Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

16 minutes ago, cbg said:

The real question may very well be what options if any will Isaiah Powe have if he enters the  transfer portal.

Young man is from Alabama so maybe will stay, but who knows. I saw Askey (who beat Chittum at the NCAA's) and Oakley from App State, both NCAA qualifiers, entered the portal.  

Fun fact, Hunter Mason (ex Greeneville alum and now at VT) came back from a 6-1 deficit to tie 6-6 and then pin Powe in the final minute of their semi-final match back in November at the Southeast Open.  

• Thanks 1

Jarvis Little is in the finals at 132 Senior Division 

Casen Roark is in the finals at 132 Junior Division 

Joseph Uhorchuk is in the finals at 113 Sophomore Division 

Mason Jakob is in the finals at 120 Sophomore Division 

Ryder Smith is in the finals at 220 Sophomore Division

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

Young man is from Alabama so maybe will stay, but who knows. I saw Askey (who beat Chittum at the NCAA's) and Oakley from App State, both NCAA qualifiers, entered the portal.  

Fun fact, Hunter Mason (ex Greeneville alum and now at VT) came back from a 6-1 deficit to tie 6-6 and then pin Powe in the final minute of their semi-final match back in November at the Southeast Open.  

Jarvis Little might have a good chance to start as a Freshman with Oakley going to the portal. Sean Carter red shirted this year for App St. He could be at 133. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Appvol said:

Jarvis Little might have a good chance to start as a Freshman with Oakley going to the portal. Sean Carter red shirted this year for App St. He could be at 133. 

I agree, this is an excellent opportunity for Little to get experience right off the get go.  That would be huge.

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2024 at 12:38 PM, oceansize42 said:

I agree, this is an excellent opportunity for Little to get experience right off the get go.  That would be huge.

If Jarvis could get in the lineup early and have a good season he could enter the portal for a much more high-profile program.  It's all about having great workout partners.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, cbg said:

If Jarvis could get in the lineup early and have a good season he could enter the portal for a much more high-profile program.  It's all about having great workout partners.

Or you could go to a high profile program and get stuck in the depth chart and never start. Grass isn’t always greener 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Appvol said:

Or you could go to a high profile program and get stuck in the depth chart and never start. Grass isn’t always greener 

Many times, mat time, playing time are guaranteed if someone is brought into a program from the transfer portal.  Believe me when I say that deals are being cut every day.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Many times, mat time, playing time are guaranteed if someone is brought into a program from the transfer portal.  Believe me when I say that deals are being cut every day.  

That I understand. Askey and Oakley are also graduate transfers. Once these Covid years are over this portal stuff might settle down. Right now App St and Campbell are top 25 teams in the Country. Be interesting to know how many kids never start at the school they transfer to. It’s really high in football 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Appvol said:

That I understand. Askey and Oakley are also graduate transfers. Once these Covid years are over this portal stuff might settle down. Right now App St and Campbell are top 25 teams in the Country. Be interesting to know how many kids never start at the school they transfer to. It’s really high in football 

The “portal stuff” is only going to get wilder. The rich programs that are flush with money will buy the best athletes, pay those athletes and provide them with great workout partners from the RTC

• Upvote 2