2016 Region 4-5A

Departing Week One with only one more member team left to play, I give frontrunner status to Cleveland. My family will probably make me wash my mouth out with soap now, but the Blue Raiders looked dominant in their game with Sevier. After disappointing starts from the pre-season frontrunners (Rhea County and Walker Valley), Cleveland, so far, made the biggest statement in the race for region relevance. Soddy lost, White County beat Monterey from a lower class, and McMinn County won their county rivalry with Central, also from a lower class, pretty handily. Rhea County played probably the toughest of the openers in our region and lost big time. Walker Valley faced their rival from the next class up and looked okay, but Bradley still won pretty solidly. Current region king Ooltewah has yet to play, so I might be changing this before the weekend is over, but Cleveland hands down had the best performance so far, so the team of the week for our region goes to the Blue Raiders.

To Cleveland, White, and McMinn County:

Congratulations on starting off in the winning side!

To my Eagles, Soddy-Daisy, and Walker Valley:

Better luck next week, guys!

To Ooltewah:

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be cheering for you against Riverdale! Go win it for #BigBoyFootball!

Pure chaos for opening week. The preseason top three in our region all dropped their openers. Walker Valley had the least embarrassing loss because they at least scored on their opponents starters. Ooltewah scored against Riverdale's backups, but they at least crossed the goal line. Rhea County, I have said all I need to. The reigning champ, preseason favorite, and media darling all fell. The only remaining loss across the region came from Soddy. The region underdog contender Cleveland flat out owned Week One. Period. The other two teams in our region, White County and McMinn County both won in routs. Talk about crazy.

Region rank by preseason poll with week one result:

Rhea: L, 0-35

Walker Valley: L, 28-40

Ooltewah: L, 14-47

Cleveland: W, 51-20

Soddy-Daisy: L, 14-22

McMinn County: W, 41-7

White County: W, 35-7

The class of each team's opponent tells a different tale, though:

Rhea: Baylor, Division 2, AA

Walker Valley: Bradley Central, 6A

Ooltewah: Riverdale, 6A

Cleveland: Sevier County, 5A

Soddy-Daisy: Red Bank, 3A

McMinn County: McMinn Central, 3A

White County: Monterey, 1A

All of the wins except for Cleveland came against a team from at least 2 classes down. Three of the four losses came against teams from higher classes. This, in my opinion, makes Cleveland the king of the week for our region because their season opener was the most impressive of all the region. Congrats, Blue Raiders. Better luck next week to the other six teams!

Edited by kamerb

Pure chaos for opening week. The preseason top three in our region all dropped their openers. Walker Valley had the least embarrassing loss because they at least scored on their opponents starters. Ooltewah scored against Riverdale's backups, but they at least crossed the goal line. Rhea County, I have said all I need to. The reigning champ, preseason favorite, and media darling all fell. The only remaining loss across the region came from Soddy. The region underdog contender Cleveland flat out owned Week One. Period. The other two teams in our region, White County and McMinn County both won in routs. Talk about crazy.

Region rank by preseason poll with week one result:

Rhea: L, 0-35

Walker Valley: L, 28-40

Ooltewah: L, 14-47

Cleveland: W, 51-20

Soddy-Daisy: L, 14-22

McMinn County: W, 41-7

White County: W, 35-7

The class of each team's opponent tells a different tale, though:

Rhea: Baylor, Division 2, AA

Walker Valley: Bradley Central, 6A

Ooltewah: Riverdale, 6A

Cleveland: Sevier County, 5A

Soddy-Daisy: Red Bank, 3A

McMinn County: McMinn Central, 3A

White County: Monterey, 1A

All of the wins except for Cleveland came against a team from at least 2 classes down. Three of the four losses came against teams from higher classes. This, in my opinion, makes Cleveland the king of the week for our region because their season opener was the most impressive of all the region. Congrats, Blue Raiders. Better luck next week to the other six teams!

In WVs case they moved the ball special teams and penalties killed them. But there's no such thing as an impressive loss either. Can't be happy at all. O line needs a lot of work. If they didn't have as good a qb as they do he would of been sacked multiple times. One bad throw late for int. I agree with the Cleveland win. No doubt. Rhea not much different then Walker As far as execution goes. Neither looked ready to start the season. Owls? Who knows. Didn't see it. McMinn I think all along will be the sleeper. Physical and basic team. Beat a county rival but I'm pretty sure Bradley is their biggest real rival game. Soddy loss to a Red Bank team that is average. White county? No idea. I hate they and our teams have to travel like they do. I'm sure in 6a for Bradley it sucks too. Plenty of time but not a lot of games you can lose in the region play. Once it starts the real season starts. Any team can improve. Ravenwoods first year as a school I think they won the title after losing 5 games I think or 4. Had that QB Robinette or something. Good luck to all