Trinity Christian 2016

burnalittle

Solid offensive and defensive lines once healthy.  Overall, I agree with this assessment.

Hey guys- got a question.  What are your thoughts on playing Liberty or any other large school (I'm talking depth differences) in a scrimmage or jamboree setting-- benefits (experience, toughness, etc) vs. costs (mainly injuries)?  What is to gain and what is to lose before what really counts (the season)?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys- got a question. What are your thoughts on playing Liberty or any other large school (I'm talking depth differences) in a scrimmage or jamboree setting-- benefits (experience, toughness, etc) vs. costs (mainly injuries)? What is to gain and what is to lose before what really counts (the season)?

DownTown I agree. A smaller school playing larger schools is always set up for the injury bug. But our coaches believe in if you want to be the best you play the best. If you look back at TCA out of region games since coach Butler arrived we have played St. George, ECS, South Gibson year in and year out. Throw in scrimmages against Harding Acadamy the last years. I believe it has mad our boys better. By the time they reach the region they are light years ahead of where they would have been playing smaller teams. As for injuries, we stuggle with that just in our on practices. We dress 30 kids and this past spring the returning senior running back who would have started broke his leg in practice. It's a tough balance at a school of 245 kids to get the work in but also not jeopardize health. Our coaches do a great job. Friday against Liberty 2 starting linemen did not play. No major injuries but just for precaution the coaches kept them out. And on the flip side other kids got great experience playing and will enable them to contribute during the season. We got out with no injuries so I consider that a victory. We played more than likely the team that will be in the state championship in 3a and our boys will not see speed like that again the rest of the year. So this year it was a positive.

DownTown I agree. A smaller school playing larger schools is always set up for the injury bug. But our coaches believe in if you want to be the best you play the best. If you look back at TCA out of region games since coach Butler arrived we have played St. George, ECS, South Gibson year in and year out. Throw in scrimmages against Harding Acadamy the last years. I believe it has mad our boys better. By the time they reach the region they are light years ahead of where they would have been playing smaller teams. As for injuries, we stuggle with that just in our on practices. We dress 30 kids and this past spring the returning senior running back who would have started broke his leg in practice. It's a tough balance at a school of 245 kids to get the work in but also not jeopardize health. Our coaches do a great job. Friday against Liberty 2 starting linemen did not play. No major injuries but just for precaution the coaches kept them out. And on the flip side other kids got great experience playing and will enable them to contribute during the season. We got out with no injuries so I consider that a victory. We played more than likely the team that will be in the state championship in 3a and our boys will not see speed like that again the rest of the year. So this year it was a positive.

I agree.  Injuries are part of football, just hate to see it happen to any kid, but especially to one who might not get to play again such as a senior or the injury is so serious it ends their high school career.  Anyway, it is a balancing act and you know the coaches want the players healthy so they have to walk a tight rope between benefits and costs.  Hope you guys take it to St. Georges, but they're pretty good as you well know.  They have multiple take it to the house threats so stopping them will be difficult.

Hey guys- got a question.  What are your thoughts on playing Liberty or any other large school (I'm talking depth differences) in a scrimmage or jamboree setting-- benefits (experience, toughness, etc) vs. costs (mainly injuries)?  What is to gain and what is to lose before what really counts (the season)?

Well in the Jamboree, if your team losses you can always pull the "well the game doesn't count" as an excuse. Trust me, everybody does that. Sports Plus is running out of ideas to catch people interest. Can't let the private school play against each other at the jamboree because they play each other in the regular. Same goes for the public schools except North Side vs Southside, which they'll probably play each other in the regular season again in 2017. Also, SportsPlus can't get the teams that reside south of Madison County to play in the Jamboree in Jackson, because they'll want to play in the Chester County jamboree instead. Like, how in the world did SportsPlus get Jackson Christian and Greenfield as a game?

Depth differences? It's 11 vs 11. Somehow, the bigger schools has bigger, taller, and stronger than smaller schools. I've caught on to that as of late. Depth is not a physical standpoint, it's numbers. Liberty has physical freaks on that team. And if Trinity has 60 players on their team, the score will still be 28-0, maybe 21-0.

Benefits? I'll believe it when I see it. Did JCM really get better after they played Brentwood Academy last year? They went 0-10 last year. Did Haywood get better after playing Oakland last year? They lost to the Patriots 49-6, got shout out by North Side they following week (34-0), blew out Chester County (non-playoff team) by and Ripley (winless team last year) by 47. Haywood made it to the playoffs, but lost to Memphis East in the first round.

Will North Side really get better by playing Oakland on Saturday? Wait and see.

