Antioch at Lebanon

steelcityroller

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who would want that job?

I would imagine there are always young coaches out there that want to be a Head Coach. As bad as Lebanon is its still a big school.

If you were an interested coach you would have to look at lebanon as having 2 paths.

(1) There is nowhere for this program to go but up. If you can return this program to even respectable status that gives you job security and possibly even a chance to move onto a better job.

(2) This school remains in the toilet and you get canned after 2-4 seasons and likely will have a hard time to get another head coaching job.

I tell you somebody that I would at least call. Kyle Shoulders. He is a young guy (33 or 34) who has coached at both bad programs and a great program. He was an offensive coordinator for 2 years for a very bad Macon County team. He then took the Head Coaching job at Red Boiling Springs which was the worst football program in the state at that time on a 61-game losing streak. He won 21 games there and took that program to its first ever playoff game. He now is an assistant coach at Oakland. When Kevin Creasy left Trousdale County to take that job he had noticed what Shoulders had done at RBS and said he had to have that guy on his staff.

Would he take the job at Lebanon? I don't know. But I would at least give him a call.

Whoever gets in there its looking like the region games are gonna be mostly the same. From what I'm seeing the region is likely to stay the same and just swap Ravenwood, Franklin and Overton for Cane Ridge, Hendersonville and Station Camp. You are getting about the same group in and out.

But for the non-region games they need to drop Summit. When they started scheduling Summit that program was in the dumps had gone 1-19 the 2 previous seasons. They have gone 11-6 the last 2 years.

If they can maybe try to get Glencliff or Hunters Lane to take that spot. Glencliff only has 6 wins in the last 5 years. Hunters Lane has had 7 wins in the least 5 years and 4 of them are against Glencliff.....

Antioch's woodward is a great coach. He will make Antioch competitive again.

As for Brentwood, the previous coach set Woodward up for failure with a brutal schedule and no weight program. Brentwood's admin made a huge mistake but Woodward has found a home again .

As for who would want Lebanon if harp leaves, as has been said young coaches always want a shot. Coaches from out of state might give it a look as a stepping stone. I think this was probably harps idea that never panned out.

Antioch's woodward is a great coach. He will make Antioch competitive again.

As for Brentwood, the previous coach set Woodward up for failure with a brutal schedule and no weight program. Brentwood's admin made a huge mistake but Woodward has found a home again .

As for who would want Lebanon if harp leaves, as has been said young coaches always want a shot. Coaches from out of state might give it a look as a stepping stone. I think this was probably harps idea that never panned out.

Witnessing Antioch play this season I can't agree, I counted less than 50 varsity players dressed out, no band, less than 150 people in home attendance. Things looked very sad from what I witnessed.

Clearly you don't know metro. Most metro teams are doing good to get fifty varsity players and have 150 people in the stands. Most don't understand what metro coaches go through on a daily basis. Is it sad, yes because it wasn't always like that. When metro had the NIL all was good.

Just an Outsider looking in,it sure didn't look promising like you stated in your previous post.

Back when the NIL was in existence you had neighborhood schools like Wilson, Rutherford, Sumner, etc. Then the experimenting started with bussing kids all over and that is where things are now. Add to that the fact that all of the private schools go after all the talent and the fact that a lot of metro parents are working late shifts or two jobs and you don't have much of a fan base. That's not even mentioning the very diverse populations at most metro schools.

Yeah well what exactly have I said that you take exception to? I will without hesitation say that this is not completely on him. i already said that he ain't got much to work with. But at some point you've just got to cut your losses and try some fresh ideas and perspective. In his fourth year they shouldn't be getting hammered by Warren Co and giving games away vs Antioch. I'm not asking for region titles just moderate improvement.

Please explain! How is that some coaches (ie Harp) get the "well he ain't got much to work with", excuse and the previous two coaches were just terrible coaches that were basically clueless. I have witnessed a few coaches that were always tough to play every Friday night; I thought with Harp's super-duper pedigree and record that he was of that category ----- HE AIN'T!!  He is really very ordinary on both sides of the ball

I suspect his sterling record in KY was achieved with year in and out better talent + he was playing in a single A type setting which means he had to actually catch 2-3 tough games per year. He got to "shoot birds over a baited field" The highest classifications in most states is simply a week in and week out buzz saw. Harp has never faced that till he came here.

Now I seen a couple names mentioned............heck Woodard came into a worst sitiuation than Mr Harp.........*note Antioch is only 0-11 team in the history of the TSSAA, and will retain that dubious honor FOREVER; as the set-up is changing next year. Woodard comes in, and in the first year polishes off Mr Harp and the Debils..............

If ya'll think Brentwood made a mistake..............I would go after Woodard. Just my two cents

Is it simply a matter of coaching? They used to have athletes in Lebanon. Aren't the facilities good? Antioch will always be competitive with Woodard. Just have to keep some players on their side of the cane ridge line.

I have posted on it before there are quite a few factors that make it hard at Lebanon. Just a couple

- People don't "live" in Lebanon like they do in many surrounding areas. There are often families coming and going from the area. Over 40% of the residences in Lebanon city limits are rentals. That is in comparison to around 20% for areas in the county and surrounding areas. So you get alot of kids coming and going.

- Friendship Christian poaches alot of the top players before they even get to Lebanon.

- The kids that are zoned for Lebanon are more likely to come from lower income and single-parent households. Which means those parents are less likely to have the time or desire to push their children into athletics.

- The structure of the feeder schools has it where Lebanon high is getting Jr. High students from multiple schools. So when these kids are Freshman they are coming from all these different schools having never played together and having played in different schemes. Whereas for example Mt. Juliet almost all of them come from Mt. Juliet Middle so they played together and in the same systems.