The Jackson Sun (newspaper) Top 15 Performers for 2015-16

justdunkit

Odom and Shields both do a good job for the Jackson Sun.... Yea, there can be some bias (none that I've ever noticed and I read the Jackson Sun often), but what media outlet doesn't have any bias to it. You win games or are an outstanding athlete, you'll probably get some coverage from the Jackson Sun.... that's how it works...

You put out a list of players who are your "top 15", but yet you don't even know three of the players' name... Some of those kids have also graduated and you also misspelled the name of a few of the kids you listed... 

Edited by GCPioneer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to do my research on this article that he did back on 6/16/16

"Top 15 most memorable games"

1. Westview boys basketball over Ripley (Class AA sectional)

2. Scotts Hill baseball over Knox Grace (Class A Championship)

3. Westview girls basketball over Elizabethton (Class AA quarterfinal)

4. Westview boys basketball over Fayette-Ware (Region 7-AA Championship)

5.Gibson County girls basketball over Middleton (Class A semifinal)

6. USJ softball over Davidson Academy (D-2A state championship)

7. Peabody football over Union City (Class 2A second round)

8. Scotts Hill baseball over Loretto (Class A Semifinals)

9. TCA boys basketball over MAHS (Region 8-A quarterfinals)

10. Milan baseball over Murfreesboro Central (Class AA state tournament)

11. Liberty football over Dyersburg (week 5)

12. Gibson County girls basketball over Van Buren County (Class A quarterfinal)

13. Huntingdon Softball over Forrest (Class A State Tournament)

14. Jackson Christian boys soccer over Madison (District 15 A-AA title)

15. Chester County baseball over Lexington (District 14-AA tournament)

If that's not biased, then com'on!!!!

Odom and Shields both do a good job for the Jackson Sun.... Yea, there can be some bias (none that I've ever noticed and I read the Jackson Sun often), but what media outlet doesn't have any bias to it. You win games or are an outstanding athlete, you'll probably get some coverage from the Jackson Sun.... that's how it works...

You put out a list of players who are your "top 15", but yet you don't even know three of the players' name... Some of those kids have also graduated and you also misspelled the name of a few of the kids you listed...

Going off of the 2015-16 season so yea some did just graduate and excuse me for misspelled names or not knowing them but im sure viewers can associate by jersey number as well. Actually name just didnt come to me at the time of the post

Had to do my research on this article that he did back on 6/16/16

"Top 15 most memorable games"

1. Westview boys basketball over Ripley (Class AA sectional)

2. Scotts Hill baseball over Knox Grace (Class A Championship)

3. Westview girls basketball over Elizabethton (Class AA quarterfinal)

4. Westview boys basketball over Fayette-Ware (Region 7-AA Championship)

5.Gibson County girls basketball over Middleton (Class A semifinal)

6. USJ softball over Davidson Academy (D-2A state championship)

7. Peabody football over Union City (Class 2A second round)

8. Scotts Hill baseball over Loretto (Class A Semifinals)

9. TCA boys basketball over MAHS (Region 8-A quarterfinals)

10. Milan baseball over Murfreesboro Central (Class AA state tournament)

11. Liberty football over Dyersburg (week 5)

12. Gibson County girls basketball over Van Buren County (Class A quarterfinal)

13. Huntingdon Softball over Forrest (Class A State Tournament)

14. Jackson Christian boys soccer over Madison (District 15 A-AA title)

15. Chester County baseball over Lexington (District 14-AA tournament)

If that's not biased, then com'on!!!!

Just quickly scanning the games listed, most all communities and classifications were represented. All the games listed that I have personal knowledge about were great ones...what's your point?

Just quickly scanning the games listed, most all communities and classifications were represented. All the games listed that I have personal knowledge about were great ones...what's your point?

I am sure they were great games and I cant argue any of them because I was not there. A few girls basketball games that I think should have made it...

1. South Side vs Haywood girls with the game coming down to a full court drive with time running out.

2. Westview vs Chester County girls regional semi-final with two of the top players going at it and one forcing OT and the win.

3. Haywood vs South Gibson girls sub state SG down by 15+ early to come back only to lose in the final minutes with key player fouling out and another one getting hurt.

