have just been a middle of the pack team. Found out when Good went to Crockett he brought some of his friends from science hill. Good fortune for Crockett for sure and it's good they were able to do as well. #33 was a great player to watch. Me and my wife happened to be sitting next to his family. Glad to see a local team doing well.

Well Crockett's magic ran out against Tift County Ga you could tell we were gased. Then the next day had another Arby's instant classic 3 OTs vs St.James MD we lost and took 4th but still a big accomplishment. Crockett set the record most 3s by a team with 44 and Patrick miss breaking the tournament scoring record by 13 and lead the tournament in scoring for the 2nd straight year 33.5 ppl this year. Great experience in big time games for this team that will definitely payoff for them come tournament time. Wayne County was the real deal they executed to perfection I guess that's why they are ranked 26th in the nation by USA Today.

When I lived in Johnson City in the 90's and Science Hill and D-B, were the dominant teams. On occasion Tennessee High and Elizabethton would contend in that districts and compete with the big 2. It's pretty cool to see Crockett doing so well.

Yea Crockett usually would have a good every 5 years years wen they had Tyler Estep he was NE Tennessee POY they were good back in the 80s when a bunch of SH boys came down and they some talented home grown boys and now history repeated itself. #33 is Dustin Day the kid can hoop he lives in the gym I live his low post game and his spin move but he cam handle the back and got a nice stroke. If he was about 4 inches taller he would be gettin alot of looks from college coaches. Hope we can get to the Boro cuz this is our best year to make it. It'd definitely cool to see them doing so well I like when non powerhouses make big run in tournament time.

Ok, I went two days to the Arby's classic. I was at the Crocket vs OR. I was at the first day too. Here are a few of my observations and my opinions. This is from a pure basketball fan that just enjoys watching high school basketball the way it should be played.

First, it's Wayne Ohio, not Wayne county. They were the best team in the tournament. Period! No real big studs inside but very well coached and played tenacious defense. They reminded me of a Fulton type team with a couple shooters tho. Lol. Very impressed.

Oak ridge? If they had Middleton they would've won this thing going away. But, they don't so they got fifth place. I felt OR was the third best team there behind the Tift Georgia team. Now, on a given night OR could beat any of these teams.

The OR -Crocket game. Well it was basically a home game for Crocket. The two teams made 30 Thress!!! 30!!!! The key to this game was Gee was in foul trouble the whole game. He has to stay out of foul trouble. He did the same thing at state. When they bring in #22 there's a drop off. I noticed they helped more on defense that game than any other game I've seen them. That's why DC made 19 three pointers. They left the corners wide open all night and it killed them. Tee Higgins was unbelievable the last three minutes of the game. I didn't realize how much better his shot is and his range is limitless. He was one of the best three players in the thing. Also, oak didn't get one call go their way the whole game. Then they call a foul from half court on a drive to the basket with 2.6 seconds left?? After every layup OR shot they were litterally swinging and chopping every shot and they got no call. Oh well, if OR plays DC again, I'll say OR by 10+.

This brings me to my final thoughts. I watched a lot of bball those two days. Where do they get these officials? I thought it was just bad in our area but man!!! It's bad everywhere in our state apparently. I talked to fans, parents from a lot of teams and they actually laughed at some of the refs out there. Said they'd get in serious trouble if they made some of those calls back in their states. They said our refs reminded them of bad middle school refs. Lol. I was behind the Tift bench when the coach, who is very animated and hyper to say the least, was yelling at one of his players on the other end and it was packed and the kid couldn't hear him very well, this tub of lard who should never been in this fast paced game, tees the coach up!!! He said I'm trying to get my player over here and he said sit down, NOW! Cmon man, this guy traveled all the way here to showcase his kids and you do this to him?? Just let these kids play with emotion and coach with emotion. Those 5000 people were there to see those kids not YOU!!

On a side note, I thought the Mecklenburg team was the best coached team I've seen in a while. The sets he runs and changing defenses are nice to see at that level. His players were very disciplined.