USJ @ MILAN

USJ kicker can kick one from Seattle and it would still go in. Made a 57 yarder during halftime of their game against TCA, and still got enough for around 60 yards. However, that wasn't during a play, it was halftime. I'm worried about both secondaries, especially USJ. Can they stop the run? Is USJ front 7 on defense physical enough to stop the defense? I do believe special teams will play a huge role, I feel like it'll be a night where Milan's punt returner will score

a touchdown. Milan not close, but not a blowout either.

Milan 49

USJ 41

To beat a Rusty Bradley offense, you need:

Consistent, all-out pass rush, mixing it up with blitzes from different sides each play and up the middle, including delayed blitzes to catch RBs sleeping;

Jam receivers on the line and delay them getting into their routes;

Hope you get enough pass rush to force the QB to make bad decisions or errant passes.

Getting a consistent pass rush each play and also jamming receivers takes certain personnel. If you've got those personnel, like Alcoa usually does for example, you can disrupt the offense. If you don't have those personnel, you have to rush some and sit back in zone and just HOPE the QB will make some mistakes.

Milan fans who saw the two state championship match-ups against CAK have to bear in mind that those two years were not a "typical" Rusty Bradley offense. The play calling and scheme were "typical" but the personnel were well above average in every aspect of the offense, starting with an O Line that was, in my opinion, easily the best in the state both years. While USJ definitely has a highly touted lineman this year, I don't know if Mark Bradley has had sufficient time to work his magic with the USJ OL as a complete unit to provide the kind of consistent protection that makes that type of offense click.

Milan seems to always have some very good athletes and well coached. This should be a very interesting match-up. Good luck to both teams.

you could be right gov...I just think Milan is better in all phases...except for place kicker...Milan has a good one but USJ's could nail one from the parking lot from what I hear..Milan has 4 tailbacks that could start for any team...best receiver in the state (Liberty's coach's words)...USJ great passing game...soft running game and suspect D...I'll stay with Milan...38-28....I could be wrong but I'm usually not...lol....

To beat a Rusty Bradley offense, you need:

Consistent, all-out pass rush, mixing it up with blitzes from different sides each play and up the middle, including delayed blitzes to catch RBs sleeping;

Jam receivers on the line and delay them getting into their routes;

Hope you get enough pass rush to force the QB to make bad decisions or errant passes.

Getting a consistent pass rush each play and also jamming receivers takes certain personnel. If you've got those personnel, like Alcoa usually does for example, you can disrupt the offense. If you don't have those personnel, you have to rush some and sit back in zone and just HOPE the QB will make some mistakes.

Milan fans who saw the two state championship match-ups against CAK have to bear in mind that those two years were not a "typical" Rusty Bradley offense. The play calling and scheme were "typical" but the personnel were well above average in every aspect of the offense, starting with an O Line that was, in my opinion, easily the best in the state both years. While USJ definitely has a highly touted lineman this year, I don't know if Mark Bradley has had sufficient time to work his magic with the USJ OL as a complete unit to provide the kind of consistent protection that makes that type of offense click.

Milan seems to always have some very good athletes and well coached. This should be a very interesting match-up. Good luck to both teams.

I'll agree with W2011, and add that the 2 state championship years, CAK had a record setting QB and the best trio of WR I have ever seen in HS football in TN (perhaps not the best ONE but the best group of 3).

However, what CRB did NOT have was 80+ players to work with. He has never had that kind of depth. Our best WR played with a thumb that was broken to the point of being sickening to look at, and only got better and tougher. USJ has much more to work with in terms of quantity of players. In addition, while CAK had 2 players that could absolutely fly (Josh Smith, Franklin Murchinson) USJ has more  overall speed than we had those two years. I don't think USJ has the caliber of OL or QB or WR's that CRB developed, but they do have some other tools to work with. My pick is still Milan, but I think this has the makings of a potential upset....And I'm not going to believe that Milan has the athletes to line up and run with multiple receivers until I see it. If they have to play zone I believe the QB will pick them apart with this offense. JMO.

What are everyone's thought on this game? I have bad memories of CRB led teams. Have not seen them this year but have listened to a couple of games. Sounds like those boys play without an ounce of quit in them. The BGA game sounded incredible.

Good luck to your boys this week BPM! Hope you guys get back on that winning track this week! I'll be keeping up!!

This game is pretty exciting to look at...

A linemen from Milan headed to Duke... a linemen from USJ headed to Tennessee...

USJ QB obviously throws it around the field... Milan's QB has potential to throw it around the field...

Does Milan use their offense as their defense... or does USJ just outscore Milan in a shootout...

Both have legendary coaches...

This game is pretty exciting to look at...

A linemen from Milan headed to Duke... a linemen from USJ headed to Tennessee...

USJ QB obviously throws it around the field... Milan's QB has potential to throw it around the field...

Does Milan use their offense as their defense... or does USJ just outscore Milan in a shootout...

Both have legendary coaches...

good points GC....It'll be a shootout but I still believe defense wins ball games and Milan has the upper hand in that dept....I think Morris knows he has to use his offense as defense...meaning he has to use his running game to keep USJ's offense off the field...Bradley's passing offense torched Milan in the 2011 and 12 Clinic bowls but as a previous poster said, he doesn't have near the QB and receivers now than when he was at CAK...I'm sticking with Milan 38-28...but I could be wrong...and other than a "pay for play" school vs a "what gets off that yellow bus" school, the game is just for bragging rights....

Edited by cofo

good points GC....It'll be a shootout but I still believe defense wins ball games and Milan has the upper hand in that dept....I think Morris knows he has to use his offense as defense...meaning he has to use his running game to keep USJ's offense off the field...Bradley's passing offense torched Milan in the 2011 and 12 Clinic bowls but as a previous poster said, he doesn't have near the QB and receivers now than when he was at CAK...I'm sticking with Milan 38-28...but I could be wrong...and other than a "pay for play" school vs a "what gets off that yellow bus" school, the game is just for bragging rights....

I agree, this game is just for bragging rights. Somewhat like when CAK beat Webb last year, and Webb beat CAK this year. Neither had anything to do with the potential or lack there of to win a state championship. But I am very confident that both teams wanted very badly to win those games. It means a LOT to the kids, the fans, and the coaches. I look for Milan to try to control the clock, establish the run, and then pass when USJ is having to be concerned about defending the run. I look for USJ to do the exact opposite. Establish the pass, make Milan defend it, and then run when Milan is concentrating on the pass.

If CAK had a bye this week and the game was a little closer, I would definitely attend this one. I could certainly be wrong, but I expect it to be a close game and a great match up. I think earlier this year, Milan was licking their chops for a little payback to a CRB team. Maybe not quite so sure now.... We'll know in a few days.

. Thanks brother!! Same to your boys. Dburg is tough!!!

Yeah, I've watched their game film!! Just hoping to hang with them & be competitive!! Hopefully escape with no injuries and see what we need to work on before playoffs start!! Maybe you guys will have some time consuming drives and their offense doesn't get a chance to get rolling!! 

In most years, I'd say USJ can't stop Milan, and Milan can't stop USJ.

Games like that usually favor the running team.

This year, USJ has the top lineman in the country in the middle of their defense.

Trey Smith is good enough to stop two Milan drives.

USJ 48 - Milan 34