Dobyns-Bennett Basketball.

tennesseestud2013

I hope all of you have enjoyed a Happy New Year.

I just returned from St. Petersburg FL where I was invited to work with my old high school's varsity basketball team.  The present team has an excellent chance to win a state championship.  They have three Division One prospects and a lot of other talent.  I will always remember being lucky enough to represent that school in front of 71 million people watching The Ed Sullivan Show.  Sometimes desire and determination pay off when you work at something eight hours every day.

I see locally where we have a flat tire, two tires completely off the rim, and a fourth tire put on #### backwards.  When there is something weird in the neighborhood, and it don't look good, who ya gonna call?  Not the school board silly.  You will have a better chance with the more informed Ghostbusters.

I wish I could have been a better basketball coach -  Sevier and Volunteer would never have lost a single game.

I hope all of you have enjoyed a Happy New Year.

I just returned from St. Petersburg FL where I was invited to work with my old high school's varsity basketball team.  The present team has an excellent chance to win a state championship.  They have three Division One prospects and a lot of other talent.  I will always remember being lucky enough to represent that school in front of 71 million people watching The Ed Sullivan Show.  Sometimes desire and determination pay off when you work at something eight hours every day.

I see locally where we have a flat tire, two tires completely off the rim, and a fourth tire put on #### backwards.  When there is something weird in the neighborhood, and it don't look good, who ya gonna call?  Not the school board silly.  You will have a better chance with the more informed Ghostbusters.

I wish I could have been a better basketball coach -  Sevier and Volunteer would never have lost a single game.

If you are who I think you are you know better than anybody how the powers that be have screwed things up so royally in Kingsport. You have been there to se it first hand. Sad to see stupidity win all the time around here. Must be a curse on Kingsport.

Waco.....Who are the ones you are referring to as transfers for next year? I heard last night that a big underclassman was pretty much a sure thing to be going to science hill!

I promised the person that told me I wouldn't name names. He is a close relative of one of the players. I wouldn't want to make it any harder on the players. It's a done deal though. This runs a lot deeper than just a couple of players leaving the program this year. This has been brewing for a long time.

I heard from a reliable source that D-B lost two starters during football for the season, that along with transfers will hurt them for a long time,  I also talked to some coaches at the Harriman Christmas tourney that said D-B's Sophomore class will be the one to watch. I went to school at D-B 90-94 back in the good ole days and yes they are down but lets all just face the fact that schools go through periods where they struggle to win.  It is sometimes talent, coaching and sometimes its even the athletics dept as a whole that stinks.  Coach Morgan is a great man and a great Coach and i support him and the Basketball program 100% win or lose. 

Side note-  I think that Kingsport needs to up its feeder system from the parks and rec all the way to middle school. I find it hard to believe that i can get a Job as an asst HS coach  but i was not allowed to coach parks and rec in Kingsport.  It all starts at age 5 when kids are learning the basics lets go back to focusing on the basics in Elementary School and worry about winning later!!!!

Even Buck Van Huss had a down year every now and then, but I think like Waco says it really runs much deeper.    Guys were fighting each other to play for Buck.     But DB has too much history and tradition to stay down for long.     That doesn't mean a state title is in the cards, but my guess is that the FB and BB teams will both be over .500 next year.

BTW, does anybody remember the early 80's DB vs. Sullivan North basketball shootouts?   Two outstanding programs going at it, leaving it all on the court, and providing fans with a lot of memories.

Even Buck Van Huss had a down year every now and then, but I think like Waco says it really runs much deeper.    Guys were fighting each other to play for Buck.     But DB has too much history and tradition to stay down for long.     That doesn't mean a state title is in the cards, but my guess is that the FB and BB teams will both be over .500 next year.

BTW, does anybody remember the early 80's DB vs. Sullivan North basketball shootouts?   Two outstanding programs going at it, leaving it all on the court, and providing fans with a lot of memories.

When did Buck have a down year?

I heard from a reliable source that D-B lost two starters during football for the season, that along with transfers will hurt them for a long time,  I also talked to some coaches at the Harriman Christmas tourney that said D-B's Sophomore class will be the one to watch. I went to school at D-B 90-94 back in the good ole days and yes they are down but lets all just face the fact that schools go through periods where they struggle to win.  It is sometimes talent, coaching and sometimes its even the athletics dept as a whole that stinks.  Coach Morgan is a great man and a great Coach and i support him and the Basketball program 100% win or lose. 

Side note-  I think that Kingsport needs to up its feeder system from the parks and rec all the way to middle school. I find it hard to believe that i can get a Job as an asst HS coach  but i was not allowed to coach parks and rec in Kingsport.  It all starts at age 5 when kids are learning the basics lets go back to focusing on the basics in Elementary School and worry about winning later!!!!

I agree with you on some points and disagree on others. I would say Morgan is basically a good guy but he is far from being a great coach. I would rate him along slightly less than average even by upper east tn. standards. As far as the Sophomore class goes looks like it is loosing a lot of steam with players transferring out to other schools. As far as it just bein a down year well DB has had down years before as does every school. The problem with thinking this is just a down year is this happens to be by far the worst down year in school history. And that goes waaay back. And you have players quitting and transferring to other schools. That's never happened to this extent before either. There's a serious problem with the football and basketball programs whether anyone wants to admit it or not. It's not going to get better its going to get worse.

You are right about the feeder programs. Its about as bad as it can get. Everyone has been complaining about it for at least 12 years and absolutely nothing has been done to improve it. So I hate to say nothing will change there.

• Upvote 1