Just not buying when people say "If we play this powerhouse team, we will automatically get better"

Benefits from seeing Trinity play Liberty in the Jamboree? That answer probably will come in the halfway point of the regular season. If you think about, they only played a total of 24 minutes, and 20 of those 24 minutes came off of a running clock. They didn't play a full regular season game. 

Well in the Jamboree, if your team losses you can always pull the "well the game doesn't count" as an excuse. Trust me, everybody does that. Sports Plus is running out of ideas to catch people interest. Can't let the private school play against each other at the jamboree because they play each other in the regular. Same goes for the public schools except North Side vs Southside, which they'll probably play each other in the regular season again in 2017. Also, SportsPlus can't get the teams that reside south of Madison County to play in the Jamboree in Jackson, because they'll want to play in the Chester County jamboree instead. Like, how in the world did SportsPlus get Jackson Christian and Greenfield as a game?

Depth differences? It's 11 vs 11. Somehow, the bigger schools has bigger, taller, and stronger than smaller schools. I've caught on to that as of late. Depth is not a physical standpoint, it's numbers. Liberty has physical freaks on that team. And if Trinity has 60 players on their team, the score will still be 28-0, maybe 21-0.

Benefits? I'll believe it when I see it. Did JCM really get better after they played Brentwood Academy last year? They went 0-10 last year. Did Haywood get better after playing Oakland last year? They lost to the Patriots 49-6, got shout out by North Side they following week (34-0), blew out Chester County (non-playoff team) by and Ripley (winless team last year) by 47. Haywood made it to the playoffs, but lost to Memphis East in the first round.

Just not buying when people say "If we play this powerhouse team, we will automatically get better"

Benefits from seeing Trinity play Liberty in the Jamboree? That answer probably will come in the halfway point of the regular season. If you think about, they only played a total of 24 minutes, and 20 of those 24 minutes came off of a running clock. They didn't play a full regular season game.

Yes there are benefits from TCA playing Liberty. First of all, no serious injuries so that was good. Three starters didn't play for TCA due to injuries so 3 young players got reps against stud athletes. TCA will not play anybody remotely close to Liberty(and that includes Trezevant if they made it that far) so they won't be shell shocked when they play St Georges or Adamsville. I think that game will help build confidence for TCA. No doubt the biggest risk is always injuries but a Liberty player could have gotten injured as well. Thankfully no one from Liberty was injured to my knowledge. For you Trezveant fans, yes you should win 2A, but you could not hang with Liberty. Liberty reminds me of the Whitehaven teams. I heard there is actually 7 kids that will most likely get D1 offers. My son told me Liberty looked like cheetahs running around out there. If they get to Cookeville I will be there cheering them on! For the haters out there, I'm well aware it could have been 42-0. Liberty coach played his 2's quite a bit. Heck his 2's would be a semifinalist team in 2A!!

still with the wealth of wisdom. And if you really want to know why the teams were scheduled. No one wanted to play Liberty. Dyer county refused to play them. Even in that 20 min running clock they thought it was something. So our coach stepped up and said that we played them. And as far as the depth issue, number of players does matter. When our offense turned it over on downs guess what those 11 guys step across the ball to play defense while the larger schools have a fresh 11 come out. So I know that it is not. 22 players because some of the good athletes play both ways. But not many. So yes then fatigue becomes an issue. So you can buy it or not it is just a fact. And as far as playing better teams makes you better. It does. These are kids. U play junk teams you play junk ball. Look at JC against greenfield. JC really stepped up in that game. Guess what it will carry over in their first game of competition. And if u want to look at TCA. We started playing better schools guess what we go to the semifinals twice in 4 years. We beat USJ 2 of 4 years and would have been last year had we made the change. Playing tougher competition showed we needed a change. So yes it does make you better.

And as for your comment on if we had 60 players it would still have been 28-0. There u show that you really are not aware of all of the facts. Fact- we had 2 starting linemen out. Fact - our 3rd string QB threw the interception for a pick 6. Fact- 3rd string QB fumbled on our own 15 yard line. Even Greenfield can take a gimme. So then 14 points remain. Guess what if we had 30 more players that would have made up 7 points. Come on man!!!!!!!!! Your the expert??????

And as for your comment on if we had 60 players it would still have been 28-0. There u show that you really are not aware of all of the facts. Fact- we had 2 starting linemen out. Fact - our 3rd string QB threw the interception for a pick 6. Fact- 3rd string QB fumbled on our own 15 yard line. Even Greenfield can take a gimme. So then 14 points remain. Guess what if we had 30 more players that would have made up 7 points. Come on man!!!!!!!!! Your the expert??????

My apologies, I was at the concession stand during the 2nd half of yalls game. Missed the first half of the Humboldt game as well.

