Monterey Baseball

Guest 3roach3

ENE,

I admire your motivation and positive attitude. I think that is a good and fresh start to a revolving door at the baseball helm of Cookeville High School. I was told one of the first things you did was remove parents from being president of the booster club. If that be the case, it is obvious that you have learned some excellent things from your father. By the way I have followed your father's career for several years and admire him and his achievements. Much like you, Coach Kennedy shared with several people the wonderful support he received from Mr. Shanks. Over the years I personally have found him to be fair and ethical. I am sure he has made some decisions over the years that some didn't like-but who can please everyone?

At the same time I have heard that Coach Tubbs is serving as one of your assistants, if that be the case then once again you have made another quality decision to surround yourself with quality personnel. I followed his career through high school, college, minor leagues and eventually the majors. But most of all I have watched as he has gotten involved in the community and the respect he has earned from the young men who have worked with him. As one ex-CAV I am getting more excited about the possiblities that are on the horizon for Cavalier baseball. We followed the football Cavs and swelled with pride over their accomplisments this year-it would be great to see a winner in baseball as well.

How is the Alcorn kid coming along? I heard he had broke his finger-will he be ready by spring?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS. AND YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING, I HAVE LEARNED SEVERAL LESSONS RELATED TO COACHING. THE MOVE TO HAVE A NON-PARENT AS BOOSTER PRESIDENT IS SOMETHING THAT I THINK IS ESSENTIAL. ANYTIME YOU CAN AVOID POTENTIAL CONFLICTS WITH PARENTS, YOU SHOULD TRY TO DO SO. HOWEVER, I DO TRY TO INVOLVE THE PARENTS AND GIVE THEM AS MUCH OF MYSELF AS I CAN. THEY WORK HARD IN THIS PROGRAM TOO, AND I TRY TO RESPECT THAT. BUT, WE ALL KNOW THAT A COACH REALLY MUST TRY TO KEEP HIS DISTANCE. I DID NOT DO THAT AT LEBANON , AND IT COST ME BIG TIME.

ALCORN LOOKS GREAT. HIS INJURY SET HIM BACK A BIT, BUT FROM WHAT I SEE, HE COULD REALLY BE A TERRIFIC PITCHER. THE MORALE AND WORK ETHIC OF THIS TEAM HAS BEEN GREAT, I HAVE THE BEST STAFF A HIGH SCHOOL COACH COULD ASK FOR, AND THE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TREMENDOUS. COACH TUBBS IS AS GOOD WITH THESE KIDS AS I HAVE EVER SEEN ANYONE , AND COACH DOUGLAS, COACH STITES, AND COACH SPURLOCK ARE EXCELLENT YOUNG COACHES. I WOULD LOVE NOTHING MORE THAN TO SEE THESE SENIORS BE SUCCESSFUL THIS YEAR.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bplayer

Monterey was a good baseball team last year i pitched for watertown last year , and pitched against u all in the regionals and won ( but u all were good). all i have to say is i look forward to playing u all again and pitching to you all. i will be a junior this year and who is this guy everyone is talking about. and did peters go anywhere b/c he deserved to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Coach Ward doesn't coach baseball in Monterey. I have asked to coach pitchers but, has more important things to take care of at this time. He's been out a few times to work with pitchers which he is very good at.Hopefully he will be able to do more later on.