Watering down the PRIZE

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Done properly one division that has a 32 man bracket with both a district & region qualifier will create interest over a three week period and increase participation.  Iron sharpens iron.  Just look at the fan support this year for the Indiana State Championships when Chad Red, Jr. (ranked #1 in USA) defeated Nick Lee (ranked #7 USA).  How many programs have been started in Tennessee only because we have

multiple divisions?  My guess is zero!

Great point, I understand TN is a rural state thus the hypothesis that creating more champions will inadvertently foster more interest, but subjectively I believe that objective hasn't been met. Contrapositvely it has watered down the sport, but just think what a single tourney would facilitate for the true believers? Also from personal experience I was a two time D-2 HWT state champ at the same time Cody Sliger from Ooletowah accomplished the same feat; although I can't say I would have one and even been a state champ under my proposed format, the competitor in me says I sure as heck would have wanted the opportunity

In PA we have only 2 classifications AA and AAA. Some of the more competitive AA even elect to wrestle up to AAA for better college exposure. This seems to work pretty with the exception of public schools complaining that private and charter schools recruit. I personally like my wrestlers to wrestle the best so I like that private and charter aren't separate from public schools. It just is purely based on enrollment.

Great point, I understand TN is a rural state thus the hypothesis that creating more champions will inadvertently foster more interest, but subjectively I believe that objective hasn't been met. Contrapositvely it has watered down the sport, but just think what a single tourney would facilitate for the true believers? Also from personal experience I was a two time D-2 HWT state champ at the same time Cody Sliger from Ooletowah accomplished the same feat; although I can't say I would have one and even been a state champ under my proposed format, the competitor in me says I sure as heck would have wanted the opportunity

so well spoken for such a young man. It appears buck lateral rubbed off on you :)

I like a aZ Za nine's attitude

The real question is (as mat73557 asks): does the split grow the sport? I honestly don't know. But one thing I know, it doesn't attract more quality coaches or referees. At least as of yet.

This is actually a very good question. I have wondered before if the splitting up of divisions has given rise to more smaller schools creating and/or growing their programs. In middle school wrestling, this actually does have a positive effect. Basically, smaller ponds make it more motivating for coaches to grow full lineups, compete in the offseason, etc. Granted, it doesn't make for as spectacular of an end-of-year championship, but the overall effect on participation is a positive one.

I'm curious to know how many programs we have in the state of TN right now. The year of the split, there were 95 programs in D-I and 15 in D-II. What about now? The TSSAA website doesn't make it easy to figure this out.

On a side-note, I'm not sure about the assumption that D-I coaches were "for" the split. I know almost nobody that thought it was a good idea. The reality is that this was a sad consequence of people making poor ethical choices. We must keep in mind that while coaches and wrestlers were at the center of the controversy looming around the split in the late 90s, nobody really wanted it. Most people just wanted to see things done more equitably. Pointing fingers and calling people weak is hardly helpful.

So quantity has a quality all of its own now? More crappy wrestling which reciprocates more bodies is supposed to be the goal; not improving the proficiency nor quality of wrestling? Who cares how many programs there are; in my opinion some should throw in the towel, a minus 14 lineup is a joke (inadequate coaching and other support delegate these programs as insolvent enterprises).

So quantity has a quality all of its own now? More crappy wrestling which reciprocates more bodies is supposed to be the goal; not improving the proficiency nor quality of wrestling? Who cares how many programs there are; in my opinion some should throw in the towel, a minus 14 lineup is a joke (inadequate coaching and other support delegate these programs as insolvent enterprises).

No, I agree that quantity does not equal quality. However, it does necessitate it. You can't build a strong wrestling contingent without growing numbers. Take a look at the top wrestling teams in the state and I'd be willing to bet that they have a significantly higher number of participants than the lower teams. Numbers do no equal greatness, but there's no such thing as a great program without any wrestlers. In the same way, participation rates DO have a direct effect on the overall quality of wrestling in the state.