Substate changes

dmm88

I saw back in the TSSAA archives about from 1994-2000 substate games were held at large venues and two regions hosting one site http://tssaa.org/pastchampions/9899Champions/StateBBasketball/home.html i think this setup should be brought back. North East sectional for Johnson City/Bristol areas, East for Chattanooga/Knoxville area, Mid-State for Nashville/Murfessboro, and West for Jackson, and all the surrounding areas including Memphis. This current setup that teams can host sectionals in their own gym is getting old. Some gyms are not big enough to hold a capacity crowd(Haywood). I think it would be a win-win for everyone. Schools would profit off the ticket sales and no fans would be left out in the cold

• 1 month later...

This actually started in 99 and only lasted 2 years I believe. They took the top 3 out of each region with the consolation game becoming very important for the third spot. Personally I didn't care for it especially if you had to travel. Clinton had to travel to Freedom Hall in 99 for a 6:00 tip, which makes it hard for most people who work. The next year Thompson Boling hosted, which was a lot better but as fate would have it the Dragons didn't make it and get to play in the Tommy Bowl.

I like the packed out gym. That was the atmosphere I wanted to play in. The only good thing about a big venue is like dmm88 said, nobody will get left out in the cold. But, say for instance AA is held at the Oman Arena, it could be 1500 people in there and you really wouldn't be able to tell because it would be so spread out. It makes them game feel empty. IMO

I personally hated the sectional tourney format. True, it extended the season for some teams, but made it even harder to get to State. Plus, as has been mentioned on here, the kids work their butts off for one more game at home, for some they'll never play on that court again, so it makes for a truly special event. You want in, get there early. I learned that a LONG time ago.

I saw back in the TSSAA archives about from 1994-2000 substate games were held at large venues and two regions hosting one site http://tssaa.org/pastchampions/9899Champions/StateBBasketball/home.html i think this setup should be brought back. North East sectional for Johnson City/Bristol areas, East for Chattanooga/Knoxville area, Mid-State for Nashville/Murfessboro, and West for Jackson, and all the surrounding areas including Memphis. This current setup that teams can host sectionals in their own gym is getting old. Some gyms are not big enough to hold a capacity crowd(Haywood). I think it would be a win-win for everyone. Schools would profit off the ticket sales and no fans would be left out in the cold

Apparently, dmm88, you and I are the only people in TN that think the big arena is a good idea.  There are several gyms that are just too small of a venue to host substate games.

Apparently, dmm88, you and I are the only people in TN that think the big arena is a good idea. There are several gyms that are just too small of a venue to host substate games.

I'm not overly keen on on the tournament idea but a Sectional Saturday with all the West Tennessee games in one location would be awesome