Clay Co @ Van Buren Co

Shozen

Good game in a great atmosphere. The place was packed with people from all over the Upper Cumberland. Yes, VB was missing a starter tonight, probably our best defender? Clay probably would have still won, but I think it would have came down to closing minutes. Not taking anything away from our guy that guarded Key tonight, I think he played him hard. Key is just a step better than anyone else. His defensive presence changed the way our guys played too. VB's missed free throws really hurt our chances of making a comeback late in the game. I bet we missed more tonight than in other game this year and Clay didn't miss many.

Ok, an outsiders perspective.

Key is very good. Clay is very good. Van Buren is just a little behind and if they were missing a starter like someone on here stated then I would love to see these 2 battle again at full strength! The score is not indicative of how close the game was throughout.

Now, on another note, I've never seen 2 people argue with the air and be so ungraceful in victory as shozen and UC. People keep agreeing with them and they keep saying no, no Key is the best! And then UC keeps coming back with his backhanded compliments about how Mills is a fine or solid player. Which is ok if that's how you describe a D1 player, because that's what Mills is.

My compliments were not backhanded they were genuine and true. I would never disrespect an individual young man that plays the game no matter what skill level they have. So keep your mouth shut instead of spewing lies out of it!

Hats off to a great Clay County team. I have watched and followed the VB program for many years. Probably so many that the boys playing today weren't even born. Mills is the real deal and he will have a great basketball career. Key is also a diamond in the ruff and deserves a lot of credit. It disappoints me to read that VB is blaming the loss because of a starter being out. A loss is a loss. Purely from a fan stand point the biggest problem I see with the VB program is that just because of seniority doesn't mean a player shoud be playing. The group of sophomores are all deserving to be on the court and build the program. When the lead started to slip away I would have to question some coaching decisions. VB never seems to get over the hump and win the big games. It will be interesting down this stretch when VB meets some solid competitors to see how the coach will have his team ready to play 4 quarters. He hasn't had them ready to do that. Their trip back to state will hinder on his ability to do that and make sure he is putting his "best" 5 on the floor. Albeit it may be a different 5 each night because there is a lot of tallent but he has to recognize who needs to be on the floor when. Best of luck to both programs as the season winds down. Hope we get to see VB and Clay again.

Why don't you leave all the he should have played over him at the door. If you have followed this program for that long why would you say something like that. Players get on here too man you don't want them reading that and start questioning their playing time and who goes in when. If your a fan of theirs you should delete that or edit it so it don't cause a team you say you have followed for a long time to get into a turmoil this close to the post season

Edited by FutureCOY

Hats off to a great Clay County team. I have watched and followed the VB program for many years. Probably so many that the boys playing today weren't even born. Mills is the real deal and he will have a great basketball career. Key is also a diamond in the ruff and deserves a lot of credit. It disappoints me to read that VB is blaming the loss because of a starter being out. A loss is a loss. Purely from a fan stand point the biggest problem I see with the VB program is that just because of seniority doesn't mean a player shoud be playing. The group of sophomores are all deserving to be on the court and build the program. When the lead started to slip away I would have to question some coaching decisions. VB never seems to get over the hump and win the big games. It will be interesting down this stretch when VB meets some solid competitors to see how the coach will have his team ready to play 4 quarters. He hasn't had them ready to do that. Their trip back to state will hinder on his ability to do that and make sure he is putting his "best" 5 on the floor. Albeit it may be a different 5 each night because there is a lot of tallent but he has to recognize who needs to be on the floor when. Best of luck to both programs as the season winds down. Hope we get to see VB and Clay again.

Let me get this straight real quick for you. I plainly said "no excuses" up there after mentioning that a starter was out. I'm probably the person that hates excuses more than anyone else. It was worth mentioning that a starter was absent though. No one is saying him being out is why we lost cause that's not it at all. My opinion- we lost because we play a cupcake schedule all season long and are used to coming out at halftime being up by 20+ and not having to play at the level that Clay forced us to. We're just not used to that and it hurts us. Wish we played teams like Clay all season long.

I also struggle to see where you are faulting Coach Sullivan for who he plays. The 5 he started last night are very deserving. You can't complain about that. I think he subbed in 2 more guys the whole game maybe? And even then I think they went in once. Those 5 starters played mostly the whole game. I just don't see where you can even complain about that. Unless you are thinking some kid that he hardly ever puts in should be played more.

Edited by golden33

Let me get this straight real quick for you. I plainly said "no excuses" up there after mentioning that a starter was out. I'm probably the person that hates excuses more than anyone else. It was worth mentioning that a starter was absent though. No one is saying him being out is why we lost cause that's not it at all. My opinion- we lost because we play a cupcake schedule all season long and are used to coming out at halftime being up by 20+ and not having to play at the level that Clay forced us to. We're just not used to that and it hurts us. Wish we played teams like Clay all season long.

If VanBuren wins their Region they will have to play one of the teams from 7A. They have a huge advantage in Spencer but if they have to travel I don't like their chances of winning. I still think 7A sends 2 teams to the state tournament this year but that's just an educated guess on my part. ðŸ‘