USJ @ MILAN

Sir, honestly I know nothing of the intricacies of the two programs of USJ and Milan. Here's what I do know.

1. Reitz tried to give you a pass that Milan had it's own issue of not just playing with who got off the yellow bus. As the old expression goes, people in glass houses are wise not to start throwing stones.

2. USJ at LEAST has a separate division to level the playing field, and if they didn't have scholarship players eligible, a multiplier to level the playing field in D1. This is not for recruitment, but because D2 privates have a larger zone they can draw players from, and that they can offer scholarships, some of whom will apply to athletes. This has nothing to do with "recruitment" meaning a school making first contact to try to draw players to their program. Private OR public can be guilty of first contact. Fact.

3. I can assure you of one thing. I have no idea whether USJ ever made first contact in the past because I live in Knoxville and am a CAK fan. What I can tell you is that CRB will NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER touch any of that with a 10 foot pole. Number 1, he ethically couldn't make himself do it. I could tell confidential stories if I were so inclined of kids / parents coming to CAK to talk football and Rusty didn't give them the time of day, just sent them to the admissions department and told them after they had been through all of that, he'd be glad to talk football with them. You will not find a more anal follower of TSSAA rules than CRB. I admire him, but it is near obsessive. Some USJ supporters may even find it annoying....

4. Some times you have something that is good, but not great, and you have to make a change to try for the "great." When you do this, you run the risk that things will go backwards either for a while or permanently, but the powers that be decided that the risk is worth it to achieve greatness. While I have no inside info, I suspect this is what happened here. I'll also make a prediction. This program isn't going backwards....There will be ups and downs like any school has year to year, but CRB is a rock star in the making, with the caveat that he already has proven it.

So if someone has a need to hold on to past biases against a program I respect that. I don't know much that could ever get me to pull for Dobyns-Bennett, Maryville, or a few others, regardless of staff changes etc. I really do understand that. But if you can have an open mind, you are going to find that CRB is an offensive mastermind, incredible rising star, and runs as clean of a program that you will find. He also has the wonderful gift of being able to mentor young football players into becoming better men. Add to that he has the attention of a number of college coaches that understand that players under his study get a level of training that is almost unsurpassed for the college game at the HS level in TN, and you will see that he is not only a good hire, but a great coach to pull for.

Finally I will just say that the offense is just plain fun to watch. You'll notice fans that had nothing to do with CAK, even a few Maryville fans, that would take their off weeks and come to the CAK game. One might win with say a Wing T, but watching an offense that throws it around the field using patterns and skill more like a small college than a HS is a lot of fun to watch, simply as a spectator with no particular rooting interest.

Good luck to both teams this week! Prayers for a clean game and no injuries! And regardless of the outcome of this particular game, good luck to the teams that have to face USJ over the next few years. I truly don't believe they have any idea.

Just my opinions. Your mileage may vary. Disclaimer: I am NOT a USJ fan, I am a CAK fan, so I speak only for myself and in no way associate my positions with those of the USJ team or faithful.

Agreed with on every point+1000

Very impressed with his program

I expect USJ to do well versus Milan.  The Bruins are tough kids that are aggressive yet disciplined and in a great offensive system led by Coach Bradley that can make adjustments during a game.    If they can get one key 3rd down defensive stop per half then the upset will happen.     Have only watched film on Milan and not seen live this season  but they look like a very good 3A ball team so should be an exciting game.

Edited by warhawk