Memory Lane: 1991 Oak Ridge Wildcats (25-year anniversary)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read that Todd Helton was drafted in 97- and played for the Rockies .. He just retired in 2013.. The article said that he's a projected to be a Hall of Famer.. Of course this is post high school..

Yes and has nothing to do with who should've won Mr. Football in 1991, but great deflection on your part. Par for the course for you.

I'm not joining the argument but something for both sides. I would say Todd Helton still remembers it very well but I'm sure he has received so many awards throughout his career that he would have a hard time taking you to it in his room full of trophies. I'm sure he would have loved to have won that game but he did win a state championship in baseball at Central.  Helton did help the Vols a lot more in baseball than football and had a great career and will no doubt make the hall of fame. One of the big things that may have helped him win the Mr. Tennessee Football player of the year award over Summers was that he was on Tom Lemmings list of top QB's and was also a great safety at Central intercepting 23 passes during his career which is a lot. Sometimes when you have two great players like Summers and Helton and they both put up great numbers it seems that the press is always going to favor the QB over a RB. I think both of you guys have great points in your arguments but as things shook out this may be the reason why Helton won the awardf3gfap.jpg

Edited by BarneySox2007