Unaka vs Cloudland

YesSir3114

we play 3 or 4 a year over here but its scary...usually end up having to dress a few that shouldnt just to have enough to play. I call em a necessary evil...you have to do it for many reasons but without big numbers they can bite you sometimes!

Old24eagle I have the utmost respect for you and

your statement, what does Unaka have to lose by adding a few Jv games? They aren't really competitive on Friday, right now anyways. They don't hit during practice afraid of injuries. Then get in varsity games and can't keep up with game speed. Most of those kids are defeated before the next scoreboard is already turned on.

Old24eagle I have the utmost respect for you and

your statement, what does Unaka have to lose by adding a few Jv games? They aren't really competitive on Friday, right now anyways. They don't hit during practice afraid of injuries. Then get in varsity games and can't keep up with game speed. Most of those kids are defeated before the next scoreboard is already turned on.

Even when we had 35-40 kids out, we still had to dress out some upper classmen to reliably field a JV squad. I couldn't imaging trying to field one with numbers in the low 20s.

Nearly every school in this area have JV teams.

Yes, but are they working with those kind of numbers?  If the post about them having 5 eighth graders playing up was true, then they really only have about 24 high school kids, with several of those hurt and a bunch unreliable about showing up from what I've heard.

So even if you have 24... how many of those are at each position?  Even if a kid gets hurt, with numbers that low, a few injuries in JV games could cause you to have to cancel games at the end of the season.  How many will you lose for the year before the season's over due to all the things that can go wrong?

It's terrible for the kids, but on teams with numbers that low--and I've played and coached on a few myself, you just can't reasonably do JV with less than 35-40.  Even then, it's tricky.  We once tried to run a 3 game JV schedule in 1A football at a school with 32 kids on varsity.  Due to low numbers at certain positions, we wound up playing a bunch of varsity contributors.  We ended up losing our second best receiver, #3 TB (and fastest kid on the team who was getting some playing time), and a starting C for the year due to injuries.  We had several others we were counting on to play varsity ball get banged up and miss games or be less effective.

Another year we started the season with 29 on the team.  By the end of the season, every single kid on the team was getting a lot of snaps because we literally had no one else to play.  Injuries, quitting, and discplinary actions happen.

To say that there is no talent walking the halls is a joke. This year's Sophomore class went undefeated in 8th grade, won the State Sectional. There were 9 or 10 kids in that class. How many of them are still on the field for Unaka? 3? The fact of the matter is no one wants to play for the current coaching staff. That's why you have kids leaving to play elsewhere. Someone already mentioned the Lyons boy. Ramsey plays on the Silverbacks. I saw the Egolf boy get decent of reps for ther EHS freshman team last year. He looked good.

Also someone with a brain needs to make the schedule. Playing 4 OOC games against teams that are beating you by 50+ at halftime (3 of them 2+ hours away) won't get kids on the field either.

EHS is notorious for recruiting from anyone within 30 miles.

As for OOC games... there are VERY few teams Unaka's size within 2 hours.  All the ones that are close and had openings are already on the schedule.  The closest you can get are a handful of 2A schools, which are usually pretty good... like Hampton.

Unaka's just in a bad spot as a program.  They can't really schedule another win right now with the state their program's in unless they drive 3 or 4 hours.  The closest they can get are Hancock (done!), or maybe Cosby (beat them already this year) or Cumberland Gap (who is improved).  Thankfully, Concord Christian was a conference game, but they go D2 after this year.  The conference will probably add Jellico or maybe Cosby to replace them, which isn't necessarily a bad matchup, but it's certainly not the easy win Concord Christian figured to be for the next year or two.

As far as coaching, Pink's put his heart and soul into that team for years only to have players who don't care about showing up for practice or paying attention when they're there, players who milk "injuries" for weeks, etc.  The culture itself in Unaka is toxic.  That's not Pink's fault.

Pink will be gone after this season...But what you say makes more sense than some realize concerning not wanting FB at Unaka...I wonder, are there any plans for a soccer team up the creek? May shed even more light on the subject.

Football is now a hated sport amongst the Libs today....Is Unaka Lib infested?

😂😂😂

Pretty sure he quit the silverbacks last Saturday after being taken out of the game. Unaka needs him, but you also have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

Threw two INTs in quick succession and he was pulled.

Yeah he's a good athlete, but what kind of message would that be sending the rest of the team. I mean we are just a month and a half into the season and he has quit on two separate teams already. I sure wouldn't want to depend on someone like that.

Threw two INTs in quick succession and he was pulled.

Yeah he's a good athlete, but what kind of message would that be sending the rest of the team. I mean we are just a month and a half into the season and he has quit on two separate teams already. I sure wouldn't want to depend on someone like that.

yeah my thoughts exactly. Couldn't justify playing someone who hasn't been there over someone who has been the whole season.

EHS is notorious for recruiting from anyone within 30 miles.

As for OOC games... there are VERY few teams Unaka's size within 2 hours. All the ones that are close and had openings are already on the schedule. The closest you can get are a handful of 2A schools, which are usually pretty good... like Hampton.

Unaka's just in a bad spot as a program. They can't really schedule another win right now with the state their program's in unless they drive 3 or 4 hours. The closest they can get are Hancock (done!), or maybe Cosby (beat them already this year) or Cumberland Gap (who is improved). Thankfully, Concord Christian was a conference game, but they go D2 after this year. The conference will probably add Jellico or maybe Cosby to replace them, which isn't necessarily a bad matchup, but it's certainly not the easy win Concord Christian figured to be for the next year or two.

As far as coaching, Pink's put his heart and soul into that team for years only to have players who don't care about showing up for practice or paying attention when they're there, players who milk "injuries" for weeks, etc. The culture itself in Unaka is toxic. That's not Pink's fault.

I've always said the creekers are their own worst enemy. They gotta put down the pabst blue ribbon