I think it was a great season for girls basketball and with a great crop of seniors this year I don't know if we will see anything like this upcoming season in West TN for a while. I just hope Michael can keep up.

4 of the top 5 are basketball. Yes, West Tennessee is way better than East Tennessee in basketball. But that is largely due the Shelby County schools. I'm just saying that he is biased to the sport of basketball. Yes, they have to be great games and Odom was not at all of those games.

Perfect example: North Side and Hardin County football. Indians took the hour and a half drive down to Savannah and won in overtime. Let's not to forget that the Tigers was undefeated coming into that game. Great dialogue and context into that story, but failed to make the list.

I am sure they were great games and I cant argue any of them because I was not there. A few girls basketball games that I think should have made it...

1. South Side vs Haywood girls with the game coming down to a full court drive with time running out.

2. Westview vs Chester County girls regional semi-final with two of the top players going at it and one forcing OT and the win.

3. Haywood vs South Gibson girls sub state SG down by 15+ early to come back only to lose in the final minutes with key player fouling out and another one getting hurt.

I think it was a great season for girls basketball and with a great crop of seniors this year I don't know if we will see anything like this upcoming season in West TN for a while. I just hope Michael can keep up.

Still not getting your point...girls basketball is well represented on the list. I saw the Westview/Chester Co. game in person, and it was indeed a great game, but didn't have the "story line" of the others on the list. Elizabethton was the consensus to win the tournament with Miss Basketball, and Westview played a flawless game to knock them out...same with Middleton and Gibson Co., and pretty much G.C. and Van Buren. "My" Scotts Hill Lions were thought not to have a chance against the #1 ranked team (Loretto), or the defending champions (GCA), in baseball...but the glass slipper fit. Same could be said of all the other games...and the list is subjective...other mediums could have different opinions, but most of those listed probably makes most everyone's "top games" list in some order.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/08/29/chesters-pipkin-made-move-soccer-volleyball/89561000/

****I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ATHLETE, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE REPORTING*** 

Now that I have got that out the way.  This is partially what someone said about bias reporting. When was the last time a Chester County volleyball player had a feature article? Or when was it newsworthy that an athlete changed sports especially a sport that is not their main focus?  

I bring this up because there are athletes out there that may need an article or two to get some people (college coaches) to take notice of them.  This area has some great athletes, some talents that have not been recognized.  I'm just saying shine the spotlight a little bit wider Micheal. 

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/08/29/chesters-pipkin-made-move-soccer-volleyball/89561000/

****I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ATHLETE, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE REPORTING***

Now that I have got that out the way. This is partially what someone said about bias reporting. When was the last time a Chester County volleyball player had a feature article? Or when was it newsworthy that an athlete changed sports especially a sport that is not their main focus?

I bring this up because there are athletes out there that may need an article or two to get some people (college coaches) to take notice of them. This area has some great athletes, some talents that have not been recognized. I'm just saying shine the spotlight a little bit wider Micheal.

If a kid is good enough, a college will take notice of them.... Plenty of JUCO's, NAIA, D2, and D1 in this area... And if a college coach needs a newspaper article to justify recruiting purposes, then they probably shouldn't be in the position they are.

If you don't like seeing and reading their newspaper, don't pay attention to it...

I didn't say a college coach needed anything to justify their decision, I said notice a kid. Notice- to become aware; bring to attention of.   An article can be used by a kid for their own recruiting.  I'm a transit to this area so I read this paper and several others.  Just strange to see such a glaring difference in this particular one.  Maybe that comes from seeing things in a different light. 

Get a website and write your own sports column,  I am sure that you would leave no one out.  There is 25-30 schools with most schools playing 7 sports for boys and 6-7 for girls.     College coaches are not looking for special write-ups as they may consider the bias of a local sports writer.   You are beating a dead horse.    I was taught a long time ago, if I didn't like the way something was being done,  do it myself.  It does no good to complain about thee job someone else is doing or not doing.  If this is near as big a deal as to you as it appears, anyone can get their own website, you can even name it the  UNBIASED SORTS Page.  Have a good weekend.