Covington Football

JoeBlow777

WHAT IN THE WORLD HAS HAPPENED TO COVINGTON? They have now lost 3 in a row after a loss to Raleigh Egypt tonight. They were ranked top 10 in the state preseason and everyone that I talked to thought they would be a typical covington team that would probably go undefeated in the regular season. The wheels have come off over in tipton county it seems 

WHAT IN THE WORLD HAS HAPPENED TO COVINGTON? They have now lost 3 in a row after a loss to Raleigh Egypt tonight. They were ranked top 10 in the state preseason and everyone that I talked to thought they would be a typical covington team that would probably go undefeated in the regular season. The wheels have come off over in tipton county it seems

Well Covington does not typically go undefeated in the regular season so that was unrealistic. But honestly I just think Bolivar and Raleigh Egypt have improved because of good coaching. They have always had athletes just need someone to guide them. Covington may have stepped back a little but the others have taken giant steps forward.

Well Covington does not typically go undefeated in the regular season so that was unrealistic. But honestly I just think Bolivar and Raleigh Egypt have improved because of good coaching. They have always had athletes just need someone to guide them. Covington may have stepped back a little but the others have taken giant steps forward.

You hit the nail on the head but I agree that Covington has way underachieved. They had absolutely everyone coming back and this year and next should have been good years. I am shocked to say the least.

A loss to 5A Brighton is nothing to worry about too much. There is a big advantage to be had because of Brighton's larger enrollment.

The losses in Covington's region probably are indicative of big improvement by Raleigh Egypt and by Bolivar this year. I had a post on here before Covington had played either team that stressed that both of them could be much better this year. I saw a much improved Raleigh Egypt team last season when we played at their place. Bolivar is a surprise to me in that they not only beat the Chargers, but dominated us on our own field. They have some real talent there. OTOH, the Chargers have struggled to score and just move the ball on offense this season. Maybe the other teams have caught on to our system.

I'm not sure at 2-3 at mid-season what the team's mindset is. I know that Coach Wheeler and the staff will be trying to keep their heads up. I have seen worse seasons. My son played on a team that was 0-10 for the season 26 or 27 years back.

I knew we would probably struggle on defense because we lost several seniors on that side of the ball. We have some pretty good defensive lineman but just don't have many athletes behind them. Can't really explain what's happened on offense we only lost one player from last year--besides my son getting hurt in the Bolivar game -- just not moving the ball and have had lots of turnovers at critical times. Hopefully we can get better and make playoffs and maybe surprise one of the big dogs from region seven. I did witness Memphis State beat Tennessee in 96 so that proves anything can happen.

I knew we would probably struggle on defense because we lost several seniors on that side of the ball. We have some pretty good defensive lineman but just don't have many athletes behind them. Can't really explain what's happened on offense we only lost one player from last year--besides my son getting hurt in the Bolivar game -- just not moving the ball and have had lots of turnovers at critical times. Hopefully we can get better and make playoffs and maybe surprise one of the big dogs from region seven. I did witness Memphis State beat Tennessee in 96 so that proves anything can happen.

Come get some.

So, Lausanne is a girl's school, huh? Could not have proved it last night when they destroyed Covington. Heard we lost 3 players last week. Two moved and one kicked off the squad. Now is the time for all fair-weather fans to bail out.

I've seen worse teams. Oh yeah, I referred to that 0-10 team in an earlier post. The other thing was that it seemed like it rained about two inches at every game that year. It was tough on us fans. If I had not had a kid on the squad, I might have quit too.

Covington will be back. Marty Wheeler and staff will turn things around. It may not happen overnight, but it will get better.