BA-MBA Play Makes #1 Play on Sportscenter...but, was it legal

CoachT

http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/article.cfm?id=573166http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/article.cfm?id=573166

Great play but was it legal? I have been away from coaching for a long time and I am not sure about this at all...which is why I am posting it here. Not trying to change the outcome of the game or anything but can you bat a forward pass forward for a legal catch?

First let me say it was a great play and heads up to the player that volleyed the football to the receiver in the end zone. I'm not a fan of either team. I was at the game sitting on BA side and immediately yelled out "Isn't that illegal batting" but no one in my area except me seemed to think so. I would like to know for sure.

Illegal Batting Rule states (Rule 9-7)

ART. 1... No player shall intentionally kick the ball other than as a free or scrimmage kick. 

ART. 2... No player shall bat a loose ball other than a pass or a fumble in flight, or a low scrimmage kick in flight which he is attempting to block in or behind the expanded neutral zone.

Great play! Don't think it should have happened.

Illegal Batting Rule states (Rule 9-7)

ART. 1... No player shall intentionally kick the ball other than as a free or scrimmage kick. 

ART. 2... No player shall bat a loose ball other than a pass or a fumble in flight, or a low scrimmage kick in flight which he is attempting to block in or behind the expanded neutral zone.

Great play! Don't think it should have happened.

It WAS a pass so article 2 states it was legal. Moreover, I asked a local official and he verified the play was legal.