So if you guys played Greenfield instead of Liberty would those 2 starting lineman play? Would the 3rd string quarterback be in the game? From a player standpoint, that's great! Proud of you guys! But from a team standpoint, it doesn't make you guys "automatically better" by playing Liberty? I get it, Liberty is 719393729X better than Greenfield, but com'on. Dyer County is tired of playing Liberty and they aren't allowed to play in the Dyersburg jamboree.

I'm saying 3 months from now, you guys somehow win a big quarterfinal playoff in mid-November, absolutely 0% chance that you guys will say "Man! Playing Liberty and St. George's sure did pay off!" I mean guys, nobody cares about who you guys play in the first few weeks of the season. That's what I'm saying and I'm confident that I'm right!

And don't say South Gibson will be a big ballgame for you guys, the Hornets are a mediocre team.

So if you guys played Greenfield instead of Liberty would those 2 starting lineman play? Would the 3rd string quarterback be in the game? From a player standpoint, that's great! Proud of you guys! But from a team standpoint, it doesn't make you guys "automatically better" by playing Liberty? I get it, Liberty is 719393729X better than Greenfield, but com'on. Dyer County is tired of playing Liberty and they aren't allowed to play in the Dyersburg jamboree.

I'm saying 3 months from now, you guys somehow win a big quarterfinal playoff in mid-November, absolutely 0% chance that you guys will say "Man! Playing Liberty and St. George's sure did pay off!" I mean guys, nobody cares about who you guys play in the first few weeks of the season. That's what I'm saying and I'm confident that I'm right!

And don't say South Gibson will be a big ballgame for you guys, the Hornets are a mediocre team.

and that is what makes you the expert. Let's take adamsville last year. Do u think the improved as the year went on. NO. They played teams that did not push them and there subs played in most games. Then when the rubber met the road in the second round their starters were not used to being pushed. On the flip side TCA had been pushed and was better equipped. I know your the expert and we had a goldsmith. But we had him the first time we played them. So again playing tougher teams helped us to improve through the year. So Gibson will be tough. Again you beieng the expert should know 80 kids against 30 makes it tough from a fatigue stand point. And also you being the expert you said jamboree does not matter so yes we would have played the 3rd string QB against greenfield. You sir are not the expert or you would have known we have played 4 QB in every scrimmage this summer and last spring. That is called competition. If competition is good for individual positions then why wouldn't competition be good for a team????

and that is what makes you the expert. Let's take adamsville last year. Do u think the improved as the year went on. NO. They played teams that did not push them and there subs played in most games. Then when the rubber met the road in the second round their starters were not used to being pushed. On the flip side TCA had been pushed and was better equipped. I know your the expert and we had a goldsmith. But we had him the first time we played them. So again playing tougher teams helped us to improve through the year. So Gibson will be tough. Again you beieng the expert should know 80 kids against 30 makes it tough from a fatigue stand point. And also you being the expert you said jamboree does not matter so yes we would have played the 3rd string QB against greenfield. You sir are not the expert or you would have known we have played 4 QB in every scrimmage this summer and last spring. That is called competition. If competition is good for individual positions then why wouldn't competition be good for a team????

You got me! I'm not an expert by all means. Been wrong many times in the past and will continually to be wrong in the future. In regards to Adamsville, after they played y'all in September, they played their whole region, two out of state teams, and Middleton. And yes, they cruised into the playoffs. After, Trinity played Adamsville, they made the switch and put Goldsmith at QB, played their whole region, and South Gibson and Scotts Hill. From a numbers standpoint, I understand. Majority of 2A teams will deal with that issue. That's the pride and joy of watching "Small Town High School Football," even though Jackson is not a small town by any means. Intense brought up the depth standpoint and I understand. However, somehow and someway, you can get kids into the locker room. USJ added about 13 kids to their team, all 13 were hall way kids. Is it hard? Yes. Can it be done? It should.

You got me! I'm not an expert by all means. Been wrong many times in the past and will continually to be wrong in the future. In regards to Adamsville, after they played y'all in September, they played their whole region, two out of state teams, and Middleton. And yes, they cruised into the playoffs. After, Trinity played Adamsville, they made the switch and put Goldsmith at QB, played their whole region, and South Gibson and Scotts Hill. From a numbers standpoint, I understand. Majority of 2A teams will deal with that issue. That's the pride and joy of watching "Small Town High School Football," even though Jackson is not a small town by any means. Intense brought up the depth standpoint and I understand. However, somehow and someway, you can get kids into the locker room. USJ added about 13 kids to their team, all 13 were hall way kids. Is it hard? Yes. Can it be done? It should.

and again we are a 1A enrollment school. With the multiplier we are 2a. So USJ has 100 more kids than we do so the should have picked up 13 more kids. We have 245 actual enrollment. Come on man !!!! Just move on and spread that wealth of knowledge elsewhere. All you do is try to prove a point. Point is I am done responding to you.