Wartburg Bulldogs?

Any word from the dogs up the mountain?

I had seen where Larry Davis is returning as the head coach and I would assume as the offensive coordinator as well and former middle school coach Ronny Trout will be the defensive coordinator. 

I know the program has been down for years but there seemed to be a lot of excitement around the program last year even going 0-10 and it could translate to this year because the coaching staff has been there long enough to get the players to buy in and learn the systems. They gave us a scare when we made the trip up to play them.

Any returning talent what so ever and season predictions? 

Harriman 41 Wartburg 6

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word from the dogs up the mountain?

I had seen where Larry Davis is returning as the head coach and I would assume as the offensive coordinator as well and former middle school coach Ronny Trout will be the defensive coordinator.

I know the program has been down for years but there seemed to be a lot of excitement around the program last year even going 0-10 and it could translate to this year because the coaching staff has been there long enough to get the players to buy in and learn the systems. They gave us a scare when we made the trip up to play them.

Any returning talent what so ever and season predictions?

Harriman 41 Wartburg 6

where is Wartburg??😯

They've got a good group of freshman. Davis has done it long enough that he knows the game inside and out. They made progress late in the game against very young guys for us. Had we not pulled off then God knows what score couldn't ended up being. Back to Wartburg though, they're about 2 years out from being truly competitive and winning ball games again. I hope they're able to because when Warburg is relevant then it's good for our area.

After talking to the Tuesday morning coffee crew, two of which are from the mountain and played at Wartburg and one other who has worked in sports radio for many years have said its a pretty dark time for the program. No one had anything positive to say about the program right now only saying the program is just holding on by a thin thread and must be desperate if they hired two failed coaches in Davis and Trout to coach. They even said they heard rumors it had been discussed about dropping football. We didn't get to speak long about the dawgs of warts but if their own is talking this bad about the program it must be bad up the mountain.

I remember when they were beyond tough under Davis at one point in the early 2000's and really tough under the heavy set coach in like 2009 or 2010 who ran the up-tempo offense. 

After talking to the Tuesday morning coffee crew, two of which are from the mountain and played at Wartburg and one other who has worked in sports radio for many years have said its a pretty dark time for the program. No one had anything positive to say about the program right now only saying the program is just holding on by a thin thread and must be desperate if they hired two failed coaches in Davis and Trout to coach. They even said they heard rumors it had been discussed about dropping football. We didn't get to speak long about the dawgs of warts but if their own is talking this bad about the program it must be bad up the mountain.

I remember when they were beyond tough under Davis at one point in the early 2000's and really tough under the heavy set coach in like 2009 or 2010 who ran the up-tempo offense. 

The problem with Wartburg is they dont want to do the extra it takes to win. They are the biggest school in Wartburg and have the worst record in the county every year how do you explain that other than lack of leadership.

I can tell you now if Ronnie Trout is coaching at the high school they will never do anything. My son played for him at the middle school and talk about a joke. He is the main reason we left and went to Coalfield which I said I would never do but it was the best decison I ever made because they actually cared about sports at Coalfield and my son had fun again. The guy only wanted to tell dirty jokes and lie about himself at practices and games instead of coaching.

In little league at Wartburg we would have fund raisers for the team to buy shirts or extra gear and maybe one or two parents would show up. We would try and play in the Rocky Top Leagues and the little league directors would try and make us pay to rent the equpitment. Just no support in the whole community parents and coaches included.

As soon as we went to Coalfield my sons 8th grade year we seen the differences. Doing the same fundraisers well every parent was there, all stayed after and did extra. The coaches took things serious. They wanted to win! Until Wartburg does a complete overhall of the football programs they will contunie to be a bottom dweller. The catfish of the Morgan County Lake.

Feels good to be back on CoachT watching my nepheww play at Coalfield as a 9th grader this year.

GO JACKETS!

Coalfield 48

Wartburg 14

Jacketman 12 as much as I would like to get made at your post I can not because everything you said is more than likely true I have not been around practice so I don't know about the Trout stuff but from what people tell me its also correct with all this said I will be there to support them GO WARTBURG

Jacketman you hit everything on the head from what was said at our round table of coffee drinkers. Truly sad times on the mountain from what it sounds like. They hired Davis back after firing him in or around 2008 so you know they were desperate, just didn't care or no one wanted the job. Then they have another failed head high school coach in Trout who either coached at Wartburg or Oakdale as the head coach in the early 1990's or late 1980's then coached middle school ball.

Sounds like the community needs to get involved more and start to fix these problems or it could be years before we see a competitive game with these guys.

Jacketman you hit everything on the head from what was said at our round table of coffee drinkers. Truly sad times on the mountain from what it sounds like. They hired Davis back after firing him in or around 2008 so you know they were desperate, just didn't care or no one wanted the job. Then they have another failed head high school coach in Trout who either coached at Wartburg or Oakdale as the head coach in the early 1990's or late 1980's then coached middle school ball.

Sounds like the community needs to get involved more and start to fix these problems or it could be years before we see a competitive game with these guys.

Trout was the Head Coach at Wartburg when his son played for one year not Oakdale. He then coached middle school ball at Warturg when his grandson played but he was an assistant middle school coach at Oakdale though as I seen him on the sidelines when my nephew played them.

Look I wish the best for them and hope they can turn it around, heck I played there, once a bulldog always a bulldog but I cannot support that bunch thats out there right now. Hopefully changes can be made and they turn it around but I doubt it.

Until then Coalfield, Sunbright, and Oakdale will contiune putting them in the dirt.

Go Jackets, Ill stick by the score.

After talking to the Tuesday morning coffee crew, two of which are from the mountain and played at Wartburg and one other who has worked in sports radio for many years have said its a pretty dark time for the program. No one had anything positive to say about the program right now only saying the program is just holding on by a thin thread and must be desperate if they hired two failed coaches in Davis and Trout to coach. They even said they heard rumors it had been discussed about dropping football. We didn't get to speak long about the dawgs of warts but if their own is talking this bad about the program it must be bad up the mountain.

I remember when they were beyond tough under Davis at one point in the early 2000's and really tough under the heavy set coach in like 2009 or 2010 who ran the up-tempo offense.

if it was based solely on winning, then there's a chance they would shut it down. It's a high school program and its one of their largest sources of revenue! No way they get rid of the football program.