NHSCA National Duals

Bottom line...  Southeast Regions is a good event. Have been there several years but if I have to choose between the 2 events, I choose the National Duals every time.  131 total middle school wrestlers vs. 84 middle school teams. 449 Cadets and Juniors vs. 168 high school teams 132 Bantem, Intermediate and Novice vs how ever many Elementry teams.... The numbers do not compare!  The competition does not compare!  How many Nationally Ranked wresters were at the Southeast Region tournament?  

Maybe an idea would be to move the Southeast Regions to the same weekend as the Northeast Regions (4/29-5/1) so that the kids could do both the Regions and the NATIONAL Duals. 

As I have been reminded by a few college wrestlers and coaches throughout the years, You need to wrestle the top wrestlers in the country to get  better.   You can wrestle 20 matches in a tournament and win all 20 by tech or PIN.  Did you get better?   You have to wrestle against better wresters to get better. 

I attended SE regionals a 3 times as a competitor and twice as a coach. It's been a few years, but I'm gonna throw my two cents in-

The competition I faced there was the best I ever faced in my high school career, outside of Cadet/Junior National Duals and Fargo. I have multiple medals from that tournament and rarely did a win ever come easy. I believe that every loss I suffered was at the hands of a Fargo AA, and those matches were a huge part of my development as a wrestler. You say I have to wrestle better wrestlers to get better? Because I believe I was. Outside of national champion level competitors, I never saw someone tech/pin their way through that tournament

I rarely post, and even more rarely drop names, so I'll keep that policy... But I watched a 2 time state champ from Bradley show up to SE without much freestyle training and up a weight class. He went 0-2 and was headed home very early

I remember seeing multiple TN state champs competing within the same weight class, helping to decide the D1 vs D2 debate with representatives from Baylor, Cleveland, Soddy, and the Brothers always there.

I have never attended NHSCA duals, but I doubt there are more than 168 quality wrestlers there, let alone 168 quality teams. How many lineups included multiple forfeits? I know the top teams have a group of nationally competitive wrestlers but the majority of teams are probably lucky to have more than one state medalist in their line-up. Quantity vs quality gents. Unless things have significantly changed, I believe that SE has the advantage on quality

Finally, with free/Greco, SE fits perfectly into a progression of competition. Local tournaments where you can get back into your freestyle game, then State (no divisions here, D1 vs D2 can be settled), then SE, and finally the national duals and Fargo for those who really want to test themselves and compete. For me as a competitor, I enjoyed that way more than a random folkstyle tournament at the end of May

At the end of the day it boils down it what you wish to accomplish. If you have any aspirations to compete at Fargo, the biggest tournament in the world with arguably the toughest competition of any tournament, you need to get as much exposure and mat time with freestyle and Greco. Most college coaches will be looking at Fargo results a little more than NHSCA results. Me as a coach I will push FS/GR ALL DAY over Folkstyle in the summer. I think it benefits my athletes as well as supports our USA athletes.

In the end, I am against Folkstyle in the summer 100%. Events have slowly pushed thier way into the already limited FS/GR season.

Bottom line... Southeast Regions is a good event. Have been there several years but if I have to choose between the 2 events, I choose the National Duals every time. 131 total middle school wrestlers vs. 84 middle school teams. 449 Cadets and Juniors vs. 168 high school teams 132 Bantem, Intermediate and Novice vs how ever many Elementry teams.... The numbers do not compare! The competition does not compare! How many Nationally Ranked wresters were at the Southeast Region tournament?

Maybe an idea would be to move the Southeast Regions to the same weekend as the Northeast Regions (4/29-5/1) so that the kids could do both the Regions and the NATIONAL Duals.

As I have been reminded by a few college wrestlers and coaches throughout the years, You need to wrestle the top wrestlers in the country to get better. You can wrestle 20 matches in a tournament and win all 20 by tech or PIN. Did you get better? You have to wrestle against better wresters to get better.

At the end of the day it boils down it what you wish to accomplish. If you have any aspirations to compete at Fargo, the biggest tournament in the world with arguably the toughest competition of any tournament, you need to get as much exposure and mat time with freestyle and Greco. Most college coaches will be looking at Fargo results a little more than NHSCA results. Me as a coach I will push FS/GR ALL DAY over Folkstyle in the summer. I think it benefits my athletes as well as supports our USA athletes.

In the end, I am against Folkstyle in the summer 100%. Events have slowly pushed thier way into the already limited FS/GR season.

I think people need to look at the numbers of kids getting noteworthy college scholarships who wrestled Olympic styles compared to those who didn't.

Take a look at the best wrestlers in the country (high school and college) and nearly all of them are accomplished freestyle and greco wrestlers.

That's enough for me.  I think that competition alone will not make a kid a great wrestler.  They have to have a variety of experience if they are going to soar with the eagles.

• Upvote 1

Folks, there is a reason that Coach Terry Brands had his son Nelson wrestling both Greco Roman & Freestyle at the SE Region!  The philosophy at Iowa is if you don't want to become a WORLD or OLYMPIC CHAMPION they have no interest in recruiting your athlete.  The only way to become a World or Olympic champion is to compete in the international styles. 

• Upvote 1

Here's one who at least is trying right now up in Akron, Ohio, and along with a few Georgia wrestlers of course...

UWW Cadet and University wresting will get started on Friday with Greco, and finish up with two days of Freestyle action on Saturday and Sunday.

CD Greco Quarterfinal Results

42kg: Andrew Chambal, Michigan tf. Kase Mauger, Idaho, 8-0

42kg: Caden McCrary, Georgia dec. Brenden Chaowanapibool, Washington, 5-4

42kg: Wyatt Yapoujian, Colorado tf. Emory Taylor, Tennessee, 8-0

42kg: Jalen Spuhler, Wisconsin dec. Destin Summer, Idaho, 6-2

This is the kind of competition that one must have along with SE Region, Fargo, VA Beach, to get noticed and perhaps be prepared for that super 32 tournament that no one really sees themselves winning it seems, 'cept Nick Boykin or Sammy Evans, and maybe John Kramer one day could.

Edited by Sommers