Is the tide turning at Signal Mountain?

MountainTroll

I'm not gonna thump my chest too hard after two come from behind wins, but this team deserves a lot of respect and recognition for their hard work and determination.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2016/sep/17/signal-mountafights-back-wins-22-21-over-ccs/387105/

Coaching changes are never easy, but for a new school, changing from the only coach they ever knew to an out of towner with a different philosophy, style, and personality, it has been extremely tumultuous. The players who bought in to the new coach and system, and stuck with the program, are starting to see their hard work and determination pay off.

What this group of 28 guys has been able to accomplish this year is actually quite remarkable. Although I give the players all of the credit, their performance is also a reflection of the system Coach Wise and his staff have put in place. We have guys going both ways most of the night and moving around to play positions they aren't entirely comfortable with. We also have several freshmen starting both ways. In spite of that, these guys are playing as well, or better, in the fourth quarter as they are early in the game.

We lost to East Hamilton 24-13 the first week, before all of their injuries. That was a winnable game but for too many penalties and a couple of busted coverages by young DB's.

Ooltewah monkey stomped us with their 80-90 man squad, but we were still moving the line of scrimmage against a mostly 1st string defense at the end of the game.

We were tied with East Ridge at 28 late in the 4th quarter, but caught them the night Mr. Football returned, and we had several inopportune turnovers to lose 35-28. Another winnable game.

Against Tyner and CCS, we had to come back from a 14 point deficit to get a 1-point win with time winding down. Both of those wins were on successful 2-point conversions where our two-way linemen were still moving the line of scrimmage at the final buzzer.

I'm not making excuses. No woulda, coulda, shoulda here. I just want those outside of the program to recognize how well these guys are playing. Granted, we have not played any world beater teams, but to be outnumbered 2,3, or 4 to one; and often outmanned, we're doing pretty darn good.

We've got a hard row to hoe ahead and will have to catch a few breaks and play nearly perfect ball to keep winning this season, but it's good to see these guys get to celebrate some wins. redthumb.gif

Hopefully, those at the school and in the community outside of the football program will begin to recognize the possibilities. If Coach Wise can get the numbers up with guys who are willing to put in this kind of effort, the future looks bright on the Mountain.

GO EAGLES ! ! !

https://www.facebook.com/shartellabrown/videos/1433867466643424/

Edited by MountainTroll

I hope Coach Grider calls Coach Wise and renews the SP vs Signal series.

When Vic cancelled the series four years ago, he said that SP was going to struggle for 3-4 years until their talent was back up enough to consider playing Signal again. Looks like we are getting to that point in time.

This was always a good game and a good gate for both teams. I think most people at Signal would support renewing the series. Will just have to see how the new classifications pan out before we can start thinking about out-of-district games.