Best way to become a coach?

cougars130

Just curious on how to become a coach for high school or middle school. It just seems like it's impossible to become a coach now a days because the school board wants teachers to coach as well and the passion to just coach wrestling or teach kids something you learned from this sport is not good enough. So without having to be a teacher for the school what other options are there?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious on how to become a coach for high school or middle school. It just seems like it's impossible to become a coach now a days because the school board wants teachers to coach as well and the passion to just coach wrestling or teach kids something you learned from this sport is not good enough. So without having to be a teacher for the school what other options are there?

There are a couple of things you can do, one become an AAU coach at the school and get experience inside the school system. You can also volunteer at the school to get your name out there. The problem you will have is most schools need someone they can hold accountable in the system as a teacher where taking a coaching position away is very little consequence. 

I understand being an AAU coach to start off I was trying to be a volunteer coach for the high school but it seemed as if the school board procrastinates on making decisions on it. I have a desire to be a coach give back to the youth things I learned as a wrestler not only on the mat but as a person and how much I grew from the sport thanks to the coach I had.. so not being able to coach because people give you the run around or just don't care about making a decision is bothering me.. I might as well go to 10 schools and see which school will let me volunteer first..

I understand being an AAU coach to start off I was trying to be a volunteer coach for the high school but it seemed as if the school board procrastinates on making decisions on it. I have a desire to be a coach give back to the youth things I learned as a wrestler not only on the mat but as a person and how much I grew from the sport thanks to the coach I had.. so not being able to coach because people give you the run around or just don't care about making a decision is bothering me.. I might as well go to 10 schools and see which school will let me volunteer first..

Some schools do not want to go out on a limb to give chances like that because of sue happy people now of days. I would probably say take a shot elsewhere or try to have a meeting with the AD to see where you can go from there. Sorry that stuff like that happens a lot. It happens a lot more in wrestling than in football because of the popularity. Have you talked to the coach and see if he would talk to the AD and principals? 

Speaking as a non faculty head coach I will give you some advise. I dont know who you are and I am not promoting you, I am merely giving you a few pointers so dont take this personal. First and foremost nobody owes you anything so your approach must be subtle. You must also be extremely patient with the entire process and I don't mean after one year of aau coaching. Administrations have alot to worry about besides a non faculty coach so be ready to be insignificant in their eyes for awhile. Build a relationship of trust with the head coach and the parents. This also takes time. They don't care if you are a 4 time state champ because if you have a zero personality you won't measure up. It's about the kids. Secondly, be honest. In this day and age we are all naked in the eyes of the internet. I have seen plenty of guys talk about what they have done but after a bit of research they fade away because their credentials are bogus. Thirdly, be careful what you post on this forum. Stay positive. Hope this helps

Edited by Hamblin

Speaking as a non faculty head coach I will give you some advise. I dont know who you are and I am not promoting you, I am merely giving you a few pointers so dont take this personal. First and foremost nobody owes you anything so your approach must be subtle. You must also be extremely patient with the entire process and I don't mean after one year of aau coaching. Administrations have alot to worry about besides a non faculty coach so be ready to be insignificant in their eyes for awhile. Build a relationship of trust with the head coach and the parents. This also takes time. They don't care if you are a 4 time state champ because if you have a zero personality you won't measure up. It's about the kids. Secondly, be honest. In this day and age we are all naked in the eyes of the internet. I have seen plenty of guys talk about what they have done but after a bit of research they fade away because their credentials are bogus. Thirdly, be careful what you post on this forum. Stay positive. Hope this helps

Thanks i am doing all of those things hoping to show the coaches and parents that I have a desire to help and show how dedicated I am to the sport. I want my actions to speak louder then my words I appreciate the advice you have given me.. I'll stay positive..

Really depends on what school system you go to. Wrestling is one of the High school sports that the TSSAA does not require you to be a faculty member. out of my 4 assistant coaches 3 of them are non faculty. Per our school you must go thru a background check.

As far as AAU since it is a separate entity from the school team the school board does not concern itself with who is the Coaches, they just get background checked from AAU.

As Steve mentioned earlier its really about the individual. Most coaches do not turn down quality help, I know I never do. it usually comes down to whether not an individual is compatible with the Coach.

Edited by CoachKramer