Fayetteville City v Richland's Raiders

Varo

Final....

Fayetteville... 28

Richland....... 20

I know rumor has the Raiders are a little better this year than years past but I thought Fayetteville a lot stronger potential. Not looking as such. A win still a win but it's looking more like CA might clinch 1st, Summertown 2nd and Fayetteville may just drop to 3rd in Region 4...â”

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Varo?.?.?

What was y'alls coach up to the 2nd half? Scored all your 28 points in the 2nd qtr then just quit?... Pray tell.. Surely the Raiders of Richland didn't shut your Tigers out the second half?

Nah, Richland played their hearts out til the last whistle, Scrappy hitters and kept fighting the whole game.  No knock against them, and our lack of offense didn't help.  What also didn't help was three or four of our starters with the throw-up bug earlier.  It wasn't enough to keep #22 Brandon Moore from scoring 2 touchdowns on punt returns, but he only got 55 yds on 7 carries.  That's not like him, so I would say he was affected by it.  We didn't really use him as we usually do to help our running game. That's not like him or our other running back, #1, Emmons, who piled up some yardage.  Richland was the only team in two years that have kicked off deep to us, mostly squibs and shorties is what we get.  Take that back, I think So. Pitt kicked off to us long a couple of times last year.  But we had decent field position to start drives, just couldn't put it in the end zone.  We play a two QB system and they weren't jiving with what Richland showed.  Add to that some QB/Center snaps mistakes and we stopped ourselves.  The kicking game was good for us, 5 of 5 kickoffs for touchbacks, 4 of 4 PATs with a FG attempt from the 27 but muffed the snap and cost us an easy 3, which for our kicker is like breathing.  This was right before halftime. Now, Richland has some HUGELY TALL kid, at least a head and a half taller than all the others.  He took some snaps, ran some, tried to throw some, was their punter also.  Had one decent punt as I remember, off the side of his foot.  Other punt attempts shanked one really bad and a bad snap on another made him scramble and he tried to kick it on the run and completely missed the ball.  We could move the ball, twice getting down to their Red Zone, but didn't go for another FG either time.  I think that's why Coach P didn't attempt any more FGs that night, 'cause of the snaps and tall kid IMO. Either way, we drove and went for it, giving them the ball deep.  Their score in the first minutes of the game was blown coverage for like an 80 yd TD pass, then couldn't generate anything more.  Second half, when it was already 28-7, Richland moved it and scored, but we stopped their 2 pt conversion.  Tigers drove downfield, knocking on the door, but got stopped on their 1 and gave them the ball back.  After a couple of plays, their #14? Gus McGowan busted outside, shook off a hand tackle, and rolled for 80 yards.  This was with 2 or 3 minutes left in the game.  PAT good.  They tried an on-side kick, I think, but we covered it.  We killed off the clock and were glad to get out of there. 

So to try and answer your question, we didn't quit, but neither did Richland.  The Raiders didn't shut us out so much as we shut ourselves out.  We did put in some fresh legs, but no more than usual I would say.  Learning curve.  BUT, have to learn faster in our region, there are no cakewalks, no matter what a team's record shows.  Luckily no injuries on our side and we should be healthy and ready for whoever comes next. ;)