NFHS Rule Changes

davidlimbaugh

We are too far south for anybody to think about cutting into the summer ball season. Organizations like the Knights make too much money off tournaments and player fees for that to happen. It is ridiculous how many high school kids care more about their "prestigious" travel teams than the guys they play four years in high school with. Even though that would make the most sense for the development of players and keeping them healthy. It would be interesting to see how many overuse arm injuries there would be by pushing the season into the summer and eliminating part of summer ball. Summer ball has become something that no body realized it would be. High school baseball has lost some of the lore it use to have as well. Too many people care about how many offers they are getting or who is seeing them rather than trying to win a state championship. But I guess since baseball is not a big money sport they could care less.

I don't think we're too far south. Two years ago, during the month of pre-season practice, there was only approximately a week worth of outdoor practice because of snow and ice storms... then consider most years where there are 10 games played in March in sub-freezing temps.

I agree with you on summer ball being so important to individuals these days. I have said for 3 or 4 years now that in 20 years high school sports, besides football, will not exist. It is already happening to soccer; kids play travel ball (or whatever those people call it) instead of high school soccer. 

Edited by SuperSport

I don't think we're too far south. Two years ago, during the month of pre-season practice, there was only approximately a week worth of outdoor practice because of snow and ice storms... then consider most years where there are 10 games played in March in sub-freezing temps.

I agree with you on summer ball being so important to individuals these days. I have said for 3 or 4 years now that in 20 years high school sports, besides football, will not exist. It is already happening to soccer; kids play travel ball (or whatever those people call it) instead of high school soccer. 

To your point on the weather....I have always contended that baseball/softball (for those not involved in basketball) should be allowed to begin official practice immediately when they come back from Christmas break for the very reason you mentioned about snow and ice; especially in Tennessee.   How many times in January and so far in February has it been above 60 and 70?  Now, as the "official start date" is upon on us, we are all just waiting for that big snow storm that will hit in March that will delay team's  practice for a few days. 

NFHS's heart was in the right spot with a pitch limit, but they have made a rule for state associations to build upon that is impossible to enforce. Menees screwed this up at the TBCA rules meeting. A high school coach had to correctly explain it. If the T$$AA rep cannot explain it right, how is a 1A high school coach who coaches 3 sports going to completely understand it? Some team of 14-18 y.o. young men somewhere is going to get screwed over, either inadvertently or on purpose, by a rule with no way of enforcement and judging. It's going to come down to two coaches' words against each others' and the T$$AA is not going to have a way to solve it correctly.

Yep. Two coaches words, an Ump playing dumb, A redneck here and a redneck there, an upset mama, a dad that stopped for a few drinks after work, and no AD coming to a baseball game. That is a recipe for suspensions and payback. Lol Edited by strongx

We are too far south for anybody to think about cutting into the summer ball season. Organizations like the Knights make too much money off tournaments and player fees for that to happen. It is ridiculous how many high school kids care more about their "prestigious" travel teams than the guys they play four years in high school with. Even though that would make the most sense for the development of players and keeping them healthy. It would be interesting to see how many overuse arm injuries there would be by pushing the season into the summer and eliminating part of summer ball. Summer ball has become something that no body realized it would be. High school baseball has lost some of the lore it use to have as well. Too many people care about how many offers they are getting or who is seeing them rather than trying to win a state championship. But I guess since baseball is not a big money sport they could care less.

T$$AA created this problem.  Basketball post season lasts forever with girls and boys not even playing their state tournaments concurrently like every other 2 gender sport.  Then the short high school baseball season and on to summer.  My kid gravitated to travel ball precisely because the basketball coach demanded his guys be at summer camps all of June up until the beginning of dead period and the football coach wanted them in pre-season workouts in July as soon as the dead period ended.  Summer high school baseball stinks these days. So yeah, the committed baseball kids find other kids that are likewise committed.  The Knights and the Outlaws and Xposure not to mention Legion ball are the beneficiary's of the way T$$AA and school districts have allowed school sports to dictate summers.  I would personally like to see a dead period between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  Let the kids choose the sport they want to participate in without influence from the school team and go play for the fun of it.  AAU basketball, travel baseball, 7 on 7 camps for football or college camps for any of the above.  They might find more 2 or 3 sport athletes in the mix if they allowed them to choose their sport in the summers.

I fought this with my oldest son who tried his best to play 3 high school sports at a small school and ultimately gave up basketball because of the time demands on his other 2 sports.  My youngest saw that and just gave up everything but baseball as soon as he got to high school.  For all the talk, most high school coaches don't really want kids playing multiple sports.  And for baseball kids, they're starting practice today. They'll play in mostly crappy weather until April and most will be done by the first of May and then they'll be asked to go to spring football and basketball tryouts when they should be playing baseball.  The success of travel baseball in Tennessee is directly correlated with how high school baseball is set up in our state.

Edited by ksgovols

This is an unfortunate side effect in high school sports. Mine played 3 sports through his sophomore year. It leaves no time to work on anything but the sport there in. Unless the kid is important enough to the team they rarely get to do more than one sport during the summer if it requires they miss time in the other.

The new pitching rules will be interesting to say the least. As I understand it all JV innings count toward varsity innings and days of rest. Teams will need 8 to 10 pitchers to make it through the season.

I think baseball in TN will require more thinking by coaches and pitching coaches. Do we keep under 75 pitches to only need 2 days rest or 119 to only need 3 days rest. Why would you let a pitcher break 119?

Sorry I got off topic before........

Everyone is right when they say there will be no enforcement.  There is no recourse for teams who know an opponent is breaking the rules.  Same as there is no protest protocol during the regular season.  T$$AA doesn't have the staff to enforce those that want to break the rules.  The liability on the school systems is what will self regulate those coaches that want to disregard pitching limits on a regular basis.  It won't be opposing teams that turn them in.  It will be disgruntled parents of kids with arm injuries blowing the whistle on a coach that abused the limits.

Don't get too caught up in the 74 vs 75, 119 vs 120 argument.  If the 2 teams pitch counts are off between innings, the umpire will make a judgement call.  It's not a straw that breaks the camel's back sort of thing.  It's throwing a kid night after night or on short rest over a period of time because you don't have any more pitching that needs to be controlled.  119 and 3 days rest or 120 and 4 days both provide days off and make a coach think about what he's doing.  The intent is good.

Well baseball season is officially here.  Guess all those coaches/teams/players that have been practicing since August/September can now 'officially' practice. 

Practice, we talking about practice, not a game, just a practice.

"Open Facilities" - what happens when the T$$AA realizes it has made a rule it can't enforce. 

I'll hang up and listen.

Travel Baseball will get more looks than High School. When the coach plays to please parents more than winning a game. I like the rule so maybe more than 2 daddy's kids will get a look.

Travel Ball is getting more looks than high school, but it's not because of coaches trying to please parents (99% of the time anyway). Sounds like you're pretty bitter about your coach.

Travel gets more looks because of reasons mentioned above, along with College and High School seasons coinciding with each other. 

I know of no parents that are happy with a coach who loses, regardless of their children's pt. I also know of no teams that have ever only given "2 daddy's kids" a look.

I agree.  Daddy ball is mostly left behind at rec league and besides, what kind of Dad wants their kid throwing 200-300 pitches every week?  It's usually a small school coach with one stud arm that he hopes he can ride to state that required the rule.  There's other ways to go about it.  3 game series in districts like Alabama so that you need 3 starting pitchers to get through the series plus relief guys.