private schools can't touch maryville

JPATS5

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Responses in a thread like this one are dictated so much by the tone set early on in the thread. What type of responses would one expect by "private schools can't touch maryville"? Change it to "Maryville Would Be Competitive and Then Some With Privates" and see how many people - even privates supporters - praise Maryville and give them their due.

I will still praise Maryville, regardless of the thread title. They are great, and probably the best in all classes of Division I. I think they are better than the best DII school (BA), too, this year (although, in a series of games, the DII school would win games). But I will say with the same conviction that if you put them up against, for example, the '99 MBA team, they lose a disproportionate number of games. Put them up against the '01 McCallie team and you probably see a 50/50 series. Superiority runs in cycles, and I think we would all get along better if we just acknowledged the other side's superiority when it is that side's turn to be on top (as best as we can tell since the Maryville/private matchup isn't actually occurring).

By the way, mhs, I would classify your last post as the type of post I would consider typical of a typical Maryville fan - classy and humble.

I watched McCallie play this year and listend to everyone praise them, sure they beat ND 55-0 but that was the most boring game I have ever seen in my whole life. McCallie looks small and slow, they weren't tops this year were they? How did they beat BA that one time??? Anyway we can talk about how good Maryville is this year and our detractors can shut up, but next year people will come out of the woodworks to talk trash and bash Maryville, many of them will register in August or Sept and talk a lot of it. If Maryville starts playing privates it will be weird but I think with the exception of next year, we will still light anyone up. And as far as that Blue Raider who said he is ready, he better get ready because its on.

We've had this discussion before - yes talk is cheap and no, we don't Really for sure know who the best team is until everybody plays everybody else - No you probably won't see Maryville scheduling private schools anytime soon but don't play if off like it's because they're scared or don't want a challange - that's ridiculous and any good coach knows that scheduling tough non-region or even non division games makes you better. It's because of that stupid "blount county championship" which is about the dumbest thing in the world, since maryville and alcoa have historically dominated. In my opinion Maryville should drop playing William Blount and Heritage like a gerald riggs fumble! (it was a cheap shot, i know). I and so would other fans love to see a BA Maryville matchup or a Germantown maryville matchuup or any other good private or non 4A public game. But as Johnny Majors once said "if if's and buts were candy and nuts what a merry christmas it would be" lol But it's still fun to SPEC - U - LATE ;)

why is maryville so great? simple. coach quarles has implemented an attitude and work ethic into the maryville football program that is being trickled down to all levels of football in the community of maryville. they can't be touched or matched by any other program in tennessee private or public, period. :D

Maryville is obviously a great program. You can't dispute that with a team with as many wins and championships as they have, but like gobigred said, talk is cheap. If ya'll are so confident you can beat the privates, then why don't you schedule them. I'm possitive that mba, ba, and mccallie will all have open dates in the next two years, and i'm positive that they'd be more than willing to schedule maryville. if you're so good then you should be eager to get out of east tn and prove yourself.

LETS ALL BE SERIOUS HERE FOR A MOMENT AND COME TO THE REALITY SOME OF US CALL EARTH. MARYVILLE, YOU NEED TO GET YOUR NOSE OUT OF THE CLOUDS AND ACCEPT THE FACT EVERYONE IS CAPABLE OF GETTING BEAT. WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE THE LAST FEW YEARS IS GREAT BUT YOUR PLAYING A FOOTBALL TEAM THIS FRIDAY THAT IS VERY CAPABLE OF BEING YOUR TICKET OUT. NO, YOU CANT BEAT EVERY FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE STATE. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN RIVERDALE, JACKSON CENTRAL MARRY, THEIR MUCH MORE OVER THE TOP WITH TALENT AND SKILLS THAN YOU GUYS. TRUST ME, YOUR NOT THE MOST PERFECT TEAM OUT THERE. I RESPECT WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE BUT YOUR NOT GODS. YOU NEED TO BE THINKING ABOUT CLEVELAND AND NOT BEING BULLYS WHICH YOU ARE FAR FROM.

Well first off, I think that a real Maryville fan didn't even start this thread. I think most the real Maryville fans have stayed out of it. The ones that have chimed in have told their opinions, I agree with their opinions, but I prefer to keep them to myself. I am not going to run my mouth and say we're the best team in the state or 4A for that matter until we prove it. This year no team has been truely close to beating us, we have beaten ourselves half the time. The Central game was close because of Maryville turnovers, the Powell game was close in the 2nd half because of Maryville turnovers. However, turnovers are apart of the game and anyone at anytime can be beaten, I just think its going to be tough to beat Maryville. You can say that we won't beat Private schools but you haven't even seen Maryville play, we have beaten a lot of great 5A teams in scrimmages and two 5A teams in the season, we are capable of playing with a larger, better, school. Will we beat Riverdale? Well, I think we can hang with them atleast for a little bit, win? Maybe not, but we wouldn't let them blow us out. Don't think all the people posting for Maryville are Maryville fans, because from what I can tell the two main ones aren't true Maryville fans! Also...Maryville has beaten two of the best teams in 4A...one in a slaughter and the other in a close game. Last year Melrose fans said they'd take Maryville, just like Hillsboro fans did. Well the redneck boys from East Tennessee showed the big city kids how to play ball, and they've done so to three different teams in the past 4 years. Don't understimate them, but Maryville fans, don't overestimate them!